Hello Fellow Farmers

• Thread starter BearFlagBuds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BearFlagBuds

BearFlagBuds

Hello everyone! I'm about 3/4 through my first outdoor grow, I've been reading loads posts and really enjoy the process of growing. I really appreciate all the knowledge and experience the community shares with each other. My current grow is just 6 plants to gain some hands on experience but I hope to some day make farming my full time job. I appreciate any feedback or advice to improve my growing skills! I'll start a full grow diary eventually but here's a little intro to my garden for those of you interested.

Where: Outdoor Green House (6x8 from Harbor Freight) in my backyard in Central California (one of those towns between Stockton & Merced)

When: Started 3 of the seeds in April and the 3 Auto Flowering ones at the beginning of May.

Seeds: 3 of them are an Autoflowering strain I lost the name of, 1 is supposed to be Trainwreck and the other 2 are randoms.

Medium: Ocean Forest Soil

Status: 5 out of 6 have begun flowering, 2 of 3 the auto flowering plants have pretty big buds and I just harvested the smaller of the 2.

1 of the plants seems to have some white powder or bug on it. And a couple of the plants have been starting to have some yellowing leaves. I hadn't been giving it much nutes but after I got the yellow leaves a weeks ago I started giving them some CANNA Terra Floras 2-2-4 twice a week, but its a couple years old from the first time I attempted growing. I bought some new FoxFarms Tiger Bloom, Big Bloom, and Grow Big for the rest of this grow and my next. Also on the first one I harvested it has a few buds that are brownish, are they moldy or is it something I can just cut out?

Hello fellow farmers 7
Hello fellow farmers 4
Hello fellow farmers 3
Hello fellow farmers
Hello fellow farmers 9

Hello fellow farmers 2
Hello fellow farmers 5
Hello fellow farmers 6
Hello fellow farmers 8
Whitesnake

Whitesnake

yeah the big brown part of that one bud is bud rot, you can cut around it or trash the whole nug- i'd probably trash the whole nug but that's just me. looks like a fine first grow. welcome

BearFlagBuds

BearFlagBuds

Thanks for the advice and knowledge! What causes the bud rot and how can I prevent it from happening on future grows?

Strangeone

Strangeone

Hello everyone! I'm about 3/4 through my first outdoor grow, I've been reading loads posts and really enjoy the process of growing. I really appreciate all the knowledge and experience the community shares with each other. My current grow is just 6 plants to gain some hands on experience but I hope to some day make farming my full time job. I appreciate any feedback or advice to improve my growing skills! I'll start a full grow diary eventually but here's a little intro to my garden for those of you interested.

Where: Outdoor Green House (6x8 from Harbor Freight) in my backyard in Central California (one of those towns between Stockton & Merced)

When: Started 3 of the seeds in April and the 3 Auto Flowering ones at the beginning of May.

Seeds: 3 of them are an Autoflowering strain I lost the name of, 1 is supposed to be Trainwreck and the other 2 are randoms.

Medium: Ocean Forest Soil

Status: 5 out of 6 have begun flowering, 2 of 3 the auto flowering plants have pretty big buds and I just harvested the smaller of the 2.

1 of the plants seems to have some white powder or bug on it. And a couple of the plants have been starting to have some yellowing leaves. I hadn't been giving it much nutes but after I got the yellow leaves a weeks ago I started giving them some CANNA Terra Floras 2-2-4 twice a week, but its a couple years old from the first time I attempted growing. I bought some new FoxFarms Tiger Bloom, Big Bloom, and Grow Big for the rest of this grow and my next. Also on the first one I harvested it has a few buds that are brownish, are they moldy or is it something I can just cut out?

View attachment 728353 View attachment 728350 View attachment 728349 View attachment 728347 View attachment 728355
Welcome to the farm.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Thanks for the advice and knowledge! What causes the bud rot and how can I prevent it from happening on future grows?
bud rot is from high humidity..
Outside prob not much except get genetics that are really resistant to Pm and mold.
You might see what the Farm here has to offer, and maybe some outdoor guys might have some better advice...
Post up in the infirmary for any problems you have at this moment, and Outdoor growing to meet up with some farmers who have dealt with the same thing...
Welcome to the farm tho!

BearFlagBuds

BearFlagBuds

Thanks! Just throwing a little fan is helping with the humidity a lot. Should have put one in there a long time ago... Lesson learned.
Also another local grower suggested the white mold looking stuff was caused by thrips and after taking a closer look I think I see them. Just sprayed them down with some spinosad so hopefully they won't do any more damage.
I'll definitely find my way into the outdoor section and see what advice they have on future strains to try in my grow!

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Thanks! Just throwing a little fan is helping with the humidity a lot. Should have put one in there a long time ago... Lesson learned.
Also another local grower suggested the white mold looking stuff was caused by thrips and after taking a closer look I think I see them. Just sprayed them down with some spinosad so hopefully they won't do any more damage.
I'll definitely find my way into the outdoor section and see what advice they have on future strains to try in my grow!

Welcome, nice plants.

You should get a jeweler's loop. Can get one for as little as $2, maybe $5- $10 for a decent one. 10x magnification or better and/or a handheld microscope for not much more than the loop. Help you identify the critters better.

Sorry about the bud rot. That's unfortunate. Got a lot on the lower buds of our greenhouse grown Guerrilla Glue last year after we harvested the tops.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I'm from the Sacramento Delta. It was a pain to to grow plants down there. All the agriculture caused a lot of pest problems and the muggy air made them sickly. When you decide to start farming full time you should come join us up here in the mountains. It's so refreshing compared to the valley and the plants grow insanely well.

BearFlagBuds

BearFlagBuds

I'm from the Sacramento Delta. It was a pain to to grow plants down there. All the agriculture caused a lot of pest problems and the muggy air made them sickly. When you decide to start farming full time you should come join us up here in the mountains. It's so refreshing compared to the valley and the plants grow insanely well.

That's the dream! I'd love to live up in the mountains and get out of the valley, but this is where my job and house are for now.

I've tried a 10x jewlers loop, a 60x-100x little microscope and a pair of small binoculars reversed, and I've had the best luck seeing things with the binoculars. The hardest part is keeping still, I guess I tend to move a lot and any slight movement really throws it off. I've thought about trying to strap them to a tri pod to be able to look through it with out using my shaky hands.

Thankfully my bud rot was very minimal! I seem to have gotten pretty lucky for not putting a ton of effort into my first grow and not getting brutally attacked by pests or mold but there's always room for improvement.

Your current grow looks great too! Best of luck in the rest of your grow, I'll definitely be following it to see what it's like growing in the mountains.

Top Bottom