Hello, new to THCFarmer

• Thread starter cronicoldguy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cronicoldguy

Hi.
To tell a bit about myself, I am in my 50s and have been smoking cannabis since I was about 14yrs. Cryonic from 20s on. I have always wanted to grow, but the opportunity/situation never came about. I use it for medicinal purposes as well as recreational. More so medicinal. I avoid pharmaceuticals as much as possible.

About 5 years ago, my ex wife was diagnosed with cancer. Although we had been separated for over 20 years, I offered what support I could. During that time, I learned of RSO and its benefits. I made a few crude batches with ethanol and offered it to her. She tried it but ultimately passed on it. Since then I have made a few batches for myself.

In the last while, I have done some reading on the web in the quest of refining my product further inexpensively, at home. I purchased a couple of vacuum flasks, Buchner Funnel, filter paper, Celite 545, and activated charcoal for filtering. I have a Source Turbo as well.

My goal is to have full spectrum oil thin enough to use in a vape cartridge. I want this oil to be 100% extract and as natural as possible. No thinners or additives. Just ethanol as a solvent for initial extraction. I am not doing this at any scale this is purely for personal use. I just want to be able to produce the highest quality product the average person can at home. THC is most desirable component. CBD secondary.

Most recent procedure I have been using. I know a lot of you will laugh, but hey, thats why I am here. To learn.

1) Dry flower in oven at low temp. 10 mins
2) Grind flower
3) Put ground flower in coffee press cup and fill with ethanol to 1/2"-1" above flower.
4) Let soak for about 30 mins stirring frequently.
5) Use unbleached coffee filter with coffee press screen and squeeze/filter out all solvent possible, pouring into collection jar.
6) Repeat the above for second wash and add to collection jar.
7) Filter one more time thru doubled up coffee filter.
8) Put in fridge freezer for a couple of days or so for shit to settle out -winterize.
9) Siphon the top layer of solvent off without getting any transition. Settled matter and the little bit of good solvent left thrown in junk jar for whatever I dont know.
10) Filter once again thru doubled up coffee filters.
- Distill the solution in a Source Turbo recovering ethanol.

Once the Celite and Activated Charcoal arrive, I will follow steps 1-10, but plan to add these steps prior to distillation in the Source Turbo.
Once step 10 has been completed, I will place filtered solution back into freezer and freeze over night with 1 table spoon of Activated Charcoal mixed into it. Buchner funnel, Celite and charcoal also in freezer.

11) Place filter paper in funnel and wet with solvent.
12) 1/2" layer Celite 545, wet with solvent and make a cake
13) 1/2" layer of Activated Charcoal, wet with solvent and make a cake (should there be a filter paper between cakes?)
14) Replace prepared funnel in freezer for an hour or two.
15) Vacuum filter into flask
16) Distill filtered solution in Source Turbo.

Again. I am a total noob trying to learn proper extraction. Flame away. lol

Extracting and producing concentrate for my personal use is a bit of a hobby as well. So I am keen to learning proper techniques and procedures. I have researched different extractions processes and ethanol extraction seems the simplest and least expensive to learn. At the end of the day, I want to be able to consistently and efficiently produce a quality product. Once I have a handle on extraction, I would like to venture into distillates.

Given my interest, I am hoping to source a small scale affordable rotary evaporator in the future. Any suggestions?

Thanks for taking the time to read and any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated.

Ponky

Ponky

If you're good with chemistry just buy the distillation equipment. A really high end flask heater and go for it. Distillation is awesome. Distillate is some of my favorite dabs to smoke. Great for cooking. Then mixing in your own flavors is a whole other side to it.

chemistry

chemistry

Welcome to the Farm, your in good hands, start a grow diary, show the Farm what your doing, and some one will chip in and help you out. 👍

LJ66

LJ66

Hey there, I’m also new here. I’m quite interested to read what you’re doing so will follow along. Cheers LJ

GoblinSmasher

GoblinSmasher

Welcome, I am here to learn too.

My recipe for thc chocolates is easy and I will just throw it in here

300 g dark chocolate 70% Cocoa at least

30 g flower

Lecithin

Two trays of silicon Molds,15 piece each.

Grind flower, decarb 40 minutes 115degree celsius

Melt chocolate in casserole low temp.

Mix these two ingredients (Flower and chocolate) and throw in a good spoonful of lecithin. It increases bioavailability and makes it more potent.

Empty casserole over the trays.

Let cool in fridge.

This are the best edibles i ever made. The taste is so much better than muffins or other kinds that have a more harsh taste.

Those edibles are strong. And I find them easier to deal with than using a dropper that easily clogs to fill empty capsules with oilmix.

C

cronicoldguy

If you're good with chemistry just buy the distillation equipment. A really high end flask heater and go for it. Distillation is awesome. Distillate is some of my favorite dabs to smoke. Great for cooking. Then mixing in your own flavors is a whole other side to it.
I have some chemistry experience. I was a oil and gas well Drilling Fluids Tech for 25 years. As a consultant for the last 10 years. My job was to sample, analyze chemical and physical properties of the drilling fluid, adjusting and maintaining programmed chemical and physical properties. One test procedure commonly used is to retort the drilling fluid. The equipment used to retort is pretty basic compared to a Short Path Still, but concept the same. Vaporizing liquids, condense, and collect.
With that said, I have a basic understanding of the Short Path Still operation/procedure. I think the biggest thing is seeing the vapor transitions and collecting at right moment. Once I have extraction mastered, I hope to move on to distillates.

Welcome to the Farm, your in good hands, start a grow diary, show the Farm what your doing, and some one will chip in and help you out. 👍
I am not growing. Wish I was. I am here more so for extraction help. Or is THCFarmer forum for cultivation only? I dont want to cluster a forum with unrelated topics.

Would I still post a work log doing extractions? I am more than willing to do so if it will help. I have done several build logs for PCs, so nothing new.

Moshmen

Moshmen

I have some chemistry experience. I was a oil and gas well Drilling Fluids Tech for 25 years. As a consultant for the last 10 years. My job was to sample, analyze chemical and physical properties of the drilling fluid, adjusting and maintaining programmed chemical and physical properties. One test procedure commonly used is to retort the drilling fluid. The equipment used to retort is pretty basic compared to a Short Path Still, but concept the same. Vaporizing liquids, condense, and collect.
With that said, I have a basic understanding of the Short Path Still operation/procedure. I think the biggest thing is seeing the vapor transitions and collecting at right moment. Once I have extraction mastered, I hope to move on to distillates.

I am not growing. Wish I was. I am here more so for extraction help. Or is THCFarmer forum for cultivation only? I dont want to cluster a forum with unrelated topics.

Would I still post a work log doing extractions? I am more than willing to do so if it will help. I have done several build logs for PCs, so nothing new.
We have extraction experts on the farm as well, some tutorials floating around under concentrates your welcome to add your technique

Ponky

Ponky

Then you're all set. Distillation is a very good hobby for someone who enjoys precision. Watching your columns and temps and trying to make clear gold is sciencing hard to the max bruh.
I say go all in.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

OK @cronicoldguy, sorry I am late to the party, thanks for hitting me up on PM.

You have a couple of threads going here on this topic, where would you like to continue the conversation and get your rotovap figured out?

Cheers!

josefrahl

josefrahl

Hi.
To tell a bit about myself, I am in my 50s and have been smoking cannabis since I was about 14yrs. Cryonic from 20s on. I have always wanted to grow, but the opportunity/situation never came about. I use it for medicinal purposes as well as recreational. More so medicinal. I avoid pharmaceuticals as much as possible.

About 5 years ago, my ex wife was diagnosed with cancer. Although we had been separated for over 20 years, I offered what support I could. During that time, I learned of RSO and its benefits. I made a few crude batches with ethanol and offered it to her. She tried it but ultimately passed on it. Since then I have made a few batches for myself.

In the last while, I have done some reading on the web in the quest of refining my product further inexpensively, at home. I purchased a couple of vacuum flasks, Buchner Funnel, filter paper, Celite 545, and activated charcoal for filtering. I have a Source Turbo as well.

My goal is to have full spectrum oil thin enough to use in a vape cartridge. I want this oil to be 100% extract and as natural as possible. No thinners or additives. Just ethanol as a solvent for initial extraction. I am not doing this at any scale this is purely for personal use. I just want to be able to produce the highest quality product the average person can at home. THC is most desirable component. CBD secondary.

Most recent procedure I have been using. I know a lot of you will laugh, but hey, thats why I am here. To learn.

1) Dry flower in oven at low temp. 10 mins
2) Grind flower
3) Put ground flower in coffee press cup and fill with ethanol to 1/2"-1" above flower.
4) Let soak for about 30 mins stirring frequently.
5) Use unbleached coffee filter with coffee press screen and squeeze/filter out all solvent possible, pouring into collection jar.
6) Repeat the above for second wash and add to collection jar.
7) Filter one more time thru doubled up coffee filter.
8) Put in fridge freezer for a couple of days or so for shit to settle out -winterize.
9) Siphon the top layer of solvent off without getting any transition. Settled matter and the little bit of good solvent left thrown in junk jar for whatever I dont know.
10) Filter once again thru doubled up coffee filters.
- Distill the solution in a Source Turbo recovering ethanol.

Once the Celite and Activated Charcoal arrive, I will follow steps 1-10, but plan to add these steps prior to distillation in the Source Turbo.
Once step 10 has been completed, I will place filtered solution back into freezer and freeze over night with 1 table spoon of Activated Charcoal mixed into it. Buchner funnel, Celite and charcoal also in freezer.

11) Place filter paper in funnel and wet with solvent.
12) 1/2" layer Celite 545, wet with solvent and make a cake
13) 1/2" layer of Activated Charcoal, wet with solvent and make a cake (should there be a filter paper between cakes?)
14) Replace prepared funnel in freezer for an hour or two.
15) Vacuum filter into flask
16) Distill filtered solution in Source Turbo.

Again. I am a total noob trying to learn proper extraction. Flame away. lol

Extracting and producing concentrate for my personal use is a bit of a hobby as well. So I am keen to learning proper techniques and procedures. I have researched different extractions processes and ethanol extraction seems the simplest and least expensive to learn. At the end of the day, I want to be able to consistently and efficiently produce a quality product. Once I have a handle on extraction, I would like to venture into distillates.

Given my interest, I am hoping to source a small scale affordable rotary evaporator in the future. Any suggestions?

Thanks for taking the time to read and any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated.

Welcome aboard!!!

Johnlandy420

Johnlandy420

Supporter

Get it bro. Rotavap all day. I press and add liquid terps for carts. Peeps love em compared to wack pgvg nonsense

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

So I started the conversation over here on your other thread

Latest posts

Top Bottom