Help..I have a plant throwing three fans & laterals per node..?

• Thread starter Josey_Wales
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Josey_Wales

I wasn't sure where to post this thread..? I think most of the breeders hang here and perhaps a breeder is who can best explain what's happened, so I'm hoping it's alright to ask about this anomaly in the lab.

Anyhow, I ordered a pack of 5 Feminized "GOD Bud" beans and of the five...four popped. They're all rooted and doing their thing. At current they are between 8"-9" tall and very healthy. One of these plants has me excited and confused at the same time..!

She's throwing triples at every node on the main trunk. It started with the opening false leaves...there were three of them where normally there are two. The first set of true leaves followed suit with three leaves...equally spaced around the stem at the exact same node.

This pattern has continued all the way up the main trunk of the plant. Three fan leaves pop out at each node, equally spaced as if the plant were divided into thirds. I have noticed that the lateral branches coming off the main trunk just above the fan leaves do not seem to share this same anomaly. There are three lateral branches coming off the trunk at each node, but the bracts or nodes on the laterals are only producing the normal two leaves at each of their nodes.

If anyone out there has seen or even heard of this anomaly before and can shed some light I would be most interested to learn what is going on...How something like this happens..? How rare is this..? What if any are the benefits or drawbacks..? etc.

Thank you.
Sincerely,
Hawke

B

British_Hempire

What you have there is a trifoliate, they pop up fairly often, nothing to worry about. Most of the ones I've seen turned out to be males. If it's a female, it will yield a bit better due to having more branching.

T

tenacious

Supporter
i love trifoliate females even though it is considerered a mutation i always find higher yield and much more potent
agreed
& i also like when the main stalk flatenes-out into a rectangular stalk which grows ohh so fast. i belive this usually happens as a result of a mutation [sport]. this condition may be induced chemicaly w/ colchicine. i do not have experience w/ making mutents, i've only found them occuring naturally.................

J

Josey_Wales

Thanks Folks,
I really appreciate the information. It's been amazing watching her grow. Is it a genetic trait that can be passed on or encouraged to occur more often..? What I'm getting at is, can I breed for this trait by selfing her or by using some other breeding practice..? Seems that increased yield is always a good thing and if this mutation also provides increased potency...well that's a no brainer..!

Sincerely,
Hawke

J

Josey_Wales

Rats...was hoping to make little trifoliate babies. So...if I top her and clone the top...I will most likely lose the trifoliate mutation in the mother as the split tops will likely not continue the trifoliate mutation. However if a trifoliate is truly higher in potency...then the mother should, in theory, still show that potency as the THC and CBD content is genetic...yes or no..? The rooted top should also carry that higher potency and should continue to grow trifoliate...giving me a second plant.

Has anyone actually tested the THC and/or CBD content in their trifoliate girls to verify that they actually are higher in potency...or is this maybe a myth...or wishful thinking..?

Forgive me if this is growing tiring. As always I'm trying to beat the system..! lol
Hawke

B

British_Hempire

rips is right, it usually doesn't pass on to the progeny.

J

Josey_Wales

Well,
I do appreciate everyone's comments. I think I will just grow her out and enjoy her sticky goodness. Kinda hoping she stays trifoliate through flower.

Thanks everyone,
Hawke

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

Well, there is a guy on ICMag that had been working with trifoliates and quads for a couple of years. He has been selectivly breeding them trying to breed the trait into his plants. He's had quite a bit of success so far. So I think that over time and selective breeding you can bread a trait into a plant or out of a plant. The palnt would have to carry the trait in it's genetics but by choosing plants for that trifoliate quality and choosing both male and female trifoliates as parents he is successfully producing trifoliate seeds. on a regular basis

BC_Bud

BC_Bud

Premium Member
Supporter
Out of the last batch of seed I germed, found one Cali Connection Chemdog D x OG SFV and a local Brazilian plant both showing trifoliates. Both plants seem to have "auto-topped" right from the start, the Chem x OG having 3 main branches and the Brazilian having two, and the Brazilian has one branch with trifoliates and the other with regular leaves, and this still holds true already on the 6th or 7th node. Depending on their gender, I may cross them out!

BC

Taine000

Taine000

This is so interesting hey,, something very similar happened to me this year...

I cracked a couple of old seeds a few weeks ago, having no idea what they were other than they are around 10-12 years old (have been stored correctly) and came from an outdoor sativa. One germinated nicely and put out a strong looking tap root, so I quickly put it into a cup with coco/perlite mix, to start it’s journey. It took around a week to notice the first bit of green breaking through the surface and within about a day or so, I noticed that this little girl was different than the others...lol
Each consecutive node, she has produced four new leaves, perfectly symmetrical in a cross. The first two nodes have started shooting out four small branches now and I’m wondering if the whole plant will just continue to grow to full maturity following this unusual pattern... that’s hoping that this little girl doesn’t grow little balls.. 😬

(She did develop a slight iron deficiency following transplant into her forever home, you can probably notice it in the new growth... but since a flush and some reduced nutes, including Cal-Mag, she’s starting to get her colour back. I think the seeds’ age and the fact that genetics back then were still miles behind, she’s not going to be as resilient to a whole bunch of things as the strains we’re spoilt with nowadays!)

Let me know if anyone’s seen this before and what happened.
I’ve attached a few pics below of her progress so far...

EDFD0B09 99FA 40C4 ABD0 E196CD2D0DC9
10C0DD71 E1A4 499F B130 6DE621E6DBAF
D7642E86 E983 4AE5 A688 8900432421B3
E8CA12F9 2563 472A 98BD 12FA8CD53537
1428088E 6CAC 416A A988 908E76CF8E47
1873DF44 114D 4341 8C88 04F06A35C1DB
FC4221A0 5582 447A 8AB3 EFD59BDC2D59
Top Bottom