Help!! Electricity/outlet questions

• Thread starter dankbank
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

dankbank

ok so i noticed that most ballasts and lights dont have the same outlet/plug in ends as the normal plug it outlets. I am new to this and want to grow indoor but all i have in the room is a normal outlet with the two slits and one hole. Can i still hook up my lights to this outlet?

reloader

reloader

That is your ground plug, and you need it for saftey. Ballast run more elec then your normal electrical device, and need the 3rd prong. 2 slits and ground hole should be fine to run your ballast.

D

dankbank

That is your ground plug, and you need it for saftey. Ballast run more elec then your normal electrical device, and need the 3rd prong. 2 slits and ground hole should be fine to run your ballast.

i was going to run a surge protector to plug in two sets of lights from the one outlet, will i be able to this? i mean there is no risk of short ciruiting and burning down the house lol

Papa

Papa

Supporter
i was going to run a surge protector to plug in two sets of lights from the one outlet, will i be able to this? i mean there is no risk of short ciruiting and burning down the house? lol

the first question is: what's the wattage of the lights you wanna run?

second question is: what amperage is the breaker on the circuit that your receptacle is on?

and, the third question is: what other loads are on this circuit?

D

dankbank

the first question is: what's the wattage of the lights you wanna run?

second question is: what amperage is the breaker on the circuit that your receptacle is on?

and, the third question is: what other loads are on this circuit?

i wanna run two 600wt lights and maybe a filter if needed or fan if needed.

im not sure on the next two and have no clue how to figure them out

Papa

Papa

Supporter
you gotta find your fuse or breaker panel. identify which fuse or breaker controls the circuit that you wanna use. it'll likely be a 15 or 20 amp. then, by turning that circuit on and off at the panel, identify what receptacles (and/or anything else) is also on that circuit.

if none of this makes any sense, go to home depot and buy an illustrated book on residential electrical. there's a good one by black & decker that will help you to understand.

Papa

D

dankbank

you gotta find your fuse or breaker panel. identify which fuse or breaker controls the circuit that you wanna use. it'll likely be a 15 or 20 amp. then, by turning that circuit on and off at the panel, identify what receptacles (and/or anything else) is also on that circuit.

if none of this makes any sense, go to home depot and buy an illustrated book on residential electrical. there's a good one by black & decker that will help you to understand.

Papa

thank you, i will check it out and see

BakedReality

BakedReality

Bean Poppin..
Supporter
ok so i noticed that most ballasts and lights dont have the same outlet/plug in ends as the normal plug it outlets. I am new to this and want to grow indoor but all i have in the room is a normal outlet with the two slits and one hole. Can i still hook up my lights to this outlet?

Do you know if your ballast/power cord is for 120v or 240v?

If the plug does not match the outlet on the wall...you might have a 240 power cord....when an outlet is 120v

D

dankbank

Do you know if your ballast/power cord is for 120v or 240v?

If the plug does not match the outlet on the wall...you might have a 240 power cord....when an outlet is 120v

and if it is a 240v outlet how would i go about resolving that problem

U

Underground

and if it is a 240v outlet how would i go about resolving that problem

Either run a new dedicated 240v circuit, find one nearby or use your lights at 120v if you have the power available.

BakedReality

BakedReality

Bean Poppin..
Supporter
what kind of ballast are you using? Most ballasts now days have the option of 120v or 240v....simply changed by purchasing the cord of choice for power options......some grow shops are great for customer service...try going back to where you purchased them and ask to exchange for 120v cord if thats what you choose to run.

240v is more effecient for lighting but not as easily ready for most without calling for underground electricians

Latest posts

Top Bottom