Hello! First time grower and having some serious problems!

• Thread starter Sirbobos
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sirbobos

Sirbobos

Hello everyone. Just wanted to take a second to introduce myself. I’m a long time medicinal cannabis patient and first time grower. I’m currently in the veg stage of my first white widow grow and I’m running into tons of problems so joined as a way to share my experience as a first time grower and to have resources I’d so many skilled farmers.

Hello first time grower and having some serious problems
Hello first time grower and having some serious problems 2
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Welcome to the farm... pics in natural light and a good description of equipment, environmental and some history of the grow will help others help you.

Sirbobos

Sirbobos

Here are my details. I’m growing white widow from seeds purchased from OO seeds. Using a grow tent with a 1000w light, a humidifier inside the tent and two fans, one on the ground to circulate the air and one blowing above the canopy on the plants. Three of the four plants have been great so far, one has trailed behind the others considerably from the get go.

They are all In their fifth week of veg.
topped them for the first time two weeks ago, a week later I moved them into 7 gallon pots with Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil. This is where the trouble started.

I fed them a gallon of water each a few days after transplant with half the recommended dose of Fox farm nutes, water ph’d to 6.5 and one ml of cal mag. Two of the plants ( the two that are still doing well” had plenty of runoff but the other two did not.
I also changed my alight to a 1000w led at the same time, about 24 inches above my canopy.
The issues I’m having aside from the color being dramatically different, is with two of the plants I put pictures of below.

I started seeing small holes in the leaves but I cannot find any sign of pests or eggs with a scopes!

I purchased bug traps which will be placed today but this morning I noted my new growth isn’t growing correctly and my leaves are deformed. I’m driving myself crazy trying to figure out the issue. Imoved the light to 32 inches above the canopy thinking I may have caused come light burn. Any help would be appreciated And I’m happy to provide more Details. The first several pics are the damaged plants and the runt which has stunted growth since the beginning. The last 4 pics are my “healthy” plants which are looking slightly less healthy.
One side note is my temps are between 72/76 and my humid is keeping between 60/65. I did have a few days where our temps really dropped outside overnight and the humidity and temps inside the grow tent were done significantly.

1A6034E4 8C69 4D69 A22A 65391419ABEF
384A4A64 1195 448B 83C6 619B655488BE
74BF6AB9 E307 4DC4 A2F8 D09EE93B7FC3
6ABDBC7B B2CB 46DB A48A B85740001878
804ED365 4170 471E 9424 1528D2A8C4FF
34558ECD 3954 45CE 97BF E0806085EA65
78F9FD02 50E9 4E59 841C 39E65CDA93E3
AE66A3F4 E67C 4160 98B5 3F68D4B7E561
26BB3C5D 9144 4F21 9E09 2030FA21863C
Sirbobos

Sirbobos

it is hard to see things under a blurple light. What do you see that you think are serious problems? Please provide more information....
Sorry was still uploading pics and still writing the info. They are all uploaded now. If you need better ones just let me know

Last edited:
Sirbobos

Sirbobos

Welcome to the farm... pics in natural light and a good description of equipment, environmental and some history of the grow will help others help you.
Just updated the pics and info. Thank you!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Little over fed maybe watered to often. Don't add nutrients yet the soil still has plenty. Also don't water until runoff unless feeding synthetic nutrients. Thise are big pots and plants will probably easily go 3 days in those conditions between watering maybe even more.

So water to moisten the entire pot... no run off yet.... Do not add anymore nutrients... maybe remove a couple of the largest oldest leaves for airflow. Make sure they have good air circulation but no direct airflow from circulation fans.

Sirbobos

Sirbobos

Little over fed maybe watered to often. Don't add nutrients yet the soil still has plenty. Also don't water until runoff unless feeding synthetic nutrients. Thise are big pots and plants will probably easily go 3 days in those conditions between watering maybe even more.

So water to moisten the entire pot... no run off yet.... Do not add anymore nutrients... maybe remove a couple of the largest oldest leaves for airflow. Make sure they have good air circulation but no direct airflow from circulation fans.
Thank you! I will start that now. In regards to watering, I gave them a gallon Saturday night and they are still very wet. I’m thinking maybe I should do half gallons each time and see how they do. I will stop watering until runoff and will remove a few fab leaves.

should I be worried about those small holes? I’m placing bug traps today but haven’t seen any signs of bugs. I appreciate this advice

Sirbobos

Sirbobos

The first two pics look like damage to leaves that were caused when you pinched back the top. Is that possible?
It would look that way, but that is new growth from after I removed the tops. One of the two new tops didn’t grow a fan leaf and the others grew all mishaped. The holes appeared overnight a few days ago. I’m wondering if maybe I’m hitting a dew point over night and the water is burning them? I’m going to follow aquas advice from above and lower the humidity/stop excessive nutes etc.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thank you! I will start that now. In regards to watering, I gave them a gallon Saturday night and they are still very wet. I’m thinking maybe I should do half gallons each time and see how they do. I will stop watering until runoff and will remove a few fab leaves.

should I be worried about those small holes? I’m placing bug traps today but haven’t seen any signs of bugs. I appreciate this advice
Honestly doesn't look like bug damage but it could be.. im not a bug guy. But looks more like cell damage. You want to keep the soil between 30%60% saturated. What happens if it stays to wet for to long is the roots end up being deprived of oxygen. When you water the best way to describe it is to just get all of the soil MOIST. Lol love that word.... moist moist moist. Lmao sorry. Then let it dry well they bounce back very fast from underwatering so don't be scared to let it dry a little to much one or twice to get an idea but you definetely don't want to let it get to dry consistently.

bighempn

bighempn

Basically what aqua man said. Only thing I’d do differently is the humidity should stay in the 60s and temps at 75-80F but make sure to lower humidity when lights go out. . Vegging plants like it warm and humid. I’ve recently started fallowing the VPD chart and I’ve seen a dramatic difference in plant vigor and health but also increased yield and quality. Also like he said, lightly deleaf those ladies. You got too much foliage going on there. If you’re using organic nutes, consider using liquid bone meal like Herculean harvest from nectar line. It’s bad ass for flushing, it helps buffer the pH in root zone and smashes on weight all through flower. Really, the whole nectar line is far superior to fox farm nutes. Here’s a pic of my gg#4 done with nectar.

4890620D 5F2D 436F B1DF 16F26B915663
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Incase OP is wondering about VPD. I find that indicas like the higher end of VPD (drier) and sativa like the lower end (humid) of the scales. Always account for leaf temps when calculating... its extremely important as most use online charts and can lead to incorrect values. Here is some info on it and a calculator app link.

Sirbobos

Sirbobos

Honestly doesn't look like bug damage but it could be.. im not a bug guy. But looks more like cell damage. You want to keep the soil between 30%60% saturated. What happens if it stays to wet for to long is the roots end up being deprived of oxygen. When you water the best way to describe it is to just get all of the soil MOIST. Lol love that word.... moist moist moist. Lmao sorry. Then let it dry well they bounce back very fast from underwatering so don't be scared to let it dry a little to much one or twice to get an idea but you definetely don't want to let it get to dry consistently.
This is really great info. Thank you. I’ll get to this ASAP and will update you with my progress. Keep it MOIST!

Sirbobos

Sirbobos

Incase OP is wondering about VPD. I find that indicas like the higher end of VPD (drier) and sativa like the lower end (humid) of the scales. Always account for leaf temps when calculating... its extremely important as most use online charts and can lead to incorrect values. Here is some info on it and a calculator app link.

Researching this immediately

awesome. Will read up on this after work

Sirbobos

Sirbobos

Basically what aqua man said. Only thing I’d do differently is the humidity should stay in the 60s and temps at 75-80F but make sure to lower humidity when lights go out. . Vegging plants like it warm and humid. I’ve recently started fallowing the VPD chart and I’ve seen a dramatic difference in plant vigor and health but also increased yield and quality. Also like he said, lightly deleaf those ladies. You got too much foliage going on there. If you’re using organic nutes, consider using liquid bone meal like Herculean harvest from nectar line. It’s bad ass for flushing, it helps buffer the pH in root zone and smashes on weight all through flower. Really, the whole nectar line is far superior to fox farm nutes. Here’s a pic of my gg#4 done with nectar.
That is beautiful! Another grower of white widow told me to keep the humidity in the 60’s too. I will try that and will avoid so much water and nutrients for now. Thank you both

HaveApuff

HaveApuff

Yes, I agree, slight, , chronic overwatering could be part of your issue, as you can see the heavy speed bump leaves and those larger grow pots, but I have seen something that makes me wonder if you don't have another issue with Thirps, or some other insect infestation, as I have circled a few of my observations in your photos. Maybe what I am seeing in some photos may be just the photo and the way I see it, but I would be looking much closer for any invaders into your grow space. The top image (2.jpg) though shows that something maybe there and starting to spread to your other plants. I would also drop the humidity down to about 50-55%. Plants will do fine 👍 To help, you can go here to have a look and see if there is something that matches your problem and gives you good solutions:

Last edited:
Mspdominique

Mspdominique

I think it's a mutation. I'm growing a WW right now and it has two-toned leaves and those little holes like you have. I could be wrong so don't take my word for it!

Top Bottom