Help identify a pest please

• Thread starter dabarino
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

dabarino

So I’ll try to give all the details right now.

About 3 days ago I left my pump on over night accidentally and sorta flooded my tent. Next morning I drained 95% of the water out thinking the heat would evaporate the rest soon. By the next day it hadn’t gone away and I noticed what looked like either pollen of dust floating around in the tiny bit of remaining water. Upon closer inspection it turned out to be 10’s of thousands of tiny insects jumping around and swarming together in clusters all throughout the 4x4 flood tray. The critters are whitish grey and they jump, lots of tiny legs and I don’t see any wings. There is no evidence of any insects on my plants or leaves or even in my root bound fabric pots filled with coco. I use a reservoir and drip feed 4 plants and feed the complete lined up of general organics.
Any help identifying them and helping to get rid of them would be great.

Also I have used diatomaceous earth on them with what appears to be good results.

Help identify a pest please
Help identify a pest please 2
Last edited:
D

dabarino

here’s the video I took this Last night after a lighter coat of diatomaceous earth then I coated the tray like the pic and this morning they seem to be gone

D919AAC6 B59A 4466 AA99 633A6DD5A478
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I'm not sure because I've never had them and they were a little hard to see in your pictures but Google 'springtails' and see if that looks close to what you have

Screenshot 20190503 154307 Google

Edit: I watched your vid a few more times and I don't see antennas, so I'm not sure

Last edited:
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

here’s the video I took this Last night after a lighter coat of diatomaceous earth then I coated the tray like the pic and this morning they seem to be gone
uh uh uh you got a hell of a mess to clean up,im going with knat larvae being coco,pic isnt really doing the job,put one under a loop magnification

D

dabarino

I'm not sure because I've never had them and they were a little hard to see in your pictures but Google 'springtails' and see if that looks close to what you have

View attachment 868808

Edit: I watched your vid a few more times and I don't see antennas, so I'm not sure
Did you watch the second video because there are a couple critters that have definite antennas..

D

dabarino

uh uh uh you got a hell of a mess to clean up,im going with knat larvae being coco,pic isnt really doing the job,put one under a loop magnification
Uhhh that is under a loop lmao did you look at the pics and watch the video... also that’s really not a bad mess to clean up a quick sesh with the shop vac and couple wet rags 10 mins later everything is sparkling again

D

dabarino

View attachment 868808

Thanks for the input after reading about springtails I’m 99% sure that’s what I got and they seem easy enough to deal with thanks again

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Thanks for the input after reading about springtails I’m 99% sure that’s what I got and they seem easy enough to deal with thanks again
Glad I could help, I thought it was springtails by the description you gave of how it came about but I really couldn't see the pictures, good luck

Top Bottom