Help an old man pick a new L.E.D flower light! (On a budget.)

• Thread starter ReeferRon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ReeferRon

ReeferRon

O.k so like the title says...I'm an old school grower. Probably started growing seriously about 35 years ago. About 4-5 years ago I got mites real bad and decided to take a break from growing my own for a while.

Well, I've got the itch again! I've already got my seeds from the breeders. Set up my veg room with a 4ft 8 bulb T5 for my seedlings, and a Bloom Plus 3000 (my first ever L.E.D light) for vegging them.

I've never used anything other than HPS/MH so I'm a complete noob to the new technology.

Looking for a light to replace my 1000watt HPS for flower in a 4x4ft area. And....I only have around $600 to spend on it. Am I crazy or do you think I can find one?

I have been looking at the Spider Farmer 4000. They say its good for a 4x4 space, but will it perform like my 1000watters? From the reviews it looks like it can produce some nice colas... Anyone use this light or know anything about it?

Anyone have any other recommendations for flower lights? I'm open minded... HELP!

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
I'm not very well versed in the different lights but I only just started out and got two Mars Hydro TS1000 for my 2/4/6ft tent and I'm very happy with them.
For your space maybe have a look at the TSW2000 or TSL2000, you would get two of them for less than 600, maybe also have a look for discount codes in the vendors/sponsors part of the forum.
I ordered direct from their website.

ReeferRon

ReeferRon

I'm not very well versed in the different lights but I only just started out and got two Mars Hydro TS1000 for my 2/4/6ft tent and I'm very happy with them.
For your space maybe have a look at the TSW2000 or TSL2000, you would get two of them for less than 600, maybe also have a look for discount codes in the vendors/sponsors part of the forum.
I ordered direct from their website.
Mars Hydro huh, I will for sure check them out...

Cracken

Cracken

there are a couple threads on led lights that i read on here that you can scan for ideas. everyone feels the one they have is the best. (as always) personally i purchased a 6 panel 600W from Alibaba and then modified it to suit my 3X5 grow room so i can't recommend a off the shelf. I have heard good things about the spider farmer lights but also heard a guy swear by HLG. if you go to youtube, check out "Migro" they are light reviewers who give a good analysis of many different lights on the market and also have their own lights. you will see first hand which lights out shine (pun intended) the others. light spectrum is also important since different manufacturers use different components to produce their lights and some of the cheaper lights are running near capacity so they will only last a year or two before they start making less light. many factors to look at but, most of the popular light are almost all the same. like a car many options to choose from but the fancy names mean nothing after the light is hung up and turned on. A friend of mine bought a 4 panel light cut it apart and uses it in his 4X4 room. when the lights are made they try to make the highest ppfd at the center so on paper it looks better but the sides of the room suffers. I prefer even light over my room which hps was bad for as well due to IR heat even running vented light covers. sorry for the ramble and all over the place with my answer. it early in the morning and I have a cold so focus is lacking today. last thing, LED's have made strides in progress over the past 10 years. they are still not beating hps 100% but with the correct knowledge and set up LED's will give better yields and have impressed me to no end so far. Good luck and happy growing.

Moshmen

Moshmen

You will find what ur looking fir 600 fair budget for 4x4 ! It’s of options I run a mars light and kingbrite next will be an hlg -
All of them will grow bud for sure

I can say in my opinion the spider farmer and mars are over priced for the product you get

ReeferRon

ReeferRon

there are a couple threads on led lights that i read on here that you can scan for ideas. everyone feels the one they have is the best. (as always) personally i purchased a 6 panel 600W from Alibaba and then modified it to suit my 3X5 grow room so i can't recommend a off the shelf. I have heard good things about the spider farmer lights but also heard a guy swear by HLG. if you go to youtube, check out "Migro" they are light reviewers who give a good analysis of many different lights on the market and also have their own lights. you will see first hand which lights out shine (pun intended) the others. light spectrum is also important since different manufacturers use different components to produce their lights and some of the cheaper lights are running near capacity so they will only last a year or two before they start making less light. many factors to look at but, most of the popular light are almost all the same. like a car many options to choose from but the fancy names mean nothing after the light is hung up and turned on. A friend of mine bought a 4 panel light cut it apart and uses it in his 4X4 room. when the lights are made they try to make the highest ppfd at the center so on paper it looks better but the sides of the room suffers. I prefer even light over my room which hps was bad for as well due to IR heat even running vented light covers. sorry for the ramble and all over the place with my answer. it early in the morning and I have a cold so focus is lacking today. last thing, LED's have made strides in progress over the past 10 years. they are still not beating hps 100% but with the correct knowledge and set up LED's will give better yields and have impressed me to no end so far. Good luck and happy growing.
Thank you! Yes I am doing lots of research. So much to read and so many options... If I had the money I would go with Fluence, Optic, or Raging Kush. But alas I am but a poor white boy... lol

ReeferRon

ReeferRon

You will find what ur looking fir 600 fair budget for 4x4 ! It’s of options I run a mars light and kingbrite next will be an hlg -
All of them will grow bud for sure

I can say in my opinion the spider farmer and mars are over priced for the product you get
So much to think about and so little time...my seedlings are already going so I've just got a month or two and its flower time!

IMG 20201101 061808
ReeferRon

ReeferRon

I purchased a BP3000 for vegging after the T5. ANY thoughts on that light? Got a really good deal coming in at right around $250 shipped. I shoulda turned it on for the vid but damn is it bright. (My first L.E.D experience.) Makes that ole T5 look dim as hell.

Moshmen

Moshmen

If your not worried to much about warranty or don’t mind china boards I’ve had these only for about 6 months but they paid for them selves already.

D97C047D 486B 4AA4 AF6B AAB5D0245CB3
CC1B5306 E8F6 490D BC59 23DA6BADD7F6
ReeferRon

ReeferRon

If your not worried to much about warranty or don’t mind china boards I’ve had these only for about 6 months but they paid for them selves already.
Man for $600 I could get 4-5 of those...I do have a 4x8 space available...would 4-5 of those ..."china"...boards cover a 4x8? hmm the plot thickens...

seekinglight

seekinglight

I grow with a spider farmer 4000 in a 4x4 tent and on the other side of a small room use 1000 watt CMH. I have had good results with that led. No complaints about that light for the money. Later photos are Chemdog that I ran in the tent prior to vid

20200905 0721281
20200905 0901551
Harvard

Harvard

Growers choice 680 run $799 here. I replaced my hps 1000’s with them, so far looking pretty comparable to the hps for yield. It’s my first run and would be happy with 2.5 lbs per light with the power savings, got 3+- per 1000 hps.

ReeferRon

ReeferRon

Growers choice 680 run $799 here. I replaced my hps 1000’s with them, so far looking pretty comparable to the hps for yield. It’s my first run and would be happy with 2.5 lbs per light with the power savings, got 3+- per 1000 hps.
Nice light for sure but I'd have to go a little outta my price range...Cant find it for any cheaper than $900 for me...something to think about. I might just go that route...Thank you!

Harvard

Harvard

Nice light for sure but I'd have to go a little outta my price range...Cant find it for any cheaper than $900 for me...something to think about. I might just go that route...Thank you!
I just seen in the seed thread your from Michigan, growers edge in Rockford has them for 799. They usually have to order them.

ReeferRon

ReeferRon

I just seen in the seed thread your from Michigan, growers edge in Rockford has them for 799. They usually have to order them.
Cool. But I'm a couple hours from there. I'm in Redford.( A small suburb of Detroit.) I'm sure if its there it can be had for that around here too. For sure at the top of a short list for now.

ReeferRon

ReeferRon

I grow with a spider farmer 4000 in a 4x4 tent and on the other side of a small room use 1000 watt CMH. I have had good results with that led. No complaints about that light for the money. Later photos are Chemdog that I ran in the tent prior to vid
WOW. Nice set up. I love the nice even canopy! Thank you for your post!

Well, I'm still reading and doing lots of research... The SF4000 is still probably the light I'm gonna go with. I found another 5% off coupon code on youtube (MRGROWIT5) so that takes another $30 off the price. That's $562.32 to my door...

So many choices! I think one of the deciding factors for me is the fact that Spider Farmer has a presence here on THCFARMER. The ability to communicate with the manufacturer in such an intimate setting has just about won me over! It was only a coincidence that I joined looking for info on SF and here they are! Almost sold... still have some time but not much!

Oh I'm so excited! Like a proud papa...

Top Bottom