Help! 2 seedlings from seed doing very differently

• Thread starter Girlonbikes
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Girlonbikes

Girlonbikes

I have three seedlings of Kona Eruption from Gooeybreeder going. Two are in the same bucket and appear to be faring very differently.

Ph: 6.1
PPM: 300
temp: 70

I use gh trio and have been using feeding at half strength and added calmag a few days ago when I noticed a few brown dots. Now the one seedling has them all over. Any idea what I’m doing wrong? Or is this just a finicky phenotype? The third that’s in it’s own bucket appears to be doing fine also. I have a big 4” airstone disc in the 5 gallon bucket and a smaller cylinder airstone in the 3.5 gallon.

@Aqua Man do you have any suggestions? 🙏 I appreciate any insight people can offer me!

Help 2 seedlings from seed doing very differently
Help 2 seedlings from seed doing very differently 2
Help 2 seedlings from seed doing very differently 3
S

sshortguy1

I have three seedlings of Kona Eruption from Gooeybreeder going. Two are in the same bucket and appear to be faring very differently.

Ph: 6.1
PPM: 300
temp: 70

I use gh trio and have been using feeding at half strength and added calmag a few days ago when I noticed a few brown dots. Now the one seedling has them all over. Any idea what I’m doing wrong? Or is this just a finicky phenotype? The third that’s in it’s own bucket appears to be doing fine also. I have a big 4” airstone disc in the 5 gallon bucket and a smaller cylinder airstone in the 3.5 gallon.

@Aqua Man do you have any suggestions? 🙏 I appreciate any insight people can offer me!
look quite healthy to me but you got your light too low, the plants will grow, when it gets bigger take off the damaged leaves to save the nutrients for the rest of the plant, what do you expect? tomorrow be big? , lol be patient little grasshopper " grasshopper " refers to someone that is getting into the business, it takes months for a plant to get to full maturity, it took 3 months for my plants to flower back in the 90s, don't worry, if your pots have drain holes you can put water in the tray & let the dirt soak up the water without overwatering it, the plants will only take what it needs, by the way, did you get the online manual they gave you for signing up? I did but I'm starting to read what I need a refresher course on. what I have forgotten, if you have it I'll suggest you read it it'll start by the seedlings after 2 weeks goes into vegetation stage then after 12 weeks you go into flowering, which tells you what to look for & what to do during your process, a lot of fun, interesting & enlightening too

Last edited:
Girlonbikes

Girlonbikes

look quite healthy to me what do you expect? tomorrow be big? , lol be patient little grasshopper " grasshopper " refers to someone that is getting into the business it takes months for a plant to get to full maturity, it took 3 months for my plants to flower back in the 90s, don't worry, if your pots have drain holes you can put water in the tray & let the dirt soak up the water without overwatering it, the plants will only take what it needs
the brown dots all over the smaller one look healthy to you? That’s what I’m concerned about. Not worried that it’s necessarily smaller but I do wonder if that’s due to a deficiency.

Girlonbikes

Girlonbikes

look quite healthy to me what do you expect? tomorrow be big? , lol be patient little grasshopper " grasshopper " refers to someone that is getting into the business it takes months for a plant to get to full maturity, it took 3 months for my plants to flower back in the 90s, don't worry, if your pots have drain holes you can put water in the tray & let the dirt soak up the water without overwatering it, the plants will only take what it needs
Also this is in the hydroponics forum which means no soil…I’m on my fourth grow so I know that they don’t explode overnight haha but I take notice if one is struggling.

mjab702

mjab702

I'm not a big fan of wetting my ladies. Buy you could try to foliar spray cal mag on the one with the deficiency.

Girlonbikes

Girlonbikes

I'm not a big fan of wetting my ladies. Buy you could try to foliar spray cal mag on the one with the deficiency.
i'll give that a shot, so you think it looks like a calcium/magnesium deficiency?

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
Lower pH. Is your pH rising after you lower nute solution (or lowering)? Need to wait for that to stop before using that water on your plants

Girlonbikes

Girlonbikes

Lower pH. Is your pH rising after you lower nute solution (or lowering)? Need to wait for that to stop before using that water on your plants
no not terribly. but i also thought ph gradually swinging through the recommended range is a good thing because it allows the plants to take up different nutrients at different ph's?

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
I have plant in 6 and up not doing well and plants below 6 doing well. That's all I ~know

tobh

tobh

Supporter
drop your light intensity, get the pH down to 5.6-5.8. EC is on point. the dotting you're seeing looking like early calcium def to me, which can be triggered by light intensity especially at this stage. also, disregard that asshole sshortguy1. he's a troll. AMan is on hiatus atm but @PK1 and I can help you out.

On another note, what you ride? moniker indicates similar interests.

Girlonbikes

Girlonbikes

drop your light intensity, get the pH down to 5.6-5.8. EC is on point. the dotting you're seeing looking like early calcium def to me, which can be triggered by light intensity especially at this stage. also, disregard that asshole sshortguy1. he's a troll. AMan is on hiatus atm but @PK1 and I can help you out.

On another note, what you ride? moniker indicates similar interests.
Thank you very much for the help! I raised my light to 18” and have it at 40% intensity (150W) now. Do you think that will be low enough?

And for the moniker, fixed gear bikes, not cool enough for a motorcycle

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Thank you very much for the help! I raised my light to 18” and have it at 40% intensity (150W) now. Do you think that will be low enough?

And for the moniker, fixed gear bikes, not cool enough for a motorcycle
should be fine for now in terms of light intensity. let the babies find their legs before you make em run, ya know.

as for fixed gear bikes, well..... motorcycles are fixed gear in a sense lol what do you ride? i'm too old and broken to do bmx anymore, but raced a bit in the ABA when i was younger and more resilient.

Girlonbikes

Girlonbikes

should be fine for now in terms of light intensity. let the babies find their legs before you make em run, ya know.

as for fixed gear bikes, well..... motorcycles are fixed gear in a sense lol what do you ride? i'm too old and broken to do bmx anymore, but raced a bit in the ABA when i was younger and more resilient.
a 1965 Raleigh Carlton Grand Prix that I converted into a fixed gear and have some flat mustache bars on. very fun bike.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
a 1965 Raleigh Carlton Grand Prix that I converted into a fixed gear and have some flat mustache bars on. very fun bike.
oh damn, you're not fuckin around. i bet that thing rides like a dream. have a couple buddies that do road tours on similar frames. way too sketchy for me. i know what it's like on public roads on a motorcycle, and us "bikers" don't get killed nearly as much as road bicyclists. please be safe out there and keep your head on a swivel. cars don't see two wheels, as I'm sure you know.

Girlonbikes

Girlonbikes

Thank you so much! I love older steel lugged bikes. And I will be extra careful. I don’t ride nearly as much as I did in school. City streets are scarier than farm roads that I used to ride on while in college. Pedestrians and drivers are not careful with bikers so I am extremely careful.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

You should never have to spray them. If you added half the recommended dose ur fine. Did you start with ro water or tap? Might be giving it too much calmag. Regardless we will need to see the roots. And what is your room temp?

Girlonbikes

Girlonbikes

You should never have to spray them. If you added half the recommended dose ur fine. Did you start with ro water or tap? Might be giving it too much calmag. Regardless we will need to see the roots. And what is your room temp?
I am using tap water that sits out for over 24 hours and my tent temp is 70. Should I not have given calmag this early? I am going to change the water again this weekend, I can refrain from putting any calmag in

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I am using tap water that sits out for over 24 hours and my tent temp is 70. Should I not have given calmag this early? I am going to change the water again this weekend, I can refrain from putting any calmag in
I dont know how they use tap with calmag. I just know it's a bit more complex. I'd say that's the cause of ur spots,unless ur roots are slimy.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Yea no root rot Good good. So I use equal ratios of flora and calmag with ro. If you can get an RO filter kit I would. Otherwise it's a bit complex, I'm sure someone knows how but will they teach you lol.. I did the same thing. But I just went to Walmart and
Spent 20$ on bottled distilled... And ordered a 50$ under sink ro kit.. Plus a holding tank and line lol..

Top Bottom