help a girl out!!! lots of pics.

• Thread starter sharl
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sharl

sharl

thanks for looking everyone. well, heres the facts: plants are about 4 weeks old in sunshine mix #4 amended with perlite and lime. nute are jacks classic and dyna-gro on alternating schedule. a water, feed, water schedule. also low doses of calmag and molasses, alternating each with feedings. ph in is 6.0-6.3, with suggested amounts of each nutes.
the first two pictures were taken when the symptoms first showed up. i watered with jacks and within 48 hours the leaves did that. i poured phd water through and the ec was 3.0 so i flushed em out. down to about 400 or so and ph 6.3.
its two weeks later now and theyve been fed at increasing nute strenghts with water in between and its showing up again. thats the next series of pics. you can see the progression.
looks like potassium deficiency sort of, but i cant figure out why. if it was due to lock out, shouldnt i have fixed that?
oh, temps in veg room are in between 72-80 with 40-55 rh.
i appreciate any help. really!
First sightjpg

First sight 2jpg

Image 1jpg

Image 2jpg

Image 3jpg

Image 4jpg

Image 5jpg

Image 6jpg

Image 7jpg

J

jamipg1

im using the sunshine aswell and about 3 weeks in it they are starting to do what yours are i cant figure it out

Mr. Greengenes

Mr. Greengenes

Too much potassium can block the uptake of other stuff like calcium, magnesium and iron, which is what the symptoms look like. Those plants are still small for the pots their in, there's lots of very nutritious media for roots to explore if they want more food. My guess is that the media is pre amended to some degree, and that the added nutrients are too much for smaller plants that haven't really begun growing fast yet. It also looks like maybe an (over) watering problem contributing.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
i don't know the answer you are looking for but i wouldnt just keep posting the problem on differnt sites. if you get 50 differnt answers what will you do then? up your does of cal-mag and you will solve this problem. give it cal-mag at every feeding until the problem stops, the old growth will not recover you are looking for the new growth.

A

antimatter

You gotta experiment but understand that feeding at 0.6-0.8 ec and having healthy plants is better than having to work backwards from 1.8+ ec, shit 1.6 ec would burn my girls pretty quick.

sharl

sharl

hey. thanks for your responses.
jamipg1- mine are a little older, just stunted badly. lets hope we figure it out!
mr. greengenes -theyre in one gallon pots. theyre about 5-6 weeks old. small i know. the sunshine #4 supposedly has a charge for about a week i think. i think i definitely overwatered the first few weeks, but i think i got it down now. mostly. i started with a low ec. only around .5. thanks a lot.
kid twist- hey. i read all these forums daily and i just wanted to get as much input as possible, but yeah, youre right, it did turn out to be really confusing! i did follow your advice though about the calmag. thanks
monkeybone-yeah the new growth is good. its right as they get big that the tan then burn happens. thanks for the advice.
antimatter- yeah started low and think im actually too low still. that 3.0 was a run off reading. im tryin to get it figured out though

eyes

eyes

looks like an iron problem to me with possible osmosis and nute burn starting to happen.Nute chemicals are funny in soiless mixes as its hard to get a rock solid schedule down without burning the crap out of the plant.Try upping your ph to 6.6-6.8 in soiless pro mix.

I would go with 1 fert and 2-3 waterings then ferts again.Im not sure if you are using r.o water,or what your ppms of the nutes your watering with.Im not too familiar with dyna or jack.Im partial to flora nova gro or bloom.1 part mix your strength and water.Ph usually balances at 6.3 or so.Youll have to add some ph up for soiless.

eyes

eyes

also,if your not allowing for at least 10 percent run-off youll def have all kinds of lockout/nutrient deficiencies.SOILESS especially peat/pro mix products hold nutes well.GOOD runoff is essential as well as nutrient timing freqency/strength too much too often is no good.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Too much potassium can block the uptake of other stuff like calcium, magnesium and iron, which is what the symptoms look like. Those plants are still small for the pots their in, there's lots of very nutritious media for roots to explore if they want more food. My guess is that the media is pre amended to some degree, and that the added nutrients are too much for smaller plants that haven't really begun growing fast yet. It also looks like maybe an (over) watering problem contributing.
<Sea high fives Greengenes> Pretty much how I'm viewing it, though I don't see the overwater problem you're seeing. Definitely burned from too much food.

I've never used Sunshine Mix and I don't know what's in it, but I believe it's one of those soilless media that will perform better if you treat it more like coco than soil. Now, look at this: http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=166378

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
on the chemdog pics the new growth looks fine look at the smaller leaves that are just starting to come through. there is no burnt tips on the new growth and the stems are nice and green. are you feeding at a 3.0 EC? or is that what the run off is?

seamaiden i dont think sending her of to yet another site is a good idea. she is already posting this on a few as it is and getting so many responses. If we cant help her here we shouldnt be posting in the thread.

also just a little side help. when you wont to quote or replay to many peoples posts. click the MQ(multi quote) button in the bottom of their post until the very last post you wont to quote on the last post just click the quote button. then it will all appear in your post and you can type your replies in between each quote. this way people can better understand the thread.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't track other people's postings on other sites, Kid, it's not my responsibility. I added the link because it seemed quite relevant to both her and others who have had problems using this mix. I'm sorry *you* don't find it helpful, but that won't prevent me from posting in a thread if I think it's pertinent and/or helpful.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
not an attack on you seamaiden you are very helpful, plz dont take it that way. i should have worded it much better.

sharl here is some of you pics blown up, the new growth looks to be coming in quite nice, keep up with the cal-mag as chemdog needs it or her stems go purple and her leaves start to yellow with the green veins. Also i think the EC of the soil will go down in a bit. this happens to me with foxfarm sometimes after the 1st couple watering's then it gets normal. if the brunt bothers you just alot or you want to monitor if there is new burning cut the leaf in half that is burnt.

Healthy1
Healthy 2
Healthy 3
L

lil miss lone

I recognize those leaves tell me, are there any bugs in your medium, little crawlies, or any flying gnats?

sharl

sharl

thanks so much for all of your responses!
heres some pictures of the Chemdog that im running along side these trainwrecks with the same nutes. they were sleeping.a few of the trainwreck in the initial pics are a week behind, but still really stunted. last night i transplanted some of the bigger chemdawgs and a few trainwrecks that seemed like the roots mass warranted it into fresh sunshine mix. i highered the e.c. on watering in on some to 1.2 (plus a full 10mls per gal of cal/mag - with kid twists advice), and little kelp. with a few others i just watered in with 6.3 phd water. just to see i guess. overnuting? undernuting? lock out? not enough cal mag? i really appreciate all your advice. its really so helpful and im really grateful for your time.

also,if your not allowing for at least 10 percent run-off youll def have all kinds of lockout/nutrient deficiencies.SOILESS especially peat/pro mix products hold nutes well.GOOD runoff is essential as well as nutrient timing freqency/strength too much too often is no good.

eyes- im using ro. the ppm is under 75 coming out. have read so many ph suggestions for the soils peat. been just going from 6.0 to 6.5, but never higher than that. you think i should give it a try? have def. been water feed water in an attempt to not let salts build up. at the suggested dosage of dyna grow the e.c. is about 400, jacks is 800. wasn't sure about listening to bottles or using a more scheduled ec chart for weed. like wk 3- .8 ec, wk 4 - 1.0e.c. or whatever. i also really have done the 10percent runoff thing. obviously my frequency/strenght and reading the plants is way off. thanks for your help.

<Sea high fives Greengenes> Pretty much how I'm viewing it, though I don't see the overwater problem you're seeing. Definitely burned from too much food.

I've never used Sunshine Mix and I don't know what's in it, but I believe it's one of those soilless media that will perform better if you treat it more like coco than soil. Now, look at this: http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=166378

seamaiden. hi. thanks for chiming in! when it first started happening (pics one and two) i definitely had it attributed to overfert and lockout maybe so i flushed. got the medium down and ph set right and started feeding 1/4 strength. in the next pics , after i picked off bad leaves, you can see its progression again. i kind of thought i was initially overwatering leading to some poor uptake and deficiencies, but after the flush, i definitely let em dry out pretty well and it happened again. yeah ive read up on the sunshine mix and have been trying to treat it sort of like passive hydroponics. thanks for the link. i actually read the a while back when i started using the mix, but its good to be reminded and read it again. it and was truly helpful then and now. one of the better one on that mix from people using for sure.

on the chemdog pics the new growth looks fine look at the smaller leaves that are just starting to come through. there is no burnt tips on the new growth and the stems are nice and green. are you feeding at a 3.0 EC? or is that what the run off is?

sharl here is some of you pics blown up, the new growth looks to be coming in quite nice, keep up with the cal-mag as chemdog needs it or her stems go purple and her leaves start to yellow with the green veins. Also i think the EC of the soil will go down in a bit. this happens to me with foxfarm sometimes after the 1st couple watering's then it gets normal. if the brunt bothers you just alot or you want to monitor if there is new burning cut the leaf in half that is burnt.

kid twist-hi again. those are trainwrecks. heres the Chemdog pics though. totally different outcome, but still some concerning streaks and purpling. the e.c. runoff was 3.0. im only going in at .8 or so (what the nutes come out to after mixing per instructions on bottles). yeah i guess i did notice that with the more vigorous ones in the same soil, same sized pots that the ec did go down when measuring their runoff. thanks for blowing those up. yeah the new grows always looks good and then when they're one leaf set under that it happens. is that then considered old growth and a mobile element problem? wasn't sure about that one. at first i was trying to just let the leaves fall off, figuring it'd be less stress than picking off and that if she was using the leaf as a source to draw elements from that id let use it all up or something. don't know if thats really how it works though. just trippin i guess
thanks for the advice on how to reply. that'll make it better for sure.

I recognize those leaves tell me, are there any bugs in your medium, little crawlies, or any flying gnats?

cemsgirl - thanks for your input. you know, last run and with this issue now, i read all bout the root aphids dirt mites ect. last time i had a similar issue, but was in 6 inch rockwool cubes and had some root rot, leaf death. similar looking. i checked out bout the root aphids and looked and looked with the scope. saw maybe one thing that could maybe been a sign of the aphids on the yellow sticky card. so so tiny. like a speck of dust, but so so ugly in the scope. i treated em(tree and shrub).blasted em, h202 em, and they did perk up, but i couldn't tell if it was that i fixed root rot that i actually caused by overwatering in the first place or they healed up by killing the aphids and the fungus gnats. i still don't know if i actually had em or not. aint i supposed to be able to see em on the roots with the scope at least? oh yeah, been checking out the medium now for them aphids, fungus gnats and larvae too and giving them some go nats every once in while. got the yellow cards out too. seems okay on that front.

Chemdawg red streaks
Chemdawg1
Chemdawg2
I

InvisibleM

What kind of lime did you add, lots of different kinds of lime? What is the NPK % in the jacks?

Sunshine mix comes ready to use, you don't need to add anything. The last time I had any major problems in soil was in the 70's, ph'ed the water using a faulty meter. Since the lime would affect both the ph and calcium magnesium ratio..... have to know what was the makeup of the lime and go from there....

In soil it should work perfect 100 times out of 100. Since you have an ec meter it's probably not that.

The basics -

Use the same ec every time you water. Have runoff every time you water. Don't water till they start to dry out a little. Then there are temps, humidity, light, and wind. If all of those are correct you got it....

also Jacks should work OK in soil but Sunshine is more soiless, so a hydro fertilizer might work better because they have everything.

Sshfan

Sshfan

I'm no expert and would wait for someone to verify but if it is soiless mix then ph of 6.3 is too high and will lock out some nutrients that are better absorbed in the lower ranges in a soiless mix. I use coco coir which is soiless mix and I ph to 5.5-5.8. When I was not testing ph and watering at 6.5ph I was getting by but not near the results with the correct range.

You can look at this chart for preferred soil and soiless ph ranges and I would read this whole post if you have time.

Also you could ditch the sunshine #4 for 100% coco. So easy even I can do it.

S

SSHZ

It's a mid-grade magnesium deficiency.........

1. Green veins

2. leaf tips and edges discolor and curl upward

Don't raise pH above 6.5 or you'll lock out more Mg, making t worse. 6.0- 6.1 pH will work fine.

sharl

sharl

hey all. thanks for your replies!! my posts got to go through a moderator or something before they show up, so........

What kind of lime did you add, lots of different kinds of lime? What is the NPK % in the jacks?

Sunshine mix comes ready to use, you don't need to add anything. The last time I had any major problems in soil was in the 70's, ph'ed the water using a faulty meter. Since the lime would affect both the ph and calcium magnesium ratio..... have to know what was the makeup of the lime and go from there....

In soil it should work perfect 100 times out of 100. Since you have an ec meter it's probably not that.

The basics -

Use the same ec every time you water. Have runoff every time you water. Don't water till they start to dry out a little. Then there are temps, humidity, light, and wind. If all of those are correct you got it....

also Jacks should work OK in soil but Sunshine is more soiless, so a hydro fertilizer might work better because they have everything.

hey invisible- thanks for responding. i used espoma garden lime. dolomite. sort of crushed it a bit first. had been reading around and it seems like, lots of people add it to stop the eventual drift after what comes in the mix is used up. also perlite and some ewc. the jacks is 20-20-20 at 1/4 tsp/gal every watering or 1tsp every other or third (guessing with water in between). was reading good things about it. its pretty much the same as the dynagrow except no cal and mag. thats why i was switching every third feeding and adding cal mag or molasses to the feedings. obviously somethings amiss. yeah was wondering about what the added lime would do to the cal mag ratio. havent yet gotten a definitive answer about that yet though. you think my added lime is locking out the mag? i was also worried about the ph meter being off even after calibrations(its a hanna digi tri meter thing) so i got some drops for back up. been using ro, so its pretty much lways the same.been watering to runoff and finally figured out the pot weights so im sure i let em dry out in between. my temp in the veg room is about 72-80 with 40-50 rh, so it seems good. maybe i should just stick with the dyna grow. my other option is some gh 3 part that i inherited. dont know why i havent used it. thanks again. im gonna keep on tryin til i get it right.

I'm no expert and would wait for someone to verify but if it is soiless mix then ph of 6.3 is too high and will lock out some nutrients that are better absorbed in the lower ranges in a soiless mix. I use coco coir which is soiless mix and I ph to 5.5-5.8. When I was not testing ph and watering at 6.5ph I was getting by but not near the results with the correct range.

You can look at this chart for preferred soil and soiless ph ranges and I would read this whole post if you have time.

Also you could ditch the sunshine #4 for 100% coco. So easy even I can do it.

It's a mid-grade magnesium deficiency.........

1. Green veins

2. leaf tips and edges discolor and curl upward

Don't raise pH above 6.5 or you'll lock out more Mg, making t worse. 6.0- 6.1 pH will work fine.

sshfan- thanks for writing. after much reading, including multiple visits to your link, i guess i decided to just try to stay in between 6.0-6.5 and make sure to read the runoff a lot.
ive have thought about the coco, but i got to use these bales of sunshine mix and make some dough before i can buy anything else. and i figured that if greenhouse commercial growers are so into it and other mj folks, i should be able to figure it out. obviously not so easy!
i sure hope it mag and that my uping the dose of calmag evens things out. (thanks kidtwist!). we'll see. thanks for your time.

L

lil miss lone

ok, I'm glad its not the aphids then, we've had it for at least a few months now and recently started studying about it. Your leaves do look abit diff. than what happens with aphids though.

Now that were rid of em we give 5ml per gallon Hygrozyme to help the root rot issues that those things cause.

Good luck with your grow, and I'm sorry I couldn't be of help further.

Latest posts

Top Bottom