Heat, heat and some more heat

• Thread starter country84
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

country84

Hi all
i'm heaving real heat stress issues in my 4X2.5X5 cabin,and the outside temps are on the rise.. I thought that maybe tucking a big ice block into the pod during the rush hours would cool things down, but im worried about the humidity getting high. the outsideיhumidity level in here is about 50-70% usually. the growroom is a 250w Scrog and has an in/out blower, and another fan that vent the plants, that are two weeks before flowering.
So what d'ya say ? ice?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Can you increase ventilation at all? I don't mean put a fan in there blowing around, I mean move new air in and old air out.

Ice could work, but probably not for long. Try shortening photoperiod, too. How long does it take for the area to get hot?

C

country84

My initial mistake was buying the basic blower which i thought would handle the 250w bulb.. but then - surprise.. the first hot day of the season and all my plants dropped shriveled.
The lights go off for 6 hours between 3 to 9 AM, will it not confuse the plant to reset them to shut off during midday? it'll sure help kill the stress if it's possible

so you said ice could work.. the humidity isn't gonna be too high?

convex

convex

What are you using for a blower?
What is the temp. of the air coming in?
Is this an air cooled hood or bare bulb?

C

country84

the blowers are 150 CMH each (Venta in+blower+carbon filter), and the temp that day was around 95 F.. (the cabin is in a shed), it's a bare bulb. also a 45w cool white fluorescent that reduces almost no heat.

convex

convex

150 CMH is roughly 90 CFM - a little on the lean side for 50 cu. ft. grow space, but enough to pull any benefit from melting ice in your room.

However, no amount of air exchange is going to offset 95' F ambient temps.

IMO you will either have to relocate your cab or consider a sealed chamber with environmental control including AC.

Cheers

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I agree, but I'm kinda thinking that in this situation his only solution, if he kept everything as it is, would be to get an AC to actively cool. I don't think ice will do it unless he fills the shed with it.

He also needs to switch around his photoperiod so that the main daylight portion is during as much dark as possible in order to keep things cooler. Since your girls are in veg, it won't bother them in the slightest to just switch it. If they were in flower I would simply change in such a way as to maintain AT LEAST 12 hours darkness.

M

Mmmmasonite

Find a new spot inside the house....Or somewhere......Or rebuild the shed, insulating it and adding an A/C...Where are you? ....It's hot already?

C

country84

Alright, thanks for the info. What do you think is best - cancel the lights off-timer so it'll go straight all night, wait till the temps rise (at about 11 am) then set it to new configuration, or, continue with current light regime (go off at 3-10 am) then turn it off again at 11:00 for 6 hours..

C

country84

Find a new spot inside the house....Or somewhere......Or rebuild the shed, insulating it and adding an A/C...Where are you? ....It's hot already?

moving it into the house is impossible due to lack of space, an AC is way out of my budget - there's already two of them working inside my house when it's warm. the heat stress lasted for 2 days and it'll come back with fury in the next few weeks for sure.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Alright, thanks for the info. What do you think is best - cancel the lights off-timer so it'll go straight all night, wait till the temps rise (at about 11 am) then set it to new configuration, or, continue with current light regime (go off at 3-10 am) then turn it off again at 11:00 for 6 hours..
I always need some daylight time in the morning to work on my girls. I'm an early-to-bedder, early-to-riser, so I like the lights to be on when I'm up. Around here during bad summer heat it can start getting pretty hot between 9-10am, so I have my lights turning off by 10am. That gives me a good 2-4 hours of my awake time to do necessary work.

Use the coolest times of the day to your advantage is what I'm trying to say.

M

mrbong73

Use the coolest times of the day to your advantage is what I'm trying to say.

Agreed
I run my lights from 7pm to 7am because I grow in an unconditioned, uninsulated space and it can get hot during the day.

Make sure you don't have any light leaks though. A glowing shed could be a problem and you also don't want daylight coming in when the girls are "asleep".

mrb

edit: you could fill some 2 liter or 1 gallon bottles with water and freeze them for cooling but that would be pretty ineffective in the long run. less mess than blocks of ice.

M

Mmmmasonite

Yep.....Always run your lights at night if you can......much cooler

W

WildCajun

If you are having heat problems now best thing to do is get a small a/c unit $125.00 bucks at home depot install that and worries are over yes it is pricey but you will fight heat all summer long

M

Mmmmasonite

Whaaaaaaaat ....N.O. in the house!!! That's where I am from....Who Dat!!
BTW.....Good call with the a/c..........Peace

C

country84

Sorry i'm posting in an old thread, and it's just because my main issue with heat is threatening to demolish my poor lady's.
So i came across an interesting idea, but thought i'd better ask for advice before doing something silly :
how about i'll take a second hand mini-bar, the size of a microwave, slice down all it's body with an angle-grinder leaving just the cooling system piece on, then tuck it in the cabin?

D

deepseawick

what i do to battle the heat in the summer is I keep my lights off during the day and have them on all night. Hope this helps

C

country84

what i do to battle the heat in the summer is I keep my lights off during the day and have them on all night. Hope this helps

That's what ive done about a month ago, thanks anyway.
But still got too much heat stacked, My blowers just won't do the job.. it's too damn hot outside, AC is not an option neither as extra blowers - the adding of more noisy sounds could rise suspicions.

Theoretically, could my idea work?

Latest posts

Top Bottom