Headband OG lost smell during flowering

• Thread starter alohafred
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
alohafred

alohafred

Ideas? I'm starting a 2nd grow and would like to max the smell.

I legally grew Headband OG along with Caramelicious and Zkittlez begining last December. At about week 6 of flowering, the Headband lost all fragrance and even after properly curing about a month, continued to smell only of hay. Otherwise the plant looked healthy, no sign of nutrient or heat burn. The plant matured earlier than the other strains and had good aroma initially. The other 2 strains maintained decent aroma.

Conditions:
Indoor grow w 1200 w LED ranging from 18 in during veg to 22 inch during flowering. Natural ingredient soil and fertilization with Fox Farms trio following Fox Farms guideline at about 60% strength until about week 7, then only water. Temp was low 70's to mid 80's with a ceiling fan left on low. We had a fair amount of rain during the grow so humidity was usually in the 70's or low 80's.

The seeds were started in Jiffy pellets, moved to dixie cups at about 1 week, then to 3 gallon pots at about 2-3 weeks. I was careful not to over water. Switched from veg to flower cycle about 6 weeks after germination. Harvest was at about 8 weeks into flower with plenty of trichomes and some milkiness going on.

I hang dried for about 10 days, switching on the AC at about day 6 since it seemed drying was too slow, humidity possibly too high. I cured in mason jars and even added the humidity control packets a week or two into the cure. Potency seems adequate.

Suspect conditions?
On pulling the roots, there weren't much roots. I'm wondering if the Jiffy netting restricted root growth?
Was the humidity too high?

On this grow, the humidity is more in the 50's and 60's but temperatures mid 70's to mid 90's. I planted directly in the soil, no Jiffy pellets. I used Fox Farms soil and haven't added any nutrients, switched to flower cycle at week 4 about a week ago. I'm thinking to start the flowering nutrient for a week or two, then back to just water. The plants look good so far, have just completed their stretch. I'm thinking to switch on the AC at about week 6.5 or 7. The strain is supposed to flower 8-10 weeks but I'm thinking to harvest a little early if the hairs are red and the smell good, don't want to lose the aroma again. Does blackstrap molasses really work or just a myth?

Feedback appreciated!

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I hang dried for about 10 days, switching on the AC at about day 6 since it seemed drying was too slow

A slow dry is what you want, switching on the A/C dropped the humidity and dried out your plants in a heartbeat sucking all the good good terps with it.

Search the forum for tips on curing.

alohafred

alohafred

Possibly, thanks, but why did the smell disappear while still growing?

alohafred

alohafred

Possibly, thanks, but why did the smell disappear while still growing?
Also, the other 2 strains seemed to reduce their smell late in flowering but retained decent smell through the cure. They were, however dried in about 7 days with AC the whole dry.

alohafred

alohafred

Is it normal for aroma to diminish before flowering complete?

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Also, the other 2 strains seemed to reduce their smell late in flowering but retained decent smell through the cure. They were, however dried in about 7 days with AC the whole dry.

fucked up during growing

Anthem

Anthem

Mid 90's in flower is going to takes its toll on the terps. I would say never go above 85.

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

I have seen that b4 to....losing it's stink later in the flower cycle...I was thinking because possible pollination but i dont know....would like to know myself...growing outdoors...maybe temperature fluctuations ? curious myself

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

Is he going outside? The post mentions inside. regardless, 95 will burn up the terps, it will still be stoney but looses smell IMO
I am though...and it's going to be 90 for a while i guess the news said...one of the warmest starts to summer up here in a while....kinda sucks i'm in week 4 of flower

alohafred

alohafred

Yes, is an indoor grow, may not get above the 80's inside and as above, was cooler during the problematic grow. Is it common for fragrance to peak and then decline fairly early in flowering, around week 6, before trichome start getting milky? It's supposed to be an 8-10 week flower harvest.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Yes, is an indoor grow, may not get above the 80's inside and as above, was cooler during the problematic grow. Is it common for fragrance to peak and then decline fairly early in flowering, around week 6, before trichome start getting milky? It's supposed to be an 8-10 week flower harvest.
I’m ending week 7 and my stuff reeks. Hasn’t lost anything. never encountered your issue. Hope you resolve it.
Burnz

MrBaer

MrBaer

Ideas? I'm starting a 2nd grow and would like to max the smell.

I legally grew Headband OG along with Caramelicious and Zkittlez begining last December. At about week 6 of flowering, the Headband lost all fragrance and even after properly curing about a month, continued to smell only of hay. Otherwise the plant looked healthy, no sign of nutrient or heat burn. The plant matured earlier than the other strains and had good aroma initially. The other 2 strains maintained decent aroma.

Conditions:
Indoor grow w 1200 w LED ranging from 18 in during veg to 22 inch during flowering. Natural ingredient soil and fertilization with Fox Farms trio following Fox Farms guideline at about 60% strength until about week 7, then only water. Temp was low 70's to mid 80's with a ceiling fan left on low. We had a fair amount of rain during the grow so humidity was usually in the 70's or low 80's.

The seeds were started in Jiffy pellets, moved to dixie cups at about 1 week, then to 3 gallon pots at about 2-3 weeks. I was careful not to over water. Switched from veg to flower cycle about 6 weeks after germination. Harvest was at about 8 weeks into flower with plenty of trichomes and some milkiness going on.

I hang dried for about 10 days, switching on the AC at about day 6 since it seemed drying was too slow, humidity possibly too high. I cured in mason jars and even added the humidity control packets a week or two into the cure. Potency seems adequate.

Suspect conditions?
On pulling the roots, there weren't much roots. I'm wondering if the Jiffy netting restricted root growth?
Was the humidity too high?

On this grow, the humidity is more in the 50's and 60's but temperatures mid 70's to mid 90's. I planted directly in the soil, no Jiffy pellets. I used Fox Farms soil and haven't added any nutrients, switched to flower cycle at week 4 about a week ago. I'm thinking to start the flowering nutrient for a week or two, then back to just water. The plants look good so far, have just completed their stretch. I'm thinking to switch on the AC at about week 6.5 or 7. The strain is supposed to flower 8-10 weeks but I'm thinking to harvest a little early if the hairs are red and the smell good, don't want to lose the aroma again. Does blackstrap molasses really work or just a myth?

Feedback appreciated!
I had become curious about the aroma/humidity association, and noticed that you were growing in high humidity. I tend to grow in high humidity. Mainly because I use a Vapor Pressure Deficit (VPD) chart. I have plenty of airflow so I don't worry about mold and insects for the most part. My most recent grow is by far my best. I have about 3 yrs experience in soil. This was my first hydro. During her nights, humidity would max out in the tent, 99%, but no condensation or fog, no doubt caused by air pump for DWC. No exhaust fans with lights off, cos perfect temps. She was beautiful! Nice firm flowers, super sticky, but no scent. I have gotten minimal scent from former grows, but Ive never had the 99% nights before the DWC. She seems to be developing a little while curing. I just wonder if there is a relation between high humidity during flowering phase and aroma. Kolas got close to the lights, but the main canopy was perfect, so I can't blame it on heat or light, plus past grows were with smaller light. Any thoughts, anyone?

IMG 20200805 192940
Last edited:
alohafred

alohafred

Completed my 2nd grow of Headband. Was seasonably warmer and lower humidity than 1st grow, ave temp 78 - 88 with humidity 50 - 70%. Turned on the AC at about week 6 of flower to bring temp down to low 70's, which also lowered the humidity (but wasn't measured). Once again, Headband matured faster than the Zkittlez. I stuck to my plan and harvested at end of week 7 instead of waiting till the strain specs of 8 - 10 weeks. Think it was a good decision as the buds have a nice (though not strong) aroma and look mature.

Top Bottom