Help I need to cool my grow tent

• Thread starter weedman6363
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
So I need to cool my grow tent it’s outside so I get outside temps and I’m in Norway so it’s cool anyway I can’t open my vents at bottom of tent because light spillage out of it anyway it’s a 80x80x160 and I’ve got a 600w hps inside and I’ve got ballast inside and all that
Any ideas ?
Hi, If those messurements are metric then you have a 600W HPS light & ballast inside a 31"sq tent 62"tall? and you want to keep it cool without expensive equipment? I think you're dreaming, that light puts out far too much heat to be contained in that small enclosed environment. That's where LED ,T5 florescent or other low heat lights are needed, then intake and exhaust fans will work. Otherwise you're fighting a losing battle with heat and humidity.IMHO.

W

weedman6363

Hi, If those messurements are metric then you have a 600W HPS light & ballast inside a 31"sq tent 62"tall? and you want to keep it cool without expensive equipment? I think you're dreaming, that light puts out far too much heat to be contained in that small enclosed environment. That's where LED ,T5 florescent or other low heat lights are needed, then intake and exhaust fans will work. Otherwise you're fighting a losing battle with heat and humidity.IMHO.
It’s in cm

BigCube

BigCube

I use led so I dont have issues with heat, but what I do for air flow is use the 2 bottom Foreskin sock things. I put 4 inch ducting in them with bug netting over the ends..

The Ducting bends and curves naturally and doesn't allow any light to escape.

Increasing airflow will help a bit, but probably wont get you there. Tents are small and 600w hids are hot. Your best bet would be to run a venting setup that passes over your bulb in a glass tube.

There are kits you can buy and stuff. But honestly, you'd probably be better off with LED.

W

weedman6363

Led aren’t as near as good for getting dense buds and tbh I need at least 10 degrees of the heat to stay from the hps otherwise I would be getting temps around 16 celcuis

BigCube

BigCube

Led aren’t as near as good for getting dense buds and tbh I need at least 10 degrees of the heat to stay from the hps otherwise I would be getting temps around 16 celcuis

Not true. Shitty LEDs sure. But the one I use does better than any hps or mh hid I've ever used. It takes less than half the power and cost less than half the price. On top of all that, it doesn't heat my tent up.

LEDs have surpassed hid. Cobs saw to that.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Not true. Shitty LEDs sure. But the one I use does better than any hps or mh hid I've ever used. It takes less than half the power and cost less than half the price. On top of all that, it doesn't heat my tent up.

LEDs have surpassed hid. Cobs saw to that.
I think that's the trick of it all, when you're talking about an enclosed environment. I use a 1000 watt hps in an open air 5x5 square room curtained off to prevent light leakage from my curtained off 5x4 sq veg room where I use t-5's and t-8's. Most of the year I vent the heat from the flower room into my veg room because there's not enough heat keeping my plants warm with the low heat florescent lights in my basement. We only have a month or two here where the heat I get from the HPS is a problem. I'd like to switch to LED's to save on electrical costs but I'd have to heat my rooms so there'd be no savings.

If you can drop the balast to a 60% or70% setting you can drop the heat a few degrees. Mine is at 70% now to keep me down just below 85 F with duel ocelating fans running 24/7 with one cool air intake and one exhaust right off the light its self

Top Bottom