Hello all newish farmer having ph issues :(

• Thread starter XtreemLee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
XtreemLee

XtreemLee

I’m one my second grow, I have two 18” plants each in there own 3.5 gal bubble bucket with 400 watt mh lamps. These plants are about a month old and ph drops like mad after a day. I just refreshed the water with ph 6.0 yesterday checked this am and it 5.2 and tomorrow it will 4.5.
my well water comes out at a ph of 8 and .4 ec. I adjust after added nutes to six. Then it drops like mad.

not sure what to do, I thought I was over nutrients so this last water change I didn’t add much at all (1.1ec). It it still drops like mad.
I have good looking roots and can’t figure out why it drops.
Thanks
Lee

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I’m one my second grow, I have two 18” plants each in there own 3.5 gal bubble bucket with 400 watt mh lamps. These plants are about a month old and ph drops like mad after a day. I just refreshed the water with ph 6.0 yesterday checked this am and it 5.2 and tomorrow it will 4.5.
my well water comes out at a ph of 8 and .4 ec. I adjust after added nutes to six. Then it drops like mad.

not sure what to do, I thought I was over nutrients so this last water change I didn’t add much at all (1.1ec). It it still drops like mad.
I have good looking roots and can’t figure out why it drops.
Thanks
Lee
We need more details. What nutrients are you using? How are you mixing them? Please provide NPK ratios, and any additives you're using, in the order you're using them.

Typically pH dropping rapidly is due to a lack of buffering, expired hydroguard, or improper mixing methodology. With more details, we'll be able to identify what's going on.

XtreemLee

XtreemLee

I use fox farm grow big and big bloom to about 1700-1800 ppm on the 700ppm setting. I plan on changing that to decimal ec in the future. I add per package directions usually getting ec to 1700-1800 ppm.
And I would add some fox farm root drench and microbrew at the levels listed.
what’s ec scale is used here to make it more simple?

XtreemLee

XtreemLee

I’m thinking I need to flush these plants and maybe just give them a bucket of water. I haven’t done a flush since I transferred them.

XtreemLee

XtreemLee

I think I am going to flush them with sledgehammer and try ph balanced well water and see how they handle it. I also need to clean better between grows. Flushing it all with h2o2 water and scrubbing the salts off.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I wouldn't recommend flushing them, that'll just shock the hell out of em. Are you using anything to maintain the reservoirs? like enzymes + hydroguard, or h2o2 or pool shock? It's possible you have a bacterial infection going on. As bacteria reproduce, it drops the pH very rapidly.

However if there's not a solid buffering agent in the water, like silica, that can also cause the pH to drop quickly as there's nothing to buffer the acids in the nutrients or pH down.

In terms of EC scale here, I always just assume the Hanna scale as that's the most common on the market. PPMs are fine to post, that's what 90% of us go off of anyhow.

XtreemLee

XtreemLee

My water comes out at a ph of 8 so what kind of buffer would you recommend. I assume from the rocks around this area are all iron stained, we should have plenty of iron in the water but I’ve never tested it. I’m leaning towards bacteria and that’s why I was thinking flush. I just washed all my unused equipment but I can’t change the stone or baskets that’s why a soa

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

My water comes out at a ph of 8 so what kind of buffer would you recommend. I assume from the rocks around this area are all iron stained, we should have plenty of iron in the water but I’ve never tested it. I’m leaning towards bacteria and that’s why I was thinking flush. I just washed all my unused equipment but I can’t change the stone or baskets that’s why a soa
Ph is only part of the equation. If you read the link its should make more sense.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I use fox farm grow big and big bloom to about 1700-1800 ppm on the 700ppm setting. I plan on changing that to decimal ec in the future. I add per package directions usually getting ec to 1700-1800 ppm.
And I would add some fox farm root drench and microbrew at the levels listed.
what’s ec scale is used here to make it more simple?

sounds like way too much for constant feed. The excess is very acidic.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

And with .4 ec source water buffering is not likely the problem. @Aqua Man we discussed confusing ph, alkalinity and likely causes and were going to simplify no?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

And with .4 ec source water buffering is not likely the problem. @Aqua Man we discussed confusing ph, alkalinity and likely causes and were going to simplify no?
Didn't really read the thread. I'm not understanding the last sentence but I agree not likely a buffering issue with the ppm of about 200. But with it being well water in not sure could be higher in others?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Didn't really read the thread. I'm not understanding the last sentence but I agree not likely a buffering issue with the ppm of about 200. But with it being well water in not sure could be higher in others?

could be a lot of things but you linked you ph thread first and it is likely simply too much nutes. It almost always is if growers are following any directions.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

could be a lot of things but you linked you ph thread first and it is likely simply too much nutes. It almost always is if growers are following any directions.
Could be just figure its a good idea to understand it forst and foremost.

Typically if your nitrogen is high in ammonium sourced nitrogen it will cause ph to drop as its taken up... nitrates will raise ph as its taken up... so may want to look there. We want to avoid ammonium based in hydro.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Could be just figure its a good idea to understand it forst and foremost.

Typically if your nitrogen is high in ammonium sourced nitrogen it will cause ph to drop as its taken up... nitrates will raise ph as its taken up... so may want to look there. We want to avoid ammonium based in hydro.

again all true. Not challenging knowledge. But full strength fox farm nutes will be too much. And they are very acidic.

Keep it simple is my answer regardless.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
again all true. Not challenging knowledge. But full strength fox farm nutes will be too much. And they are very acidic.

^^^ that's an excellent point. I'm four weeks into flower and not running as high of an EC -- doubt I ever will. Hydro simply doesn't warrant that. Didn't take that into account, though my personal experience hasn't warranted facing such an issue (yet). Good lookin out for sure.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Absolutely.... usually I try to explain so they fully understand the how and why and often it gets confusing. But feel it helps them a bit more than just giving the answer.

With that said it can confuse more than help sometimes if they are only looking for the answer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom