Help! I've gone anerobic!

• Thread starter pinkus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

pinkus

Actually, part of my brick of coir has gone anaerobic. This only my second brick of coir and the first on i used quickly so it didn't have a chance. Anyway, i use 1 and a half gallon dollar store garbage cans for my grow. I figured I wouldn't drill holes in one and I'd use it as a coir bin, so I put a gallon of water in the bucket and drop the coir in, it expands and I use some off the top. I just leave in the bucket and move it into the closet next to my other stuff, I pull it out today and put mt hand in it to mix it up, but it turns out the coir brick has expanded and corked it tight as a bottle of wine. I manage to rip out a chunk that exposes the trapped water and coir and I get a blast of some of the foulest smelling rot I've experienced as a gardener.

so the question is, what should I do with the coir? do i need to microwave it to get rid of the bad anerobic bacteria?

thanks in advance ya'll. :smiley_joint:

R

rottenjohn

Throw it in a compost bin and use it outside after it breaks down in the garden, buy another brick and forget about the lost stuff.

P

pinkus

thanks man. any other thoughts to salvage this stuff? i could bake it in the over to sterilize it too, verdad?

R

Rural_GrowOp

I think sometimes you got to cut your losses. Let it go and get some new stuff.

P

pinkus

I think sometimes you got to cut your losses. Let it go and get some new stuff.

too true~i'll still fish for suggestions...just seems coir is so close to inert it'd be possible.

+rep for the twoa ya :smiley_joint:

sour power

sour power

if i was you i would buy a new batch.the last thing you want is to use it and it f...ks up your grow.peace!

Top Bottom