• Start date
  • Tagged users None
outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Having Animals helps Keep me healthy
I took the camera on the rounds this morning

I have dogs, not farm animals, but I could not imagine life without them. A garden becomes a farm when you add animals. I'd like to think dogs count in that equation. :D

Good people, good food, good health, good dogs, good vibes and a big ole doobie hanging out my mouth are about all I need for happiness.

outwest

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Heck Yeah Out west...Dogs count! big time...Dogs Add greatly to my happiness also!
Cats too :) a parrot, a lizard and frogs

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
and I told My wife I want a house puppy for Christmas...so..;) Im hopefull

K

kuz

I start my day off with bulletproof coffee.
it's
4 cups single source organic coffee
2-3 tablespoons kerry gold grass fed butter
2 tablespoons cold pressed coconut oil

google Dave Asprey for all the info on healthy fats and benefits of coconut oil.
He's a really intelligent dude that breaks up alot of myths about diet and nutrients.
He did a two hour podcast with Joe Rogan and it's up on youtube mind blowing stuff.

Thats primal, just need to follow it up with a still warm raw egg.

I checked out that site, tons of content to get through. good stuff though.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Mmmmm 060 800x600

Homemade Pizza...
Sauce from garden, homemade dough, Goat cheddar, motzarella, dry jack cheeses, lots of onion and garlic, with grass fed ground beef...

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Having Animals helps Keep me healthy
I took the camera on the rounds this morning

View attachment 277692View attachment 277693
Damn horse is chewing on his cover post

View attachment 277694

But I fixed it quick
View attachment 277695

Very nice...Looks like your off to a good start. I would recommend building some feeders for the chickens as well as the hay eating livestock. Its wasteful to throw on ground and also causes worm parasites. I will take some pics after sunrise to show you how we built feeders, looks like you got a nail gun, easy to do with scrap materials and hay and feed is so expensive best not to waste any.
Also have info on feeds, how to make your own. If you can source out non gmo corn and soybean meal I can hook you up with organic supplementation for alll types of livestock. This is something you should look into as there is a huge demand for GMO free livestock feeds. Not impossible may take time to do so but way worth it. You will need a grinder, will take pic of our small grinder as well as my large grinder capable of grinding 5,000 lbs. You can find A small electric grinder, grind and mix your own. When the word gets out can sell as well
.It all takes time to come together, you may also look into meat chickens, start out with just a few come spring, can advise you on where and what to buy as far as chicks, best breed,
how to do, what youll need. Nothing better than a chicken you raised yourself.
I also recommend 2 water treatments that pay off in the long run, preventing parasites, enhaning digestion and absorbsion of available nutrients in your feed,, lower malodor in barns, less parasidic issues. pennies on the gallon pays off in the long run.
Also down the road consider some dairy goats. Way eaiser than a cow, a good goat will give 1 gallon daily in season. 10 bucks a gallon but I dont sell much goat milk as I love it, it freezes well. Also easy to make some real nice basic cheeses...
Awesome to have life set up so one can produce real food that just aint the same as store bought or raised by someone else. We know where a lot of our food comes from, who,where and how it was raised is huge in my book and has become a passion for me.
We barter our produce, our grass fed beef comes from our friends farm who uses our chicken feed, trade out feed and eggs, he comes from aspen to butcher his cows and brings our eggs to market for the occasional sack o weed, saves me a long dribe and all are happy.
My beef friend also has a swiss bakery who makes the most incredable organic bakery products, breads, pasteries, all as good as it gets, we trade a whole roll of pie dough for one of my chicken pot pies that are out of this world. Not long ago at a gathering of some of Aspens finest chefs and chefs visiting from France who sampled my chicken pot pie were amazed.
I could go on and on, love to talk farmin, fishin, and having a high time livin the good life, well i know..........CM

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
037 800x600
039 800x600

Small grinder, started out with this. One morning at 5am was grinding feed and the belt got stuck. I lost the tip of my little finger in pully, mashed if off in the blink of an eye. Woke up wife with blood running down my arm off to the ER we went..

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Damn horse is chewing on his cover post
Give him another salt lick, Ken. And some toys of some sort. He's either bored or needs minerals. Sea-90 is also for animules. My old gelding loved playing with road cones, he'd scare the shit out of himself flipping them up into the air.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Give him another salt lick, Ken. And some toys of some sort. He's either bored or needs minerals. Sea-90 is also for animules. My old gelding loved playing with road cones, he'd scare the shit out of himself flipping them up into the air.
Just what I was thinking, dont know about horses but it makes sense...

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
He has one of those cones :)
They have a Mineral block too. And they do love that
He has 2 acres of oak trees to chew on..
I'm thinking I could cover the posts with chicken wire...

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Mixer/grinder..
Hay feeder, easy to make...
Chicken feeder, easy to make.
Waterer for chickens. Get nipples at Farm Tec supply, be sure to order washers, and drill bit for right size hole, also use food grade barrell
Great info and pics
Thanks Chicken Man!:)

K

kolah

Hey Ken, I had a horse that was a chewer. Some say it's a deficiency or a lack of a roughage. Sometimes they just need more to eat and sometimes it's plain boredom. If they are licking metal or nails it's a mineral deficiency. You may want to try buying different hay or top dressing it with some good alfalfa.

I mixed up a big batch of hot pepper juice and sprayed it on the common places he'd chew. He stopped.

Try and rectify it before it becomes habitual and be careful it doesn't develop into cribbing.

How much is hay going for there in Cali? I just bought single 90 pound bales of good mountain own grass hay for 18 bucks a bale!

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
the pizza looks awesome!

Nothing like homemade pizza!
Im sure its even better with all that homegrown goodies on there!

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey Ken, I had a horse that was a chewer. Some say it's a deficiency or a lack of a roughage. Sometimes they just need more to eat and sometimes it's plain boredom. If they are licking metal or nails it's a mineral deficiency. You may want to try buying different hay or top dressing it with some good alfalfa.

I mixed up a big batch of hot pepper juice and sprayed it on the common places he'd chew. He stopped.

Try and rectify it before it becomes habitual and be careful it doesn't develop into cribbing.

How much is hay going for there in Cali? I just bought single 90 pound bales of good mountain own grass hay for 18 bucks a bale!
Fuck me dead...18 bucks!!!... Were paying 9 bucks, from my regular guy, luckly we barter for goodies and cash make it a little eaiser for us...

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter

thanks Kolah. I think he is bored....and he didnt do all that damage overnight :)

I will talk to my wife about it...She is the Horse person..had em her whole life
(i was a beach city boy until i bought this place) :)

Yeah they hay keeps going up....
I think it is 17.50 now for for a bale of Alfalfa here in central cal
That horse and goat get straight Alfalfa hay every day...:rolleyes: They are spoiled!

and they have 2 acres of grass to eat...lots of wild oats..

You should have seen that horse when we got him..,,he was starved. :(

Top Bottom