Heat Issues 4kw...Lets fix this

• Thread starter DowNwithDirT
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DowNwithDirT

DowNwithDirT

So I have been having quite the issues as of late and want to get this shit dealt with.

My actual grow room is not the problem...it's actually so fine tuned its never off by more than 2*f

The problem lies in the space surrounding my grow.
I built a 10 x 11 x 8 room in my basement. I have a window cutout that I used to bring fresh air in through to cool the lights. I have a 12,000 btu AC unit which is in one of the walls in the basement...see picture to understand.

rm11.jpg
Rm31.jpg

Anyways...I have stopped running my 10 in vortex that was attached to the lights because it was pulling out some smell as well as cool air from the ac and dumping it outside. I could smell my room from the street about 30ft away.

So now I have a dilemma. I have 4k burnin in hoods with glass with out air cooling and the ac is running the whole time the lights are on.
I had something rigged up to pull all the hot air off the back of the ac but it just doesn't make sense anymore and has become pretty inefficient.

Outside the room there is another window well which is all usuable other than sound and smell being an issue.
This gets the idea across better

rm41.jpg

My options as I see it:

A)fuck the air cooling. ditch the glass get a new 12k+ btu ac and put it in the window in the room(I refuse to pull the one out of the wall due to being a week into flower and the fact that its REALLY sealed in and works great in the winter)

B) Set up some kind of cooling for the back of the current ac. Keep in mind I need to bring in air if I'm going to pull air out because there is a furnace and a water heater down here.

C) Fix the Air cooling of the lights seal the hoods and run a scrubber in the room 24/7, as well as set up cooling on the back of the ac.

things to keep in mind......I have 2 8" fans a 10" and a scrubber already in the room that does not recirculate

anyone

heres what the room looks like as of last week
Hoods still have glass in them fans off though
RFCenter.jpg

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Is money an object? If not get a minisplit. Zero smell getting out and you can make it as cold as a freezer. I would run a scrubber regardless.

DowNwithDirT

DowNwithDirT

That was the only other option.....what size and rougly cost? and is there any way to hook up another zone to cool the rest of the house?

I

ibTheMan

Mini Split, the main unit will go outside, your light heat gos outside to right?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

That was the only other option.....what size and rougly cost? and is there any way to hook up another zone to cool the rest of the house?

You need 2 tons for the room w/o air cooling the lights. Cost all depends on brand you buy and how efficient the unit is. Recommend an inverter style mini split. Google mini split a/c units online to get an idea of price based upon what u want to do. Could do multi zone mini but most manufactures of minis only go up to 3 tons.

DowNwithDirT

DowNwithDirT

why two ton. Isn't that 24000 btu's

my 12,000 btu window mount does just fine

darlingmaster

darlingmaster

Imo, take the glass off the lights and run them un cooled and install a mini split.
You'll need more than 12k btu if running 4k uncooled though. At least 18k btu.
Like CJ said, get an inverter model mini split. it'll use less juice than that 12k btu window unit and you'll also run less juice over all because you won't need those 8&10" fans. Oh, and no noise from fans or the AC, mini splits are almost silent.

DowNwithDirT

DowNwithDirT

after looking at the cost of minisplits I'd like to utilize what I have to make this work or getting a slightly larger ac and putting in the window in the room which is in a windowwell

DowNwithDirT

DowNwithDirT

I feel like I wouldn't have any issues if the ac was putting the hot air outside.
Right now I'm just transferring the hear from inside the room to the out side of the room, inside the basement. Essentially just moving it to the other side of that wall.

T

TurboAllWD

What size fan did you have hooked up to the window a/c? Ive read that you need 500cfm of ventilation per ton of a/c if you're venting the a/c into another room. Switch the 10'' fan so you're pushing air through the hoods instead of sucking, that will take care of the smell, seal the hoods as good as you can so youre ac can cool better. I've ran a sealed/co2 3kw air cooled, 1kw barebulb in a 10x13 room with a 11k btu floor unit and it did just fine once i found a few leaks on the ac that was pulling air out of the room. I also have central air keeping the basement cool for the air cooled lights. I think its too obvious having a second central air / mini split outside, ones enough lol

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
section off the part of the basement that has the room and vent the basement so the ac stays cool. Run a scrubber for the smell and no worries. A 10 in fan will def do the trick. If not go the cheap squirrel cage route. Once I went the minisplit route i will never return. Its an investment but pays for itself in ease, noise and electric bills not to mention efficiency. Best of luck. Need AC advice listen to CJ.

Top Bottom