Help, Accidental prematurely flowering plants

• Thread starter jc999
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jc999

So after doing excessive research on prematurely flowering plants, I'm almost 100% convinced that's what happened to several of my plants due to me transitioning for indoor to outdoor and not paying attention to light cycle changes. That being said, it has been flowering now for approximately 6-7 weeks. A couple questions about what to do next.
1. Should it be about time to harvest? (assuming it's flowering stage is going to stay the same as any regular photoperiod plant) Reason I ask is because it looks kinda underdeveloped, has airy buds, but that may be due to the premature flowering.
2. How much can I harvest if I'm attempting to re-veg without totally shocking the plant to death?
And how to trim it so it gets the most out of the re-veg?
3. When is it too late to try and re-veg? Does this one specifically look too late?
4. I noticed at least one of the seven flowering plants started growing out single leaves excessively (which i read most likely is due to the plant re-vegging itself. Do I have to harvest or can I let it continue into the second flowering with first flowering buds?
5. Like in question 4, I mentioned noticing the single leaves growing and assuming it re-vegged itself, but the others around it did not grow any single leaves, does that mean they did not re-veg themselves? Or is it possible they still did?
6. Are there any ways to tell if it re-vegged itself other than the leaf pattern?

Any answers would be appreciated, or any tips or other knowledge or expertise.

The first picture is of the plant that I'm curious about harvesting, the second is of the plant that grew the single leaves.
Help accidental prematurely flowering plants
Help accidental prematurely flowering plants 2

Last edited:
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
So after doing excessive research on prematurely flowering plants, I'm almost 100% convinced that's what happened to several of my plants due to me transitioning for indoor to outdoor and not paying attention to light cycle changes. That being said, it has been flowering now for approximately 6-7 weeks. A couple questions about what to do next.
1. Should it be about time to harvest? (assuming it's flowering stage is going to stay the same as any regular photoperiod plant) Reason I ask is because it looks kinda underdeveloped, has airy buds, but that may be due to the premature flowering.
2. How much can I harvest if I'm attempting to re-veg without totally shocking the plant to death?
And how to trim it so it gets the most out of the re-veg?
3. When is it too late to try and re-veg? Does this one specifically look too late?
4. I noticed at least one of the seven flowering plants started growing out single leaves excessively (which i read most likely is due to the plant re-vegging itself. Do I have to harvest or can I let it continue into the second flowering with first flowering buds?
5. Like in question 4, I mentioned noticing the single leaves growing and assuming it re-vegged itself, but the others around it did not grow any single leaves, does that mean they did not re-veg themselves? Or is it possible they still did?
6. Are there any ways to tell if it re-vegged itself other than the leaf pattern?

Any answers would be appreciated, or any tips or other knowledge or expertise.

The first picture is of the plant that I'm curious about harvesting, the second is of the plant that grew the single leaves.View attachment 2005890View attachment 2005891
You'd need to be more specific about the details. It's a lot of hypotheticals.......where are you? What variety? If you start a plant early indoors (or outdoors) and then take it out (or in), What's early? What are the circumstances?

The picture of the first plant is completely defoliated......the second is a close-up, it does look like it was somehow light cycle damaged.....

Maybe one question at a time should be tackled, I know you want to know a lot about light cycles and how plants respond to various circumstances, good and bad, but it's hard to answer all of those questions together without it being a series of long answers that cover a lot of areas.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
If that’s all you have going on, it probably wouldn’t hurt to let the outdoor ones keep going and see what happens. But I wouldn’t put much time or money into them. The results will probably be disappointing. But there’s only one way to find out. I just nuked two of them today, myself. Florida is a tough place to grow outdoors. Especially south Florida. But it probably can be done if you do enough research.

J

jc999

You'd need to be more specific about the details. It's a lot of hypotheticals.......where are you? What variety? If you start a plant early indoors (or outdoors) and then take it out (or in), What's early? What are the circumstances?

The picture of the first plant is completely defoliated......the second is a close-up, it does look like it was somehow light cycle damaged.....

Maybe one question at a time should be tackled, I know you want to know a lot about light cycles and how plants respond to various circumstances, good and bad, but it's hard to answer all of those questions together without it being a series of long answers that cover a lot of areas.
Yeah I see what you mean, lots of variables.
I'm in Florida, and I started them indoors until they were just started vegetative stage then they go outdoors but I failed to consider the amount of light/dark hours outside. Only my second grow so it's definitely a trial and error process for me. And yes I actually just defoliated it because I noticed a small bit of mold and was trying to make sure there wasn't any more, possibly overdid it 😅 and also I wasn't sure that this one in particular was damaged by the light or not but with the others showing they did and the airy, loose bud formation I thought possibly it did too.

Last edited:
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Maybe you should concentrate on getting an indoor set up going. When your harvest time coincides with the height of the hurricane season, it’s generally no Bueno! Even if you do manage to get them that far.

J

jc999

Maybe you should concentrate on getting an indoor set up going. When your harvest time coincides with the height of the hurricane season, it’s generally no Bueno! Even if you do manage to get them that far.
Yes! That is my goal, I'd much rather have a few indoor plants growing with the right equipment, have quality seeds with great genetics and high quality fertilizers for each stage, that way I know they are growing to perfection. As opposed to right now where I'm indoors and outdoors with a handful of plants I grew using seeds I found, all with different, unknown genetics. Its exhausting 😅 especially to get this far down the road just to realize I made a very preventable mistake.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Don’t feel too bad! It is a lament oft heard around here. No substitute for due diligence before getting started. Certain areas just aren’t conducive to successful outdoor grows. You don’t see people succeeding in places like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Dakotas. And pretty much the same with the deep south. Either the season is too short or they are mold and mildew factories. Hang in there! You’ll get her figured out!

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Yeah I see what you mean, lots of variables.
I'm in Florida, and I started them indoors until they were just started vegetative stage then they go outdoors but I failed to consider the amount of light/dark hours outside. Only my second grow so it's definitely a trial and error process for me. And yes I actually just defoliated it because I noticed a small bit of mold and was trying to make sure there wasn't any more, possibly overdid it 😅 and also I wasn't sure that this one in particular was damaged by the light or not but with the others showing they did and the airy, loose bud formation I thought possibly it did too.
Hey, I totally get it. Florida is different than most other areas.......same for anything deep south......you're almost getting into tropical/equatorial. The first thing I would do is match your growing to your location. The good news is that this opens up the door to many Sativas. I would try to get seeds of varieties like Hawaiian.......Jamaican.......seek out varieties that are native to your latitude, and match up to your weather and seasons. I always advise getting a notebook, there's nothing like putting pen to paper as you go through your research and journey.

I don't know if growing indoors where you are would be worth the added efforts of requiring cooling and dehumidifiers......maybe during certain months only, and the rest of the time outdoors. If you time it right and work with certain varieties, you might be able to squeeze 2 outdoor and 1 indoor harvest per year.

Take advantage of your area, but build good soil, work your land. You couid produce some really exciting sativa varieties, varieties that no one else has......

It's usually not advised to blend indoor and outdoor. Light cycle issues, transporting bugs and other unwanted things.....don't try to outsmart nature, work with it and use it to your advantage. As far as all those questions that are more about "How does this whole growing cannabis thing work?", there are a few classic books that are the backbone of growing. Sure, some of the stuff is a little outdated, you can also spend some time learning about LEDs, how to fial in VPD, building soils using enzymes and beneficial bacteria.........but the real fundamentals are the same.

Marijuana Botany
Marijuana/Cannabis grower's handbook (anything by Mel Frank & Ed Rosenthal)
Cultivating exceptional Maijuana
Sinsemilla
The Cannabis grow bible

And specifically for you, I think you'd really dig "Cannabis Sativa".

Top Bottom