Help Diagnose Deficiency.

• Thread starter greenthumb89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
greenthumb89

greenthumb89

Hi I was wondering if anyone had an opinion as to what this deficiency is at first I thought it may have been calcium so I added a little cal mag to my water but it seems to be spreading. The medium is sunshine mix 4 , bit of earthworm compost and perlite, the top bit is filled with perlite in hopes of keeping fungus gnats at bay. I haven't fed anything besides the last feed which was 1/4 dose of Gh GO veg and abit of cal mag. the strain is Black indica and hash plant both plants are exhibiting the same thing but the two pics are of just the black indica.
Help diagnose deficiency
Help diagnose deficiency 2

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Hi I was wondering if anyone had an opinion as to what this deficiency is at first I thought it may have been calcium so I added a little cal mag to my water but it seems to be spreading. The medium is sunshine mix 4 , bit of earthworm compost and perlite, the top bit is filled with perlite in hopes of keeping fungus gnats at bay. I haven't fed anything besides the last feed which was 1/4 dose of Gh GO veg and abit of cal mag. the strain is Black indica and hash plant both plants are exhibiting the same thing but the two pics are of just the black indica.View attachment 639554 View attachment 639555
Ph?

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

the ph is usually around 6 and I keep them from drying out in the start but Ive been feeding them by spray nozzle mist kinda thing. so I doubt its over watering.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Huh, now that's got me thinking because I was leaning towards a P-.

NightsWatch

NightsWatch

Well it does look like phos and probably adding all the other nutrients has created a ph issue in your soil
I suggest she is time for a transplant anyways make so transplant up do a slurry test making sure new soil is ph perfect and grow along it clearly shows leaf tips curling in what looks like the beginning stages of the Claw .
Telling me soil has become to hot

So make new soil slurry test to make sure ph is right
transplant with a light dose of nutrients forget the damaged leafs. and observe new growth

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Sorry if already answered. What is the ppm of your water source?

Ca and Mg are competing cations. I don't get why somebody would add those at the same time unless soil tests showed deficient. I would up pot like others are saying. Answer my first question still please.

Ecompost

Ecompost

Hi I was wondering if anyone had an opinion as to what this deficiency is at first I thought it may have been calcium so I added a little cal mag to my water but it seems to be spreading. The medium is sunshine mix 4 , bit of earthworm compost and perlite, the top bit is filled with perlite in hopes of keeping fungus gnats at bay. I haven't fed anything besides the last feed which was 1/4 dose of Gh GO veg and abit of cal mag. the strain is Black indica and hash plant both plants are exhibiting the same thing but the two pics are of just the black indica.View attachment 639554 View attachment 639555
this is more than one problem now., are you watering through the perlite? You said misting, does this mean foliar feeding only, what is the % moisture of the soil?
You are getting gnats because your environment is wrong mate, ergo too wet, gnats like damp wet, so do fungus, go figure.....
Your numbers must be out, there is little chance this is pH 6. It looks to all the world like you have been over watering it, the plant is pale, lacking n and S and mg and Fe. The red spots are symptomatic of calcium, potassium and the end leaf damage is showing P.

Just because you added it, dont mean its being used. Higher rates of sodium can delay the uptake of other nutrients, esp things like calcium, magnesium, manganese potassium, you appear to suffering from all of these cation problems. This would be pointing me at environmental. may be you been getting hot temps, so hot your O2 is dropping out, so causing a burst of bacteria, spiking pH upwards and fixing your cations?
ph is a consequence of something else. it is not a root problem. Root problems, eg soil profile collapse, causes ph fluctation, not the other way round. So may be stop over loading the plant with nutrients period. You may have tipped the CEC balance with all that perlite so locking out nutrients like Potassium, Calcium etc. You may have added too much P and this may have bound with your calcium inputs under the strain of rising pH, itself a consequence of cation overload, a lack of oxygen etc. you may be losing Fe, it may be your media ph it could be your plant pH?

Dont be coy or too macho to admit you made an error, we all make mistakes, we can however help you better if you are open about your habits and possible gardening faux pars.

New plants contrary to popular myth need far less soil moisture then a plant in bloom. I run my little ones around 30-40% in the root zone, while the canopy or above ground RH% i do keep higher, in keeping with delicate leaves an shoots where my blooms at >60% soil moisture and drier air %. Plants that are over watered at early stages, often have a less well developed flavor profile. it is certainly true that growers of tomatoes deliberately keep young plants searching or water and food in order to boost the end product quality, the same principle applies to Cannabis.

i sense you have over watered this, over fed it, may be the soil has been allowed to get too hot or cold and you have reached for a bottle to fix an environmental matter. Soils like the one you are using typically have enough food for 4 weeks growth and plants with small roots, really cant handle lots of food, esp P.
P is unstable and seeks out other elements with which to bind. I would chuck it and start again without nutrients and or perlite. Your soil has been blended by the maker, you are adding things without understanding how this affects the soil current and so what this does to elements being held in it or not.
Leave the perlite out, buy some nematodes to treat your gnats. Stop over watering

Ecompost

Ecompost

perlite has and can contain high rates of both Sodium and Aluminum and it is typically about pH 7-7.5. You should avoid using nutrients with a humic base to reduce the risk of increased Al uptake. The sodium and humic may well dissipate your iron and many other micros leading to defs. I would skip it man and learn how to water based on your plants needs not how often you want

TYPICAL ELEMENTAL ANALYSIS*

Silicone: 33.8
Aluminum: 7.2
Potassium: 3.5
Sodium: 3.4
Iron: 0.6
Calcium: 0.6
Magnesium: 0.2
Traces: 0.2
Oxygen (by Difference): 47.5
Net Total

Bound Water 3.0
Total %

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

Thank-you for the responses I appreciate the help and looking further into it. In regards to feeding too much I haven't fed it anything besides water (102ppm) and when I did feed it the one time it was a 1/4 dose of Bio Thrive and abit of cal mag. In regards to the misting comment I made. Essentially I've been watering the plant with a spray bottle. I spray the soil until it's damp and when it's really dry I lightly water until a little bit of run off no where near the amount of run off I would normally for a veggin plant. And the damage is starting to spread onto the next leaf above. New growth is fine but older growth is slowly showing the damage.

Bannacis

Bannacis

pour out the perlite, don't need it. Let the medium dry out... then do a flush with ph'ed water,
run enough through to get a lot of run off. if there's nute build up, this will reduce it.

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

I got rid of the perlite which I think may have been causing the stress on the plant and transplanted into bigger containers. I'm going to continue just feeding ph'd water. My question is my soil mix I added dolomite lime to it among other things so I would figure that the dolomite lime would balance out any ph problems would it not? I thought organics you didn't need to worry about ph.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Dolomite lime is CaMgCO3. So it's going to buffer pH up, towards 8 if there isn't something like lots of peat to react with the CO3 molecules and balance it out. I don't use it myself.

I have tried not to contradict certain organic gurus, but yes, you still need to worry about pH.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
GYPSUM

Did I say that loud enough, lol. Where is SlowN? He is the gypsum king.

HUGE MYTH: organics doesn't require PH'ing. If you are doing organics right, nutrient balance and availability gives way to proper microbial life, and proper ph. However, if your not doing everything right, (which is everybody) then nutrient imbalance will cause a change in the micro life which will change your ph. Water quality vastly effects this as well.

Bannacis

Bannacis

TLO...True living organics. with the proper soil mix and with proper feeding of the microbes.
And not using too much liquid nutes. no funky chem sprays. plus a consistent water source. RO water!!! with proper cal/mg.
You should not have to ph your water, nor should you need to flush. that's indoor or outdoor.
Check out the REV's new TLO book." True Living Organics: The Ultimate Guide to Growing All-Natural Marijuana Indoors" REV 2
... new and improved over rev 1....REV2 out soon.

Top Bottom