help i think something is wrong or am i just overthinking?

• Thread starter egz91
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
egz91

egz91

Here are some pics of my grow set up, can someone help me figure out what is wrong?

Help i think something is wrong or am i just overthinking
Help i think something is wrong or am i just overthinking 2
Help i think something is wrong or am i just overthinking 3
Help i think something is wrong or am i just overthinking 4
Help i think something is wrong or am i just overthinking 5
Help i think something is wrong or am i just overthinking 6
Help i think something is wrong or am i just overthinking 7
Help i think something is wrong or am i just overthinking 8
Help i think something is wrong or am i just overthinking 9
Help i think something is wrong or am i just overthinking 10
Help i think something is wrong or am i just overthinking 11
Help i think something is wrong or am i just overthinking 12
Help i think something is wrong or am i just overthinking 13
Help i think something is wrong or am i just overthinking 14
Help i think something is wrong or am i just overthinking 15
Help i think something is wrong or am i just overthinking 16
Help i think something is wrong or am i just overthinking 17
Help i think something is wrong or am i just overthinking 18
Help i think something is wrong or am i just overthinking 19
Help i think something is wrong or am i just overthinking 20
az2000

az2000

In the second photo, I think I see an irregular water pattern (on the surface of the medium). How do you water? (How often? Do you pour enough to get runoff?).

I've never grown in coco. But, in soil (or soilless peat) it should be drenched with enough volume for some runoff (10% of the volume you pour in). This protects against dry pockets. The runoff also reduces salt buildup. Then let the soil become very dry. In heavy soil (which you're not) that can take a few days. Often people will treat cannabis like a houseplant, giving it sips of water every day, pouring a little around the stalk. If you're doing that, you could have dry regions in the soil. And, other regions (parts of the roots) can stay too wet all the time).

egz91

egz91

i am watering every 3 or 4 days but maybe i should wait more time between each watering? until the soil it's very very very dry?

az2000

az2000

i am watering every 3 or 4 days but maybe i should wait more time between each watering? until the soil it's very very very dry?

Hopefully someone who has grown in coco can guide you on that. 3-4 days sounds good to me. (Are you in just coco by itself?).

Do you use enough water to get runoff? What was I seeing in the 2nd photo, which looked like it had been watered lightly around the stalk? (not completely saturated?).

egz91

egz91

i planted seeds directly in the biggest pot to keep everything as simple as possible but now i think i should have put them in a smaller one to trnsplant afterwards......is it ok to water till run off also if plant roots and plant itself did not take over the entire pot?

egz91

egz91

because in the bigger pots i don't water till run off because plants are still small...maybe the pattern you saw was just made by water drying out...

az2000

az2000

i planted seeds directly in the biggest pot to keep everything as simple as possible but now i think i should have put them in a smaller one to trnsplant afterwards......is it ok to water till run off also if plant roots and plant itself did not take over the entire pot?

I agree, that can be tricky during the first week. It's a delicate balance between keeping it too wet, but also providing a hospitable medium for the roots to grow into. The roots can travel far, quickly. By now (that size plants) you should be fully watering (from the edge inward. Make sure it's uniformly wet.).

egz91

egz91

so you think i should water entirly by now? do you think distance from lamp is ok or should i move it farther away? in a few days a led grow light will arrive it's an amazon one roleadro brand it's only a support lamp!!! sorry for all the questions i'm making but i'm doing this all by myself and sometimes a different opinion is appreciated!!!

BigCube

BigCube

You can't over water coco. Once the water runs through the coco it pulls air in behind it.

Water with about %20 runoff. Once it runs there is %30 oxygen in the medium.
So unless you plug all the drains in your pot and fill it up with standing water, you actually can't over water.

This is for primarily coco mixes only. If it has a lot of Pete or other shit in it, it will not act the same.

If you're in at least 70% coco. You can water 5 times a day and not worry.
I water every 2 days in veg and every day in flower. Works for me.

egz91

egz91

from the photos do you see anything wrong with plants...the leaf don't face upwards beacuse lights where off!!! but maybe i'm doing something wrong!!!

egz91

egz91

that is not entirly coco it is a blend of different stuff with some coco coir in it!!!

az2000

az2000

so you think i should water entirly by now? do you think distance from lamp is ok or should i move it farther away? in a few days a led grow light will arrive it's an amazon one roleadro brand it's only a support lamp!!! sorry for all the questions i'm making but i'm doing this all by myself and sometimes a different opinion is appreciated!!!

Yes, I would completely water them (enough for 10% runoff), and then let them dry until the containers feel very light to lift (but not so dry that the leaves wilt. I that happens, they'll bounce back 20 minutes after watering. It's not terribly bad to do that once just so you can feel what "too dry" feels like lifting the container. Then try to get within a few hours of that.). Just because the plants (above ground) are still compact, the roots are filling the container. Some roots are likely experiencing drought conditions if you're just watering the inner part of the container, around the stalk.

I don't know about the light distance. The plants don't look like they're stretching for light. So, I'd leave it alone.

the rrock

the rrock

yeah your overthinking it,Have you ever grown anything before?Looks like you got a pretty simple setup the plants should basically grow themselves(just add water and some ferts.)Common sense rules in gardening and alot of replies you will get take with a grain of salt(bad info)

MiHomeGrown

MiHomeGrown

to me plants seem a little unhealthy!!! that's all!!!
Worrying about every little thing will drive you crazy. That medium looks way too dry for coco. I would research the brand you have and see if it’s supposed to be treated like soil or a hydroponic. Also, aeration via perlite mixed in the medium will help draining. Coco by default holds about 22% air when it’s fully saturated, so water those plants. And don’t let the coco get dry. Get yourself a ph pen and a TDS pen. These will be extremely useful to avoid problems down the road. Trust me I’ve learned the hard way.

Ph your water with nutrients to about 6 and always water to at least 20% runoff.
And make sure you’re using Cal-Mag!!

What nutrients are you using? Remember less...way less is more with nutes.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
With plastic pots it's better to start in a small pot and transplant up a few gallons at a time rather than starting a seed or clone in its final container.

Planting directly into a final pot if its fabric works because the root structure develops entirely differently in fabric compared to plastic. Plastic pots you will end up with most of the roots swirling around the bottom and outside of the container where air pruned roots in a fabric pot develop a lot more root mass and wont become rootbound as easily.

But yeah I'd water them more. I get the impression people are generally too afraid of overwatering these days. If part of the media isnt wet, the roots have no reason to explore and occupy it. Ideally what I do is water around the edge of the pot when the plants are young, not the plant directly. The roots will sense there is water and grow out to get it, and the plant will get bigger. When the plant really takes off I would drench the whole thing thoroughly. Basically put the water where you want the roots to grow, not where the roots are now. If that makes sense.?

egz91

egz91

Worrying about every little thing will drive you crazy. That medium looks way too dry for coco. I would research the brand you have and see if it’s supposed to be treated like soil or a hydroponic. Also, aeration via perlite mixed in the medium will help draining. Coco by default holds about 22% air when it’s fully saturated, so water those plants. And don’t let the coco get dry. Get yourself a ph pen and a TDS pen. These will be extremely useful to avoid problems down the road. Trust me I’ve learned the hard way.

Ph your water with nutrients to about 6 and always water to at least 20% runoff.
And make sure you’re using Cal-Mag!!

What nutrients are you using? Remember less...way less is more with nutes.
Someone tells me it is like coco someone tell me it is not...i'm going crazy guys....helppp please!!! here it is btw:

Top Bottom