Help..first time organic grow.

• Thread starter snokyjoe
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

snokyjoe

Hi, i wonder if any of you could help me with my first grow.. bruce banner 3 in organic soil.
Everything was going great until i hit flower and because i dont really know what the problem is exactly im stuck, and things just seem to be getting worse.
Not really helping myself guessing whats wrong and tryna fix it so im hoping a few of you peeps would help a noob out?
Im using a hlg qb maxing at 280w in organic soil with amendments from dr forest i will list the ingredients below.
4-4-4 Fertiliser contains Irish Black Soldier Fly Frass, Scottish Seaweed, Tunisian Rock Phosphate, Organic 5-4-3 Fertiliser (high in organic matter), Sulphate of Potash, Diastatic Malted Barley, Fermented Bio-Char, Organic Humic & Fulvic Acid, Peruvian Seabird Guano, Dried Worm Castings & Yorkshire Polyhalite.

Dr Forest’s Organic Bloom 2-8-4 Fertiliser contains Calcined Rock Phosphate, Scottish Seaweed, Dr Forest's All-Purpose 5-4-3 Fertiliser (high in organic matter), Sulphate of Potash, Diastatic Malted Barley, Fermented Bio-Char, Organic Humic & Fulvic Acid, Dried Worm Castings & Yorkshire Polyhalite.
I top dressed when i switched to 12 12 and again a few days ago thinking i was getting depleted of amendments.. i have give them cal mag in a soil drench a couple of times also.. i wasnt PHing my water which is 7.2 out of the tap its rested in a container for days before using without any problems.. i have dropped it to 6.5 last 2 waterings which seems to have made things worse,, i was worried about nutrient lockout.
Feeding ac teas weekly along with plain water and seaweed. Coconut water aloe vera and nettle fertilizer occasionally.
Heres some pics.. hope somebody can help a brother out ill be gutted if i mess it up now, cheers.

Helpfirst time organic grow
Helpfirst time organic grow 2
Helpfirst time organic grow 3
Helpfirst time organic grow 4
Helpfirst time organic grow 5
Helpfirst time organic grow 6
Helpfirst time organic grow 7
Helpfirst time organic grow 8
Helpfirst time organic grow 9
Helpfirst time organic grow 10
Itscheese94

Itscheese94

i dont think you mess up when they look that good you could water only to the end they would be fine tho this will reduce yeild i would keep doing what ur doing

S

snokyjoe

Cheers for the help guys ill post some more pics.. the light recommendations are 18 to 20 inches from canopy mine are 18 and im kinda running out of room.
As for calmag i have only introduced it twice the whole grow.. kinda hoped the ingredients in the soil would be enough.. really appreciate the help im gonna try turning dow the light to 260 see if it helps.
The plant on the left seems to be the worse culprit but also the best pheno... hard to get side pics in a scrog but heres a few, again i appreciate the help.

IMG20230520220453
IMG20230520220547
IMG20230520220609
IMG20230520220620
IMG20230520220933
IMG20230520220950
IMG20230520220958
S

snokyjoe

Can you do a surry to check soil ph, it should be between 6-7. If ph is good then i would try more cal mag or epsom salts. The plants need tons of mag under the QBs
Havent got the equipment unfortunately, i bought a cheap tester and it isnt worth a toss for ph i just used it to get an idea of a watering schedule.. is it ok to do a weekly soil drench with calmag till flower? they are 4 wks old today? Thanks for the reply.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

There seems to be some light stress, so reducing the light intensity might help. Some magnesium (1 tbsp Epsom Salt per gallon of water) might slow the chlorosis and necrosis. The damaged leaves won't recover, but the crop is likely to finish okay.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

I'd suggest Magnesium deficient. Giving the plant Epsom salts 1/2 TSP pr gallon of water. This will help the plants but it's not going to fix the damage to the leaves. You can get PH test strips on ebay pretty cheep.

Feeding them.
Mix the Magnesium water, add only the 2-8-4 and water twice a week for the rest of the grow.
Let them finish up.

They are going to get pretty ugly as this is a very low nitrogen blooming mix. Let them do there thing.

Last edited:
S

snokyjoe

I raised the light the last 4 inches i had left and turned them down to 260, ill grab some epsom salts and water it in once a week and keep my fingers crossed.. knew i should have done a grow journal.. ah well maybe next time. Cheers for all the help guys.

Last edited:
S

snokyjoe

Good idea.

Once you see new growth that isn't showing damage, you can slowly raise light intensity again ... but probably 240-260w is better in your space. HLG makes a very good board and its not uncommon to have to turn them down.

I'd suggest Magnesium deficient. Giving the plant Epsom salts 1/2 TSP pr gallon of water. This will help the plants but it's not going to fix the damage to the leaves. You can get PH test strips on ebay pretty cheep.

Feeding them.
Mix the Magnesium water, add only the 2-8-4 and water twice a week for the rest of the grow.
Let them finish up.

They are going to get pretty ugly as this is a very low nitrogen blooming mix. Let them do there thing.
My bad,, its actually 2 8 10 bloom im using.. Im now watering every 3 days since i lollipopped them, before that it was every 2 days.. im sure i have over watered and underwatered them during the grow.. im just watching the leaves for reference now as sticking my finger in the pot didnt seem to be the one personally.. im using 5 gallon pots watering to minimum run off.. the pots suck up the excess anyway.. what im saying is just because the top inch is dry doesnt mean the middle or bottom of the pot is as well? Its a learning curve and im getting a feel now for when they need watering or not, cheers mate much appreciated. I thought you didnt need a lot of nitrogen during flower or am i incorrect?

Last edited:
S

snokyjoe

You sound like you're on the right track though. There is a learning curve. You can't get around it but you can shorten it with good instruction.
Well its a "stealth" grow because im in the uk, so hard to get real time info or 2nd opinions without letting the cat outa the bag so to speak.
I spent an age researching before i ventured into it so thank the lord for this forum and like minded ppl like yourself, if i manage to get through flower and have something worthwhile to show, ill post the results.
Again thanks for the advice much appreciated.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Once they are finished stretching and in flower the plants are no longer growing. They still require some nitrogen but not nearly as much as while in veg.
Before going real living soil outdoors. I Veged with 12-6-6 and flowered with 5-15-5, that's why I suggested feeding 2-8-4 twice a week. You want to keep the middle number high and the extra nitrogen from the 2nd feeding each week would help keep things a little greener. The Magnesium water would help with the plants magnesium needs.

These plant's will green up some with the extra nitrogen of a light feed twice a week and the Magnesium solution will also green them as it's required for photosynthesis.

Latest posts

Top Bottom