Help: 2 Plants not growing, 3rd seems sick.

• Thread starter AutoFlow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AutoFlow

AutoFlow

Does anybody have any idea what is happening with these plants? They are from a buddy of mine.
They were germinated with the paper towel method, and placed directly into pots outdoors April 11.
Soil is simple store bought soil for common plants, with no added nutrients.

April still had cold weather here, max temperature was 15c/59f daytime and nights up to -1c/30f to 5c/41f
May wasn't that great either with many nights temps going down to 7c/45f but daytime was better.

On June 2 more than 1.5 months after germination 2 of them were still very small and only 1 seeming to grow decently.
Help 2 plants not growing 3rd seems sick

June 17, 2 months old the 2 little ones almost didn't grow any but the larger one seemed to do fine.
Help 2 plants not growing 3rd seems sick 2

June 30 the 2 little ones have still almost made progress and seem to be dying off, larger one doesn't seem to do good either.

We are thinking it could be underwatering or overwatering.

Last edited:
AutoFlow

AutoFlow

I know its almost impossible to judge what is happening simply by some pictures and not much details but anybody has any suggestions what could be happening?

Plants on 3 July

Last edited:
Trash_2002

Trash_2002

I know its almost impossible to judge what is happening simply by some pictures and not much details but anybody has any suggestions what could be happening?

Plants on 3 July
View attachment 2002886
how much sun they are getting and what max temps?
Soil looks very dry from the photos, if that's the case do a good saturation of the whole soil and wait for 7-10 days or until it dry the first ~2 inches to water again.
roots need moist soil to grow healthy and uptake the nutrients available in the soil.
Also dry soil don't allow for the microorganisms to thrive and do their work in the media too.

AutoFlow

AutoFlow

Could very well be underwatering, i also thought of all pictures/videos i received the top soil looks very dry. Just like above.

Max temperatures have been few days up to 30c/86f with peak of 33c/91f but mostly around 25c/77f.
They are in a "concrete garden" with stone floor so environment temp could also be a bit warmer nature gardens.

These plants got put outdoors halF April, sadly the weather here in April and May was kinda below avarage with also many nights reaching near freezing point and between 5-8c / 40-45f so they had some cold nights for sure in the beginning.

Edit:
Also heard the soil is some type of cocomix, not bare simple soil. But no nutrients added i believe so far.

Other strange thing is we live in same town, same tempratures only he put his plants out half a month earlier then me. We also using same tapwater that sadly has ph of 7.5 but mine seem to do good with it.

Last edited:
Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Could very well be underwatering, i also thought of all pictures/videos i received the top soil looks very dry. Just like above.

Max temperatures have been few days up to 30c/86f with peak of 33c/91f but mostly around 25c/77f.
They are in a "concrete garden" with stone floor so environment temp could also be a bit warmer nature gardens.

These plants got put outdoors halF April, sadly the weather here in April and May was kinda below avarage with also many nights reaching near freezing point and between 5-8c / 40-45f so they had some cold nights for sure in the beginning.

Edit:
Also heard the soil is some type of cocomix, not bare simple soil. But no nutrients added i believe so far.

Other strange thing is we live in same town, same tempratures only he put his plants out half a month earlier then me. We also using same tapwater that sadly has ph of 7.5 but mine seem to do good with it.
Damn harsh outdoor conditions there for the first weeks of their life tho.
It can be a challenge. But 33c outdoor is ok with plenty of water and care.

That coco.mix soil could have a lot or nothing in it, hard to diagnose and give a solid complete advice ,other than it seems the plants are suffering with probable underwatering.

AutoFlow

AutoFlow

I agree they had to survive some cold nights for sure, sucks about outdoors you never know what the weather is going to do. Previous year we had allot better weather early on.

He put them outdoors right after germination half April, i started germinating May 5 but also kept them indoors for a week. However they had plenty of 5c/41f nights but perhaps because at a later stage of plant they handled it better.

But honestly i think my buddies problem is watering, how crisp/dry those leafs are breaking when touching them seems so odd. Ill try to convince him to give more water. He said pots could be 30L so i bet they need quite some water...

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Does anybody have any idea what is happening with these plants? They are from a buddy of mine.
They were germinated with the paper towel method, and placed directly into pots outdoors April 11.
Soil is simple store bought soil for common plants, with no added nutrients.

April still had cold weather here, max temperature was 15c/59f daytime and nights up to -1c/30f to 5c/41f
May wasn't that great either with many nights temps going down to 7c/45f but daytime was better.

On June 2 more than 1.5 months after germination 2 of them were still very small and only 1 seeming to grow decently.
View attachment 2001552

June 17, 2 months old the 2 little ones almost didn't grow any but the larger one seemed to do fine.
View attachment 2001553

June 30 the 2 little ones have still almost made progress and seem to be dying off, larger one doesn't seem to do good either.
View attachment 2001554

We are thinking it could be underwatering or overwatering.
Thank you for pics, you wouldn't beleive the amount of threads asking questions with no pics

Latest posts

Top Bottom