Heat Issues in my grow tent

• Thread starter darklordmelkor
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
darklordmelkor

darklordmelkor

Hello all. New grower here.

I have 150x150x200 (cm) grow tent with 1000w HPS running in it. As you know HPS running so hot. It's even hitting 38C right now and we are in April. At Jun, July and August just add +15C or even +20C.

I bought cool tube. My exhaust fan is 580 m3 but it's really didn't change anything. Intake fan is 180 m3 but air inside the room (where grow tent located) is hot. So it doesn't make any difference. Also have 8 inch fan inside the grow room which is running 24/7 but it's still hitting 38C. Also these fans are drying air inside grow tent and lower my RH. I have 5LT humidifier which can evaporate 380mL water per hour.

I don't have any idea. Just looking for Swamp Cooler with huge water and ice container (10LT water container with 2 ice container). Do you guys think it would work at summer peak?

My light is off now and with all fans are on, grow tent is 25C now.

Any ideas except using air conditioner? Because AC and light and other things sucking electricity like a crazy. I can't afford AC now. Any other ideas?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

We have the same issue in Hawaii. We keep the tent open during lights on with extra fans moving air around them.
Use a no-touch thermometer to check the leaf temps. That is your important temp, not the air.

darklordmelkor

darklordmelkor

We have the same issue in Hawaii. We keep the tent open during lights on with extra fans moving air around them.
Use a no-touch thermometer to check the leaf temps. That is your important temp, not the air.
I put probe next to lower branches and it shows 38C when light running on. It goes down to 32-35C when i open tent. Distance is between plants and light is like 50-60cm. Like i said, we are in April now. It will be more terrible at summer peak. Also leaving tent open destroys RH more. It goes down to 25-30%.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I put probe next to lower branches and it shows 38C when light running on. It goes down to 32-35C when i open tent. Distance is between plants and light is like 50-60cm. Like i said, we are in April now. It will be more terrible at summer peak. Also leaving tent open destroys RH more. It goes down to 25-30%.
In high heat, you want less humidity to help prevent mold.

darklordmelkor

darklordmelkor

VPD chart. This gives you the temp range for the humidity levels. Use leaf temp, not air temp.
Thanks for chart. I can keep it around 30C now with damn extra fans etc but i am worried about what's coming at summer peak days. My current 9th week auto's leaves are wilting/curling down because of that heat stress. I can't imagine when room temperature which is grow tent located hits to 35C inside, then grow tent will be like 45-50C.

Have you guys ever used swamp coolers? Do they worth?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

When we do autos, they are done in 3 months. They have a very speedy life cycle. You may already be getting close. Lets have some pix. When did you plant them?

darklordmelkor

darklordmelkor

When we do autos, they are done in 3 months. They have a very speedy life cycle. You may already be getting close. Lets have some pix. When did you plant them?
Here is my thread with pictures.

Swayz

Swayz

Do you have an adjustable ballast? Dropping down to 600w would be ideal for your size and with the autos you won’t need to worry about anybody getting to big and shading the others out.

You could also look into doing the gaslight lighting schedule which would give you some dark periods during the day and help with the heat.

Good luck

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Looking at the other thread, I see that you were never taught the correct watering method. We have a few here that work, but this one is sure to get you on the right track.

Basic Watering

Watering SOIL

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Rule of thumb usually you want your air outtake fan to pump the same amount of m3/h as ur lamps watts, so it's way too little. Then vent out of that room with as little curves in the pipe to not diminish air flow. If you take air in from the room, a fan in isnt even requires, just open about 200% in diameter of tent openings as your outlet is.

Then, u r using too much light, that 1000w is for flower, if you can veg under a 400w metal-halide. When plants are still smallish, just arrange them together and put the lamp a bit closer.

Ponky

Ponky

My 4' x 8' grow tent with 2 x 1000 watt lights has to be left open with the lights on. Switched to 600 watt bulbs. Can keep closed. Temps stay good. Yield stays basically the same.

darklordmelkor

darklordmelkor

Looking at the other thread, I see that you were never taught the correct watering method. We have a few here that work, but this one is sure to get you on the right track.

Basic Watering

Watering SOIL
I did check your post. I will do that. Now i put my fingers through soil like 15cm down and it's pretty moist there. I ordered water meter so waiting for it.

Rule of thumb usually you want your air outtake fan to pump the same amount of m3/h as ur lamps watts, so it's way too little. Then vent out of that room with as little curves in the pipe to not diminish air flow. If you take air in from the room, a fan in isnt even requires, just open about 200% in diameter of tent openings as your outlet is.

Then, u r using too much light, that 1000w is for flower, if you can veg under a 400w metal-halide. When plants are still smallish, just arrange them together and put the lamp a bit closer.
Moving air outside of window works good right now but it's over 40C outside at summer peak. So there is nothing to do about heat issues i think. I need to pump cold air to room for intake fan but there is no cool air. So it will be always hot. I am looking to grow them in hot conditions. I really gave up on heat lol.

Do you have an adjustable ballast? Dropping down to 600w would be ideal for your size and with the autos you won’t need to worry about anybody getting to big and shading the others out.

You could also look into doing the gaslight lighting schedule which would give you some dark periods during the day and help with the heat.

Good luck
My ballast is not dimmable. I will switch to led but after that grow.

My 4' x 8' grow tent with 2 x 1000 watt lights has to be left open with the lights on. Switched to 600 watt bulbs. Can keep closed. Temps stay good. Yield stays basically the same.

Yeah. I wanted bigger yields so that's why i went for 1000w. But i see that it was a mistake.

Ponky

Ponky

I was lucky and have those dimmable ballasts. Just had to swap bulbs. I think 1000 Watters are better for a 6x6 area at least.

H

Heath61

Hello all. New grower here.

I have 150x150x200 (cm) grow tent with 1000w HPS running in it. As you know HPS running so hot. It's even hitting 38C right now and we are in April. At Jun, July and August just add +15C or even +20C.

I bought cool tube. My exhaust fan is 580 m3 but it's really didn't change anything. Intake fan is 180 m3 but air inside the room (where grow tent located) is hot. So it doesn't make any difference. Also have 8 inch fan inside the grow room which is running 24/7 but it's still hitting 38C. Also these fans are drying air inside grow tent and lower my RH. I have 5LT humidifier which can evaporate 380mL water per hour.

I don't have any idea. Just looking for Swamp Cooler with huge water and ice container (10LT water container with 2 ice container). Do you guys think it would work at summer peak?

My light is off now and with all fans are on, grow tent is 25C now.

Any ideas except using air conditioner? Because AC and light and other things sucking electricity like a crazy. I can't afford AC now. Any other ideas?
check your water temp if you are DWC. Increase air circulation and use daytime as the dark time for your plant. Too much heat is not good for long period. Airflow and dimmer for light will fix your problem might invest in a cool breeze small device in front of air supply intake

Latest posts

Top Bottom