Heat issue in a bigger grow room

• Thread starter isetmyweedonfire
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
isetmyweedonfire

isetmyweedonfire

Hey guys! I’m trying a new bigger set up and while maintaining the climate in a small room was easy enough, now that my grow space is twice as big I’m not sure what to do about the heat.

The grow room is around 225 sq ft of which I’m using around 170-180 sq ft for the plants. I have 12 480W LEDs and boy do they heat the room up. I got a 600 CFM exhaust fan (the intake is passive from the outside) and when it’s on, it gets up to 90°F. If switch the fan off the temperature goes all the way to 97°F. Meanwhile both of my 12000 BTU A/C’s are busting their ass off. It’s also worth mentioning that my walls are insulated with polystyrene foam sheets. So my question is, is it possible to keep the temperature down or should I just seal the room and go for CO2 enrichment? Thanks!

Timbo0716

Timbo0716

How high is your ceiling? No expert here, but your exhaust fan may be to small.

Dosifry

Dosifry

Hey guys! I’m trying a new bigger set up and while maintaining the climate in a small room was easy enough, now that my grow space is twice as big I’m not sure what to do about the heat.

The grow room is around 225 sq ft of which I’m using around 170-180 sq ft for the plants. I have 12 480W LEDs and boy do they heat the room up. I got a 600 CFM exhaust fan (the intake is passive from the outside) and when it’s on, it gets up to 90°F. If switch the fan off the temperature goes all the way to 97°F. Meanwhile both of my 12000 BTU A/C’s are busting their ass off. It’s also worth mentioning that my walls are insulated with polystyrene foam sheets. So my question is, is it possible to keep the temperature down or should I just seal the room and go for CO2 enrichment? Thanks!
What kind of ac do you have?

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

700cfm is nice for every 8x8. You could do 600cfm a 8x8 and make it.

Dosifry

Dosifry

I’d upgrade to a 10 inch hyper fan that way you OWN IT! It will quickly exhaust the room when your ac units aren’t cutting it. I’m surprised that 24000 total btu in ac power and your still fighting it. I have 375 sq feet and a 24000 btu mini split does the trick. It can get a little warm during the two hottest month of the year but otherwise it’s plenty. That’s running 7000 watts of hid, a co2 gen from which I removed and plugged two burner ports to reduce heat (still is plenty for the entire room) plus another 400 watts in led. I am surprised your having issues. I use a 10 inch hyper fan off a ginormous carbon filter to exhaust humidity to outdoors and it still kills it! Something seems like it’s not adding up yo? Anyways I wish you the very best and I’m sure you will figure it out.

RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

Try doing a mini split ac system. You can diy and most are amazing. I believe mine is a mr cool and it’s amazing.

isetmyweedonfire

isetmyweedonfire

What kind of ac do you have?
I have a 12000 BTU split-system and a 12000 BTU portable a/c unit exhausting hot air directly outside. Feels like this should be enough. Perhaps my exhaust fan is not cutting it indeed

isetmyweedonfire

isetmyweedonfire

I’d upgrade to a 10 inch hyper fan that way you OWN IT! It will quickly exhaust the room when your ac units aren’t cutting it. I’m surprised that 24000 total btu in ac power and your still fighting it. I have 375 sq feet and a 24000 btu mini split does the trick. It can get a little warm during the two hottest month of the year but otherwise it’s plenty. That’s running 7000 watts of hid, a co2 gen from which I removed and plugged two burner ports to reduce heat (still is plenty for the entire room) plus another 400 watts in led. I am surprised your having issues. I use a 10 inch hyper fan off a ginormous carbon filter to exhaust humidity to outdoors and it still kills it! Something seems like it’s not adding up yo? Anyways I wish you the very best and I’m sure you will figure it out.
Thanks man, I hope I'll figure it out

Dosifry

Dosifry

Yes. The hyper fans use less electricity than conventional. Cost a bit more but worth EVERY PENNY! They come w a speed controller too I hear ac infinity makes a kicking product as well I bought mine years ago before ac infinity was around I’ve got an 8” intake HF also for when I’m not running co2 the 10” barley turns on cause I have it exhausting humidity so it doesn’t deplete my co2. Ya don’t even need co2 unless your plants have ALL THE LIGHT THEY CAN ABSORB, then the co2 enrichment allows them to photosynthesis and create more energy from the amped up lighting bla bla bla. Sry didn’t mean to ramble. The 10” It earns its keep at lights out when the humidity skyrockets it takes it down within 3 minutes

Og_punkgenetics

Og_punkgenetics

Yes. The hyper fans use less electricity than conventional. Cost a bit more but worth EVERY PENNY! They come w a speed controller too I hear ac infinity makes a kicking product as well I bought mine years ago before ac infinity was around I’ve got an 8” intake HF also for when I’m not running co2 the 10” barley turns on cause I have it exhausting humidity so it doesn’t deplete my co2. Ya don’t even need co2 unless your plants have ALL THE LIGHT THEY CAN ABSORB, then the co2 enrichment allows them to photosynthesis and create more energy from the amped up lighting bla bla bla. Sry didn’t mean to ramble. The 10” It earns its keep at lights out when the humidity skyrockets it takes it down within 3 minutes View attachment 1130208
What is the outside temp and are the acs window acs? Im a retired hvac/r engineer

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

My room is 13X16 or 208 sq ft. With 12' ceiling.

A active intake ac infinity 10" about 1200 cfm with two 8" exhaust 1600 cfm total.

Split ac is really only needed when intake air is near or above room temp

Dosifry

Dosifry

My room is 13X16 or 208 sq ft. With 12' ceiling.

A active intake ac infinity 10" about 1200 cfm with two 8" exhaust 1600 cfm total.

Split ac is really only needed when intake air is near or abo

Are two exhaust fans opposed to one big one much more efficient? Just curious to understand more 😁

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Are two exhaust fans opposed to one big one much more efficient? Just curious to understand more 😁
Pictures help. Exhaust ideally would equal intake I'm running on negative pressure at full on.

If I had non vented lights it would be a 10 inch active intake and 10 inch exhaust.

20200411 121042
20200411 121047
Last edited:
Dosifry

Dosifry

Pictures help. Exhaust ideally would equal intake I'm running on negative pressure at full on.

If I had non vented lights it would be a 10 inch active intake and 10 inch exhaust.
I see. Very nice. Way to own it 👍

Og_punkgenetics

Og_punkgenetics

hvac engineer here, your heatload far exceeds the amount of cooling you have. i have a 12 light room and dehues/fans etc and i have 48,000 btus cooling. if i got all the info i could do a load calc for you

Vintaw

Vintaw

Your exhaust fans placed within the room and your fresh air intake where about is that located? what color is your roof? What kind of siding do you have? And whereabouts in what country are you located

Vintaw

Vintaw

Your exhaust fans placed within the room and your fresh air intake where about is that located? what color is your roof? What kind of siding do you have? And whereabouts in what country are you located
How tall are your ceilings? LED shouldn't produce that much heat? How many watts are you pushing through those LEDs?

Top Bottom