Heat stress vs under watered

• Thread starter nashobaTHC
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

I’m sure my plants have adequate roots water but are definitely affected by many days of 90-95 heat and show heat stress by midday. Plants droop a little but don’t wilt like dying of thirst. Wondering if misting them with cold hose water for a few minutes would help or hurt them. Anyone ever do this and what happened to plants?

growsince79

growsince79

I’m sure my plants have adequate roots water but are definitely affected by many days of 90-95 heat and show heat stress by midday. Plants droop a little but don’t wilt like dying of thirst. Wondering if misting them with cold hose water for a few minutes would help or hurt them. Anyone ever do this and what happened to plants?
Might want to move them into the shade for a couple hours.

BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines

I would think a simple misting system would be more appropriate. Idk if that’s going to solve your issue though.

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

Thanks for the tips. I have one in 15 gallon pot I can move to a shadier area. Maybe less light will help kick her into flower. The rest are in ground. I’ll give them a misting tomorrow morning before the day heats to mid 90s for the 4th day in a row, which is really pretty rare for northern Massachusetts. I like the foliar feeding idea.

AirHammer

AirHammer

Foliar watering is a bad idea unless your aiming to intensify the sun even more.

Think camo mesh my friend. To partially shade them from the direct sun until it starts backing off some.

As long as your getting water to the roots they will get through fine. Especially sativa doms. Full sativa take sun and heat a little better I find.

Adding a SURFACE layer of peat moss with some wood chips over top of that will retain some of that moisture for longer intervals.

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
I’ve blasted plants midday with a hose but now i prefer shade and light foliar feed on these wicked hot days, tomatoes too.
Tomatoes need a solid 2" of water per week. I water mine at 5:30am EST once or twice a week and mulch em too.

My MJ Autos sitting outside in 3gal fabric pots haven't wilted yet in 90°+ days. I keep them watered too though. They get about a gallon or two per week per pot depending on rain.

If your plants are wilting mid day, they don't have enough water plain and simple. I know some strains prefer more or less sun but typically plants don't wilt if they have enough water to support themselves.

IMG 20220723 195019  01

Madbud

Madbud

Foliar feed is risky in sunlight, i agree, but in shade or after sundown hasn’t been a problem. Sun (heat) wilt and water wilt are two different factors, one won’t cure the other, either shade or water depending how heavy the plant feels.

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
Foliar feed is risky in sunlight, i agree, but in shade or after sundown hasn’t been a problem. Sun (heat) wilt and water wilt are two different factors, one won’t cure the other, either shade or water depending how heavy the plant feels.
Good point, too much water most definitely wilts too.

Madbud

Madbud

Tomatoes need a solid 2" of water per week. I water mine at 5:30am EST once or twice a week and mulch em too.

My MJ Autos sitting outside in 3gal fabric pots haven't wilted yet in 90°+ days. I keep them watered too though. They get about a gallon or two per week per pot depending on rain.

If your plants are wilting mid day, they don't have enough water plain and simple. I know some strains prefer more or less sun but typically plants don't wilt if they have enough water to support themselves.

View attachment 1264357
Those tubs aren’t as susceptible to heat as a five or ten gallon black bag which can easily reach 140° on a 90° day in direct sun.
Edit: i’m seriously considering some cheese cloth like in the Godfathers garden scene. July has been ridiculous in MA.

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
Those tubs aren’t as susceptible to heat as a five or ten gallon black bag which can easily reach 140° on a 90° day in direct sun.
They are not tubs, just rings. They have open bottoms. It's to keep the critter at bay by setting it above ground level.

I've got two Auto plants growing outdoors in black 3gal pots. They haven't wilted at all this year.

PXL 20220723 121130978

PXL 20220723 121127565

These gals get direct sun all day is all I'm saying.

Top Bottom