Hello

• Thread starter zoot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
zoot

zoot

Hello everyone, thanks for the welcome. I’m retired from being an optician for 40 plus years. I also have a background in Sculpture and furniture design but it couldn’t pay the bills. Also into Hot Rods and built one, I just finished it last spring. The wife and I are enjoying not working and focused on our hobbies. This is a new hobby for me and look forward lots of good information and help. I need it !!
Thanks in advance
Zoot

Observationist

Observationist

Hello everyone, thanks for the welcome. I’m retired from being an optician for 40 plus years. I also have a background in Sculpture and furniture design but it couldn’t pay the bills. Also into Hot Rods and built one, I just finished it last spring. The wife and I are enjoying not working and focused on our hobbies. This is a new hobby for me and look forward lots of good information and help. I need it !!
Thanks in advance
Zoot
welcome to the farm!

you got a grow space?
any equipment?
anything setup?

plans?

we would all love to help out!

Last edited:
zoot

zoot

Thanks very much. I have the space, haven’t ordered anything. I’m about to pull the trigger on the lights but I was looking for advice.
plans are for four plants in that space. I’m trying to save money. I’m in a legal state so I’m not concerned about stink. It’s really just for my wife and I. We both have medical issues at this age and the stuff helps. I can get clones from a friend. Was wondering if I can veg and flower with the same lights or not ? We’re trying for a January start. Also, is it worth putting Mylar or similar on the walls ?
My wife is an experienced gardener so she will be a big help.
Any suggestions are much appreciated. Just starting
Thanks

Observationist

Observationist

Thanks very much. I have the space, haven’t ordered anything. I’m about to pull the trigger on the lights but I was looking for advice.
plans are for four plants in that space. I’m trying to save money. I’m in a legal state so I’m not concerned about stink. It’s really just for my wife and I. We both have medical issues at this age and the stuff helps. I can get clones from a friend. Was wondering if I can veg and flower with the same lights or not ? We’re trying for a January start. Also, is it worth putting Mylar or similar on the walls ?
My wife is an experienced gardener so she will be a big help.
Any suggestions are much appreciated. Just starting
Thanks
Yes, a full spectrum led will veg and flower

what space? A room? A closet?

can paint the walls “bright white” otherwise can put up reflective material of some kind if you want to go that route, otherwise a grow tent is a option.

ChesterCheeba

ChesterCheeba

Mylar or Panda film is great for a room that size. How high are the ceilings? I use a combination of HPS and CMH. CMH is used for both Veg and assisting in my flower room. Think about your ventilation too, it needs fresh intake and exhaust.

zoot

zoot

Thanks, it’s a 8’ ceiling, think Mylar is better than brite white ? Not familiar with HPS or CMH, are these types of lights ? Ventilation is not a problem, I have an exhaust system in the whole building.

ChesterCheeba

ChesterCheeba

High pressure sodium lights and Ceramic Metal Halide lighting. I use Mylar but panda film might be more cost effective. Both work great though so no worries.

zoot

zoot

Going with the Brite white high gloss paint. Unless someone thinks Mylar is better. Mylar is cheaper than paint. Crazy 😜

PK1

PK1

Supporter
the reflection and the paint stuff doesn't really matter, but it sure keeps things clean.

I take since this is your 1st grow, grow few plants in soil and go trough one grow to harvest. This will give you a lot of experience and you can then start on updating the grow room.
Light is a thought subject. Ppl have different feelings. One says HPS, while other say LED or CMH.
My suggestion would be to spend the money once and purchase a reliable light. If it is LED, make sure to have the samsung LM301 Diodes. Manufacture doesn't matter but the diodes does.
For nutrients make sure to pick something easy that doesn't need 10 bottles to create a simple nutrient batch. I use Mega Crop two parts. Easy as hell and it doesn't take a gini to figure out how to use it or at what levels.

zoot

zoot

Thanks for that. Going with LED’s. Yes this my first grow attempt. Trying to keep it simple as possible. As far as meters are concerned , I’m ordering a light meter, soil temperature, and ph. Anything else ??

Reactions: PK1
PK1

PK1

Supporter
deffinitly get a good brand PH,TDS meter. I've had the cheap amazon meters and they do the job until the probes go bad. so after few years of spending 20 dollars i got fed it up with it and finally purchased a more expensive meters. keeping them clean is key.

IMHO and this is just me, i didn't use the soil temp, sounds waste of money to me. The light meter can be beneficial if you want to know your yield vs Watt. These things to me could be in the upgrade zone.

Right now, focus on Light, Soil, nutrients and the ph,tds meter. This is what you need to get the grow started. Also, not once have i used CalMag but i know many people do here. Again, if you get good nutrients than you don't need many bottles.

zoot

zoot

Good advice thanks. Trying to order everything to get started soon. I appreciate your help

Reactions: PK1
Top Bottom