Hello, This Is My First Post Here...question..

• Thread starter Hydro Jack
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hydro Jack

Hydro Jack

I just purchased a bunch of Tasty LED fixtures to replace the HPS I was using. Has anyone used multiple fixtures on an
Intermatic GM 40 timer? I was told that startup current limits the number of fixtures that you can use on a 20 amp circuit...My plans are to run all of them on the two timers that I have.. The timer is rated for 40 amps and all of the circuits are 12 gauge wire from breaker to the wiremold plug mold I use. I will be using a total of 35 cobs in all of the fixtures. Fixtures used are T1(2) ,T2(3), T3 (5) and T4 (3)...Thanks in advance......HJ

Last edited:
Paul Simon

Paul Simon

Your 20 amp circuit will trip at roughly 85% of it's load, so about 17 amps. The fixtures will draw a bit more on inrush (switch on) so if you add your fans and your lights and your are past 15 amps, you may well risk tripping the breaker when the lights come one. What is the total amperage draw of the fixture you are building?

Hydro Jack

Hydro Jack

The are built fixtures (Tasty Led).. 13 fixtures total as stated in the above question...I'm thinking they will draw a total of around 20-24 amps total...I know that you can load a 20 amp circuit to 80% of max current (16amps) these will carry only 10-12 amps each on the two circuits that I use for lighting...I do have another timer and circuit available but I would like to see if I can just use 2....HJ

Hydro Jack

Hydro Jack

Actually one of the timers is fed with 10gauge wire and is on a 30amp breaker...

Hydro Jack

Hydro Jack

I know that..I'm a retired electrician...I was asking this because I have no experience with LED grow lights...I plan on using both the 30amp circuit and the 20 amp circuit....I was worried about the startup current as I was told it is high but only for a split second..HJ

sixstring

sixstring

I had questions about my led setup as well.im running 3 meanwell drivers on 1 outlet rated at 20 amps and im not having any issues.i was told by one guy he had tried as many as 8 drivers on 1 oulet and it worked fine but did not recommend it for long term use lol.
I think that whole inrush thing is overrated with led
Im pretty sure 4 x 1000w hps has a very high inrush current,they just dont talk about it as much lol

Hydro Jack

Hydro Jack

I split the lights up and have 18 cobs on one circuit. It draws 12.4 amps... The other circuit has 17 cobs and draws 12.3 amps....They were just put into service yesterday...Today the timers worked with no problems...They are intermatic pool timers and are motor rated I think...I'll have to keep an eye on it but I think there will be no problems at all..HJ

Hydro Jack

Hydro Jack

There has been no problems at all with the starting current....HJ

Hydro Jack

Hydro Jack

27 days in flower....HJ
27days

Paul Simon

Paul Simon

Damn!!! Very impressive! I am stoked to see how this turns out. Tuned in!

Paul Simon

Paul Simon

What would you say the average height of your plants is? They are looking really impressive. Shoot us some close ups!

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

Looking great so your running 1260 watts of cobs in there ??? @ 72 V can i ask how long you vegged for
Looks great how are you handling the heat

Hydro Jack

Hydro Jack

I vegged way too long....they were 5 foot tall when I moved them into there....I bent the shit out of them...I have an exhaust fan running and a portable AC too............Temps have been manageable...........HJ

Paul Simon

Paul Simon

How tall would you say they are now? This is the sort of growth I am hoping to see before we start build our Cree 3590 fixtures. Very stoked. Keep it up!

Hydro Jack

Hydro Jack

It's hard to say how tall they are now....I have bent the tops way down and they are still around 5-6 foot...HJ

AvidLerner

AvidLerner

Have you considered an Arduino based timer system like GrowGreen. Controls up to eight light fixtures allowing you to plug them in any circuits you choose. Check out the 3in1 dimming thread for more info. Pm me for more info. Peace
Avid

AvidLerner

AvidLerner

I know that..I'm a retired electrician...I was asking this because I have no experience with LED grow lights...I plan on using both the 30amp circuit and the 20 amp circuit....I was worried about the startup current as I was told it is high but only for a split second..HJ
Meanwell recomends no more than six drivers per circuit. You should be fine. Peace
Avid

Latest posts

Top Bottom