Heating Small Area

• Thread starter Onetwothree
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Onetwothree

Onetwothree

So I just got my first electric bill whilst running my tent and it was a shocker. I've got a 600 HPS running 12/12, 2 small clip fans running all the time, and a 440 CFM inline fan running at 1/4 speed all the time. After calculating the wattage and my low cost of electricity (.05/kwh) things don't add up. The main variable here is that my tent is in a small room I created in my garage and is being heated by a 1500w space heater. Obviously, this is where the electric is being spent. So my question to you fine folks...any Macgyver style ideas on how to keep the room heated in the winter with something other than this god damned electric sucking space heater?

I keep the space heater outside of the tent, so it's heating up the small space as opposed to the tent...could I move it IN the tent? I feel like that might be A. dangerous and B. bad for the plants.

Any and all ideas/advice are welcome...because the way things are going I'm going to have to only grow in the spring/summer if I can't figure out a solution.

cannabeans

cannabeans

I run a heater at night IN my tent. Never any problems...I keep day and night temps as close as possible. This will prevent bud rot/mold. It will also keep powdery mildew from growing.
Why heat the rest of the place if it only the plants that need the heat?

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

I run a heater at night IN my tent. Never any problems...I keep day and night temps as close as possible. This will prevent bud rot/mold. It will also keep powdery mildew from growing.

Can I ask what heater you are using? I've been looking for something safe and reliable enough to put in the tent...Also, the shitty thing is the one I have DOES NOT work with a timer because once power is cut to it, it has to be manually turned back on. I'm guessing it's a safety issue. Also, what size tent do you have?

Have you considered a portable propane heater?

I hadn't even thought of that...that's a good idea. I thought those guys were more dangerous though? I've honestly never used one.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
What about the lasko 200 watt mini heater.

If you Google lasko 200 watt heater
You will find what I'm talking about.

It will draw much less current than your 1500 watt.
But will efficiently heat up your tent and Is small enough to fit inside.

Another option is to get those 200 watt ceramic ir heat emitter bulbs and hang one inside your tent. They won't create light at night to bother your plants.
But will create warmth

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

Another option is to get those 200 watt ceramic ir heat emitter bulbs and hang one inside your tent. They won't create light at night to bother your plants.
But will create warmth
Awesome. Loving these ideas everyone.

lemons

lemons

im running a single 400w hps in a 4x4. Things are getting chilly so a few days ago i unplugged my outtake fan and it bumped the tent up about 10 degrees.

The fan for circulation inside is still running to move air around.

cannabeans

cannabeans

I did not buy from them...
You can find the same brand at "Lowes"
Set it and forget it...
It does work really well for me...

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

But will create warmth
Just ordered this guy on Amazon...seems like the cheapest fix for now, if it doesn't work, it's only $20 down the drain. I appreciate the heads up...have you used it before with success?

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Just ordered this guy on Amazon...seems like the cheapest fix for now, if it doesn't work, it's only $20 down the drain. I appreciate the heads up...have you used it before with success?

To be honest I haven't used this particular model.
But I have seen it mentioned and pictured in a few grow threads either on this forum or another. It is on my list of items to order for my own tent.

I personally wanted the lowest wattage/smallest heater I could find. So I wouldn't be as worried about leaving it unattended or it needing to be 3 ft away like the big ones. This would be a plus since you need heat inside your tent.

My 2nd choice was the ceramic heat emitting light bulbs. They come in various wattages. 60w 100w 200w. They are used for reptiles but could easily be adapted to a grow space via hanging light socket, or a light bulb reflector with clamp.

Both these options seems wise for small spaces like ours. It limits the electrical current draw possible over time. So it will not put out high volumes of heat but should be able to shift the temp upwards where you need it over time.

Its like driving a old subcompact car. No matter how much you floor the gas pedal. It will still only do like 60-75mph, but will eventually reach its destination.

You said you had an inline fan for the exhaust. Where does the exhaust vent to? I mean does it suck the heat out of the room and outside? Or do you have it set to recirculate the air into the room the tent is in?

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

To be honest I haven't used this particular model.
But I have seen it mentioned and pictured in a few grow threads either on this forum or another. It is on my list of items to order for my own tent.

I personally wanted the lowest wattage/smallest heater I could find. So I wouldn't be as worried about leaving it unattended or it needing to be 3 ft away like the big ones. This would be a plus since you need heat inside your tent.

My 2nd choice was the ceramic heat emitting light bulbs. They come in various wattages. 60w 100w 200w. They are used for reptiles but could easily be adapted to a grow space via hanging light socket, or a light bulb reflector with clamp.

Both these options seems wise for small spaces like ours. It limits the electrical current draw possible over time. So it will not put out high volumes of heat but should be able to shift the temp upwards where you need it over time.

Its like driving a old subcompact car. No matter how much you floor the gas pedal. It will still only do like 60-75mph, but will eventually reach its destination.

You said you had an inline fan for the exhaust. Where does the exhaust vent to? I mean does it suck the heat out of the room and outside? Or do you have it set to recirculate the air into the room the tent is in?
Love that car analogy.

So basically my set up is a 10x10 room in my garage that I have the tent inside. I have the inline fan set up to blow the air out into the garage, so out of the room the tent is in. My thought process when setting it up was that it would be bad to have the same stale air constantly in the room. But that would definitely help the heat situation...would it be ok to have the air being dumped into the 10x10 room the tent is in as opposed to out into the "regular" garage area?

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Love that car analogy.

So basically my set up is a 10x10 room in my garage that I have the tent inside. I have the inline fan set up to blow the air out into the garage, so out of the room the tent is in. My thought process when setting it up was that it would be bad to have the same stale air constantly in the room. But that would definitely help the heat situation...would it be ok to have the air being dumped into the 10x10 room the tent is in as opposed to out into the "regular" garage area?

Yes you can dump the excess air back into the 10x 10 area the tent us inside. Many people heat their homes in winter like that.

Ekim26

Ekim26

never knew this..

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

Your 1500 Watt space heater can cost $100 per mo.+ if ran 24/7
So only heat area you need heated, and maybe wrap as much of your tent as possible w/insulating wrap of some kind to help keep heat in better...
That's a great idea...I definitely need to insulate the room better as well. It's all concrete right now. After harvest I'm going to overhaul the space and change it up to fix some of the mistakes I've made. That space heater ruined my electric bill this month.

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

I feel your pain man.... $800+ per mo. sucks, but it's worth it to me.
No doubt man. The bill was $400, which i'd be ok with except, it was triple what it was last year at this time. So, just trying to be cautious, ya know? I've heard too many stories probably.

Also, guys, what temperature would you consider too low for flowering? I kinda want to keep it low for the savings, but don't want to hurt the ladies. Especially since I'm about 3 weeks away... Is 65 too low?

Latest posts

Top Bottom