Help Design Grow Room

• Thread starter jigglybones
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jigglybones

Hi Friends,
I need help designing my grow room. Any and all suggestions or feedback on your experiences would be greatly appreciated as I've never done this before.

I listed my budget and what I think I'll need to buy. If I left anything out, please tell me.

$3,000 budget
15’3” x 15’9” (room dimensions)
9’ ceiling
1000 watt hps bulb
Reflector
Ballast
Ducting
Light hangers
Flanges
Fans (intake/output of room, cool light)
Carbon scrubber
CO2 tank, regulator
Controller (turn CO2 on/off, fans)

ps I'm growing organically in soil & hand water. Also, I live in the Sacramento,CA region. Any recommendations on hydroshop also appreciated.

thanks friends

R

Rolln J

just a few things I can think of immediately...

weatherstripping - your gonna want to seal that room up as good as you can so the air comes in only where you want it too.

mixing can - even though your gonna hand water I would get a small rubbermaid garbage can (the industrial one) on wheels to make your mixes in.

small pond pump - after you make your mix you will need to water, if you get a small pump and some black flexible hose you can make a very nice water wand. what I do is get one of the 3 foot green garden stakes and attach it to the hose at the last three feet with zip ties, makes watering easy and more efficient.

temp gauge/humidistat

grow log - you should write (or type) everything you do and see daily, temps humidity, ph of your mix, ph of your runoff, what your mix is etc.

ph test - either a ph pen or even the good old vial/dropper deal - you need to ph your water.

rubber gloves - for transplanting and harvesting

zip ties - for organizing cords

I could go on and on - I live in the mountains 20 minutes form any hardware store and over an hour from a grow shop, so it pays to have what you need for work.

J

jigglybones

thanks Rolln J - there were a few things on your list I didn't even think about. hoping i'll get a few more good tips. appreciate it, man.

J

Jalisco Kid

Forget the CO2 you are not ready for that. buy more lights,ppm meter ,things you can use. JK

R

Rolln J

no worries - thought of a few more

your gonna prolly want to fashion some kind of screen to grow them up through as well - many options - you can use lattice, or that big tomato netting.

I get 14 of the 4 foot green garden stakes and make "lattice" out of them. Start by making a square and use bailing wire on the corners to lash them together. then lay 5 out in one direction evenly spaced and lash em up then the other 5 going the other way - you end up with a lighweight 6 hole by 6 hole lattice that you can clean with bleach in between grows.

the other thing I forgot to mention was get a box of the 6 ml thing co-extrude plastic and cover all walls in the grow area with it - its just as reflective as mylar but again you can clean it with a light bleach solution between grows.

chain, eye hooks and s hooks - your gonna need to hang shit right?

another thing to consider is your floor - I took the carpet out of the room and got the cheapest vinyl flooring I could find to protect the floor from spillage - trust me it happens...

R

Rolln J

Forget the CO2 you are not ready for that. buy more lights JK

lol well one good point is that your room is gonna be a lot bigger then your actually grow area, making it a lil more expensive and harder to maintain your levels, especially if your not making a sealed grow room and for that you gonna need a dehumidifier and ac

J

jigglybones

Rolln J - well, yeah it is supposed to be a sealed room. I plan on exchanging room air, so that makes it a sealed room, right?

Jalisco Kid - can you elaborate more on why i'm not ready for the CO2?

thanks friends

monkeybone

monkeybone

Bonez
Supporter
Greetings Jiggly,
Every journey starts with a single step :o)

Most grow rooms are designed around a certain growing method or style. I would build a soil based (big pots) plant type room different then I would design a room for a sea of green in planting beds. You also left out are you building only a flowering room or is this a shared space with your vegetation?

You are certainly going to get a yield variance only using a single 1000w in that large of space with your outer plants getting much less lumens. Also your intensity will be greatly reduced because a single light hood will need to be high enough to cast light at 6' high on the outer plants main growing tip. The further away from plants the light is it loses 50% of its intensity for every foot away from the plants. Of course it can't be too close without having a sealed ventilated hood or a liquid cooled bulb. Either the light neds to be raised and lowered to maintain that intensity or the plants will need to be put on elevated platforms then lowered as they grow. Of course the later part of the veg stage on indica or indica hybrids isn't that critical, but on sativa's you have to keep the light intensity high on them without burning them of course, to avoid stretchy internode growth.

I would use two 600w HPS over a single 1000w anyday. In a 15x15 you have room for more lights which will increase your yield greatly,.. up to a point and dependent on the strain and your growing expertise.

I also noticed you don't have any timers listed for your lights, or intake/exhaust, and with a CO2 system that is crucial. I do see you have a controller to turn your CO2 on, are you investing in the climate controller with a co2 monitor ? As that has the timers for your intake/exhaust fans as well as turning on/off the co2 supply. A wise investment.

I noticed you didn't list any plastic for your room, something like a 4mm Panda plastic or white with a black backing to create a sealed barrier in your room(all walls, ceiling and floor). Also to reflect as much light as possible, mylar sheets are a nice addition to the center of the walls to add more reflectivity. I can go into the many reasons to fully plastic your room, but the best is to keep bugs out and smell in. You will want a Hepa Filtered intake(screens at home depot work) and a carbon filter for your exhaust with a fan that has enough cfm to create negative air pressure. What you are trying to create is a sealed room similar to what they create to remove asbestos. I use industrial spray glue to tacky up any place where I use contractor grade duct tape on seams. I also use tape and glue over every staple hole and when you staple, don't staple directly to the plastic as it will tear, put the spray glue/ tape combo on the plastic and staple the tape. I have used wood screws on 1"x3" pieces of thin wood for hanging the ceiling piece of plastic, and that is taped and sealed to the wall, and the floor piece is sealed to the walls finishing the barrier. Once you get the ventilation system working, it will feel like a professional grow room, not a plant on a wood crate with a light bulb hanging in the basement with barren walls.

Soil tips: Changing your plants pots - You will want to transplant into larger pots as your plants grow, and don't jump from a seed into a 50 gallon pot. As a general rule if the plant is twice to three times as high as the pot, time to transplant to a larger pot. Seedling pot, 4", then 12", then 5 gallon bucket, then to a final large size pot or a grow bed. Use a mycorrhizae inoculation when you transplant for some awesome root development. Use a good soil-less mix like sunshine mix or a good organic soil like foxfarm with bat guano and earthworm castings. Invest in a ph pen, a PPM pen, and a ph soil meter. When you feed them water and root stimulant test the drained water for PPM and PH to make sure you are at your target amounts for the life cycle your plant is in. Use the soil meter to spot check the soil, but there is no substitute for testing the flush water. Learn when to only water and when to feed, over fertilization and ph problems are the number one sources imho of growing problems. Let your plant use the water and dry out but not to the point of wilting. Look at the leaves, they will be up waving in the breeze with their tips pointed up when they are happy and droop or sag when they are sad.

I noticed you are missing circulation fans, but you at least had the light cooling fans(ducted or pointed at the bulb). You need to lift the CO2 off the floor and spread it around your plant leaves. The leaves should constantly be moving slightly, not like a hurricane. :)

Cooling: A small portable AC that you can duct in or duct the heat it makes out, would allow you to raise your CO2 levels, otherwise your heat will rise fast causing your exhaust fan to be on too often to allow your plants to enjoy the massive boost.

Some people will start with a small grow and expand it as they go. Being a medical patient you have a large network out here that will assist you, but be careful as advice can be a double edge sword. I am sure you have heard the old mantra, but never ever let anyone that isn't growing in your grow room know about it. I have several friends who grow but they don't see what I do and vice versa unless we are working together.

I could be preaching to the choir, but wanted to look out for my fellow patients with the friendly advice and tips. Feel free to ask any questions, I'm not in this for profit and glad to share the knowledge.

Most hydro shops charge a premium over internet prices and they deliver to your door. Since you are legal, you don't have to worry as before mail ordering nutrient and grow equipment. Google is your friend, comparason shop. Ebay is a good reference for many items but not always the cheapest if they charge for shipping. Many ship for free at a cheaper price and I have found a few ballasts cheap.

Peace

R

Rolln J

edit: like to preface this with saying this is not a rip on you monkeybone, just my experience - that was an awesome post - you really took some time and laid all that out for him!

I see it posted a lot how 2 600's is better then a 1000 - but that has not been my experience.

I had 2 tables with the same ebb/flow 4x4 with 2 600's and a 4x4 with a 1000

for three grows the 1k table consistently outperformed the 2x600 side - plants were bigger, buds, yeild, and THC all bigger, more and better.

proof is in the OG, SSH, GxSD and WW I grew in that last year

the best buds on the 2x600 table, were the ones closest to the 1000 - which btw was a MH (one of the warm spectrum ones)

Im one of those guys who resisted HPS for a long time and Im starting to think that at least for certain strains the mh or a mix of the 2 (as Im currently running) is better.

on a side note Im now running the 1000 in the middle with the 2 600s on the sides and added a third tray to fill a 4x8 canopy - hydroton ebb/flow (new setup for me) Ill be starting a log as soon as I find that damn cord for my camera.

the great thing about growing your own medicine is there are so many methods and styles and variations on those - that work!

a lot of which I would never know about if not for these forums.

S

Sway

i sent a pm, but i dont think u have enough posts for it. so here:

im in the sacramento valley area, and a prop 215 patient/caregiver. if you need help setting up your garden, or need help finding good priced equipment locally i can help you out. I have built many different grow rooms for my friends and for my self. let me know...i also have some hookups on equipment. figured i would help out a local sacramento cat.

J

Jalisco Kid

Co2 really only works when everything else is working. I have seen more people ruin herb with CO2 in the beginning rather then help. You need to have everything else dialed in. And right now you have nothing to dial in. Figure out how you want to grow and what you want to grow. Be truethful and ask yourself how much time and learning do you want to do. A lot of people end up going back to buying herb.JK

I would cut your room in half. Buy a Hortilux Blue 1000w mh. Buy some cheap 8 dollar 18 gal tubs, install drains. fill bottom with 3 inches with hydroton. Clean wash coir till clear,same with hydroton. Fill the rest with 60/40 hydroton/ coir. Use GH 3 part or Canna aqua flakes. Run drain to waste. Do not go over 1000ppm. This will get you a grow under your belt, a couple lbs of herb(5 week veg). You need a chiller to really get into hydro and on your budget you can not afford it. I hate kiddy pools but you might want to check out Texas Kid's threads for some ideas. He does not buy too many shiny things.
Tell no one, not even your brother. If you did tell them you changed your mind and never smoke your bud with them. And tell your good buddy old friends you get your herb from the clubs.

J

jigglybones

Wow, what a wealth of info. Thanks to EACH of you for taking the time to help me. I appreciate it beyond belief. Keep the suggestions coming.

Sway, I tried to PM you back, but they won't let me. That's okay though, my pea brain is close to overload right now. lol... hey, do you go to any of Sacramento's ASA meetings?

S

Sway

last time i went to an ASA meeting there were about 4 of us there. so i quit going, but that was years ago so im sure its much better now

J

jigglybones

Sway, the ASA meetings are usually standing room only now. A lot of people grow.

S

Sway

hmm, might have to check it out... they still do it at canna care?

J

jigglybones

Hi Sway, yeah, the meetings are at: 320 Harris Ave suite H Sacramento CA 95838 7pm this coming Tuesday. Obviously, there are many medical mj pts, and a lot of growers. Usually its standing room only. They've got great legal info & an assortment of very interesting people. lol....

Latest posts

Top Bottom