Heavy feeding and bud rot/mold

• Thread starter vonwolfen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
vonwolfen

vonwolfen

I finished with a side by side experiment useing my green crack strain(which seems to get bud rot easily. I took 12 plants. 6 and 6. On one side I feed them heavy to very heavy(both sides of the experiment used a feeding schedule I got online from the nute company..Light[which I cut by 10%], and Heavy Pro to be exact) and on the other I feed them light. In week 6 of flower I saw my first signs of bud rot in 5 of the 6 plant that had been feed heavy. By harvest all 6 heavy feed plant had mild to severe bud rot, and one of the light feeders had moderate bud rot..From what I figure when a plant takes more nutes into its cell it tries to rid itself of those nutes by pulling in more water to flush its cells. The water gets trapped in the cell membrane and any mold spores in the air now have a perfect place to grow...Now I am not an expert on this subject and I could be wrong about this but it seems to make sense giving what I have seen. If anyone sees a flaw in this please tell me.

X

X23hausted

Seems like a good guess to me. My only question would be, how was the condition of the heavily fed plants? Were they healthily fed with a heavy hand or were they over fed? Bc I would think the extra nutrients, within reason, would cause more vigorous growth and overall strength thus protecting it better against mold. Idk, just brainstorming.

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

I guess that's what happens when you grow a strand that was found in a trash can..lol Just jokin. Shame on the bud rot though.It's hard to really make any coments about the situation as I have no idea any details on your grow, like what's the temps and humidity in the flowering area? And some strands are just more prone to it than others.

vonwolfen

vonwolfen

Seems like a good guess to me. My only question would be, how was the condition of the heavily fed plants? Were they healthily fed with a heavy hand or were they over fed? Bc I would think the extra nutrients, within reason, would cause more vigorous growth and overall strength thus protecting it better against mold. Idk, just brainstorming.
From what I figure, and what others have told me. The plants try to balance out the amount of nutes and water. When they have to much nutes they use water(speratation of food and water done by the plants on their own)to flush the cells of the extra nutes. The problem starts when that water gets trapped in the cell membrane as the bud grows.
The plants started healthy. they were grown just for this test...since I posted this I found some other posts on the internet about this..Guess I wasnt the first to figure this out..Should of looked earler..it would have saved me some time, energy, and money...
http://bubbleponics.com/forum/showthread.php?3542-Bud-Mold

vonwolfen

vonwolfen

I guess that's what happens when you grow a strand that was found in a trash can..lol Just jokin. Shame on the bud rot though.It's hard to really make any coments about the situation as I have no idea any details on your grow, like what's the temps and humidity in the flowering area? And some strands are just more prone to it than others.

And some strands are just more prone to it than others
Yea..My GC is very susceptible to mold.The buds get very big, and very dense which is a contributing factor...

Hum levels, and temp stayed somewhat stable..35-50%hum..with highs in the mid 80's during, and after rain storms, and sometimes after feeding..Temps 70-80day(2 days high of 85 and 88)..55-75 night(I have some trouble keeping temps stable at night, but for the most part 60-75night...)

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

yeah those higher tems and the humidity combo will do it every time. I hadd a c99 x deep chunk that was that way. Main colas as thick as my forearm, but then I found mold during drying. We live we learn, then we get stoned soem more...lol I'd never be able to growGC any time of the year except right now. Dec Jan and Feb are my best grow months as I can control the temps and humidity. The rest of the year, I just don't grow certain things. That humidity..above 40% during flowering combined with excess nitrogen will start that mold every time. peace bro.

Latest posts

Top Bottom