help a fellow hydro bro

• Thread starter bluegrass
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bobby Smith

Again, I really, really don't like mixing wet and dry media in E&F applications (really any hydro application that I can think of).

Your stem will stay waterlogged from the rockwool while the roots will be drying out because the hydroton doesn't hold nearly the water the rockwool does.

Honestly, yes, washing hydroton is a PITA, but if you've got a bathtub, it really isn't THAT big of a deal.

If it were me, I'd go with hydroton (a more active media which will increase your yields because it increases your floods/feeds per day as compared to rockwool - feed rockwool once or twice per day vs. hydroton of once every hour or two), and it's a much more flexible media than rockwool.

With the same couple of 50 liter bags, you could fill up 9 one gallon pots, 81 4" pots, 36 6" pots, etc.........and all you need to do is by the ten cent pots.

Also, I never ran airstones in my reservoir with hydroton - I used to feed every hour or two, which was plenty of movement/agitation to keep the reservoir fine - with hydroton, the DO in your reservoir is much less important, as hydroton allows plenty of air to be present in the root zone.

FYI, I'm not a hydroton sales guy, and it does have its drawbacks, but if I was given the choice of one medium for the rest of my life, it'd be it.

S

Sense I. Milla

Hydroton is a good way to go! Its a bitch washing all the red dust the first run, but after they're washed, the can be reused again and again and again.

They need watering everyday, which can be high maintenance, but it's really such an easy medium to work w/.

I'll run 1" rock wool cubes after germ. After a week, when the roots pop thru, you can transplant straight into hydroton and that's it.

Just pre-soak your hydroton in ph balanced water for at least 24hrs. before use.

Also, and obviously, keep up on your watering schedule because hydroton wont hold any water and your plant's could dry out pretty quick like a day or two.

But because it doesn't hold any water, it has excellent drainage and air flow for your roots which are real helpful!

B

bluegrass

Ok you guys, you've talked me into it! Im taking the rockwool back to the shop tomorrow. I will start out with rapid rooters, then transpant into hydroton. The question is, should I use hydroton filled net pots? Or should I just put a bunch of hydroton into the table and plant directly into it? Thanks for all the help you guys and I look forward to hearing a response from ya! Thanks so much, and peace my friends!

B

Bobby Smith

You shouldn't use net pots - just use standard plastic flower pots - netpots will allow too much light to the rootzone.

B

bluegrass

Great advice, Im thinking square regular pots! You guys are awesome! Im getting the room together as we speak, Im going to take some shots for you guys to critique for me. If you dont mind? I really appreciate everything you guys and I will be in touch the entire way! Im just waiting on some genetics to roll in and we're off!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom