Heat Mats Vs Electric Heaters (oil, Quartz, Etc.)

• Thread starter jinxjj
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jinxjj

Looking for some feedback on how to heat my indoor grow tent. My basement stays around 60* so i really only need a 10-15* bump. What is the ideal temp i want to keep my rooms at? (4'x3' bloom and veg rooms)

I am trying to decide between 2 options, because i have an air filtration system that will be running 24/7 so putting a heater in the tent isint going to do much since the air is constantly getting exhausted, i would have to heat the entire basement to 70* to keep the room at temp.

1. Oil radiating heater or quartz heating element plugin type heater. Would have to be on pretty much all the time and have to heat the entire basement to keep the tent at optimal temp (not friendly on electric bill). This is because i vent the air into the basement to retain all the heat i can.

2. Heating mats to cover the entire grow tent floor on a temp controller. Thinking this will be my best option since soil temps will be kept near ideal and the heat will be coming up right under the plants where i need it.

Suggestions? Not to worried about upfront cost, trying to consider the overall operating cost as that is more important to me. I'd rather pay 500$ for a heater that costs 10$ a month to run instead of $50 for a heater that costs 40$ a month to run.

J

jinxjj

Just to give some comparisons, i am looking at a 48"x20" heat mat and that draws 105 watts compared to the electric heaters which pull about 1500. Quite a difference :)

J

jinxjj

No but i am gonna be running LEDs so im guessing they wont contribute much heat wise.... Either way, like i said there will be continuous ventilation thru the carbon filter out of the tent so it will constantly be sucking in colder air from outside the tent.

Camdawg

Camdawg

LED does produce heat usually off the top as opposed to from the bulb like HPS/MH. So if you're pulling the hot air from the tip of the tent into the basement and pulling intake from the bottom of the tent but still basement surrounding its going to be warmer than 60 degrees. Is the basement itself vented?

J

jinxjj

The basement is somewhat vented, i have access to 2 small windows i can open to allow fresh air to come in but i will loose some heat. Would it be a good idea to crack one of those windows to allow fresh air to enter? I am currently going to suck the air in thru a carbon filter within the tent and have passive vents to create negative pressure, the exhaust is connected to a 20' ish duct run that dumps out on the opposite side of the basement.

I dont have to put the filter at the tippy top of the tent (its a 7ft tall tent and the filter is 10"x24") but if i put it lower i will loose precious space in my bloom or veg room. They are each 4'x3'x7'.

I guess my other question is if i keep the roots at temp will 60ish degree air be ok? Will this affect my yield?

Camdawg

Camdawg

Try setting up with no plants, flip the switch and monitor temp and humidity for at LEAST 24 hours. You'll have a better idea of what kinda temps you'll actually be dealing with.

hotRod

hotRod

I like heat mats. I live in the NW so we get some super cold days.
Heat mats keep soil and roots warm. The heat from the soil will raise room temp a touch as well.

-use a timer and set the heat mat to turn on and off even 30 min to hour or put on a thermostat.
- you only want mats to warm the soil. Not dry it out

Hope that helps some

J

jinxjj

Thanks for your advice. Right now i am leaning heavily towards the heat mats. I would be hooking them up to a thermostat which would be located in the bottom of one of the pots to make sure i am keeping the root/soil around 72-75*F.

Question is, if my heat mats are keeping the roots/soil at the right temp, will 60*F air temps hurt me? That will be a big deciding factor as it may be more beneficial to just heat the entire basement instead of right under the plants. I wish i had a better idea of how warm the mats would keep the air temp in the tent.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Don't worry about air temps, worry about root zone temps. ;)

Also, don't forget that heat rises.
Looking for some feedback on how to heat my indoor grow tent. My basement stays around 60* so i really only need a 10-15* bump. What is the ideal temp i want to keep my rooms at? (4'x3' bloom and veg rooms)

I am trying to decide between 2 options, because i have an air filtration system that will be running 24/7 so putting a heater in the tent isint going to do much since the air is constantly getting exhausted, i would have to heat the entire basement to 70* to keep the room at temp.

1. Oil radiating heater or quartz heating element plugin type heater. Would have to be on pretty much all the time and have to heat the entire basement to keep the tent at optimal temp (not friendly on electric bill). This is because i vent the air into the basement to retain all the heat i can.

2. Heating mats to cover the entire grow tent floor on a temp controller. Thinking this will be my best option since soil temps will be kept near ideal and the heat will be coming up right under the plants where i need it.

Suggestions? Not to worried about upfront cost, trying to consider the overall operating cost as that is more important to me. I'd rather pay 500$ for a heater that costs 10$ a month to run instead of $50 for a heater that costs 40$ a month to run.
Consider a thing I have been using for years, and it's seriously inexpensive. It's called an electric blanket, and I call my rig The Electric Blanket Sandwich.

All electric heaters, even the radiant oil-filled ones, are going to use at least 600W. That energy can be used for light, instead, IMO. I'm cheap and live in expensive power territory, and the electric blanket sandwich has worked pretty well for me, even if it's a bit of a bitch balancing pots on top of if I haven't placed a piece of ply onto.

J

jinxjj

Thanks Seamaiden, I was thinking along the same lines but wanted to stick with a propagation mat on top of some reflective foam board insulation as i feel they would be less of a fire risk then an electric blanket. :)

Camdawg

Camdawg

Thanks Seamaiden, I was thinking along the same lines but wanted to stick with a propagation mat on top of some reflective foam board insulation as i feel they would be less of a fire risk then an electric blanket. :)
Electric blankets aren't scary like they were in the 80s. They don't just ignite on fire anymore.

sixstring

sixstring

i use the hydrofarm heat mats under my clones and seedlings with the digital temp control they also make and i would highly recommend it.keeps my babies a nifty 76f 24/7 even when the lights are off.

J

jinxjj

Looking at the costs, they are about the same and i think i can find propagation mats that are a better size then the blankets come in for my application.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Electric blankets aren't scary like they were in the 80s. They don't just ignite on fire anymore.
I've been using mine for years.
Looking at the costs, they are about the same and i think i can find propagation mats that are a better size then the blankets come in for my application.
I know that the prop mats are the better, purpose-made solution, and if you can afford it then absolutely, go that route. I went with the heating blanket because one is the same as a single 2x1.5' mat (last time I priced 'em), and the blanket covers and area equal to at least a twin size bed. So for me, it's the affordable solution, and it's what I'm still using to this day. The worst that's happened is one controller stopped working.

Oh! And you HAVE to use the ones that don't shut off. I have to admit, that shit's a bitch.

J

jinxjj

Looks like electric blanket might just be the way to go.... I think i am going to order one and see how it works out before buying enough to cover my entire area. I was talking to a friend who said the prop mats don't put out that much heat and a heated blanket should work well.

J

jinxjj

Picked up a heated fleece throw which fit my dimensions, keeps me pretty toasty but doesn't pump out as much heat as i thought (not the burn your skin heating pad heat i was expecting). Will let you guys know how it works out, going to throw it in my room now and see if it brings the temp up with the exhaust fan off.

J

jinxjj

Man... this blanket SUCKS at heating the room. Didn't even put a dent into the temp. I am guessing it would go up slightly with the pots on top since the soil would retain the heat better but not nearly enough for my needs. Looks like im gonna just have to get a heater :(

Camdawg

Camdawg

It's not going to heat the room so much as its going to insulate and warm the root mass. What's the air temp with lights on? You may need a space heater during lights out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom