Heat From Cmh Ballasts

• Thread starter JMcG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Pimples

You guys that are mixing 315 cmh with 600 hps or 630's with 1000's...are you keeping them all the same height distance to canopy? Just curious if you keep em lower than hps fixtures or not for that sweet spot distance? And if you do does it create shadow or block the higher up hps lamps any? I heard 15 to 20 inches is the goldie locks zone for 315 cmh.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

You guys that are mixing 315 cmh with 600 hps or 630's with 1000's...are you keeping them all the same height distance to canopy? Just curious if you keep em lower than hps fixtures or not for that sweet spot distance? And if you do does it create shadow or block the higher up hps lamps any? I heard 15 to 20 inches is the goldie locks zone for 315 cmh.

I keep my 600 at 18" and my 315 at 16". The difference doesn't matter with my reflectors. One bulb is vertical even.

All of this is plant depending. They are on stands. The inches is a baseline. They all seem uncomfortable past there for too long.

JMcG

JMcG

I keep my 600 at 18" and my 315 at 16". The difference doesn't matter with my reflectors. One bulb is vertical even.

All of this is plant depending. They are on stands. The inches is a baseline. They all seem uncomfortable past there for too long.
My 600s hang about 22-24 and the 315s just a bit lower.
I have been raising them up a bit higher on this run to help with some heat/ rh/ vpd issues. I have had some pretty bad canoeing in the past and it improved when I
A) moved the lights up, it only took 6" or so to make a difference.
B) raised my fans up a bit to so they circulate the air above the canopy and not blowing directly through it.
C) kept my ec as low as I could.... UC and all.

I might be able to lower the 315 a bit and be ok, it really does throw a cooler light.

JMcG

JMcG

My Gavita, running on 825 watts showed 101* also.
Yeah, it's a bummer they are so hot, but not really a deal breaker.
By the time I pay two separate restocking fees and pay for return shipping on them it gets too costly to replace them.
Guess I'll put that $$ towards dedicating an area outside the room for those two ballasts, the others can stay though, they run cool enough no problem.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

My 600s hang about 22-24 and the 315s just a bit lower.
I have been raising them up a bit higher on this run to help with some heat/ rh/ vpd issues. I have had some pretty bad canoeing in the past and it improved when I
A) moved the lights up, it only took 6" or so to make a difference.
B) raised my fans up a bit to so they circulate the air above the canopy and not blowing directly through it.
C) kept my ec as low as I could.... UC and all.

I might be able to lower the 315 a bit and be ok, it really does throw a cooler light.

Don't forget. 6" is a lot of light loss. I use air cooled sealed glass reflectors for this reason. I can get a bit closer on most plants but they are all happy at 18" under the glass.

And with a vertical reflector 16" is the published max par for the 315 cmh from my research.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

If their defective, you shouldn't be paying restocking nor shipping fees.

I try and keep mine 1' max. Had 2' when I flipped, and the girls stretched a bit too much than previous grows.

JMcG

JMcG

If their defective, you shouldn't be paying restocking nor shipping fees.

I try and keep mine 1' max. Had 2' when I flipped, and the girls stretched a bit too much than previous grows.
I'm working them on the defective play. We'll see how they respond.

The other reason I raised them up a bit more was to try to get better cross lighting from the checkerboard pattern I have with the hps and the cmh. I want the best of both spectrums as much as I can. I only saw increased stretch on one of my Deathstars on this run but the others stacked up pretty nicely.

Latest posts

Top Bottom