help! leaf margin downward curl...

• Thread starter E.T.
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

E.T.

plants are about 5 wks into flip. was out of town for just over a week. when i returned, i noticed that some of the leaves on my plants are showing this 'downward curl' on the sides of the leaves. did these ladies get overfed? my wife was taking care of them for the last week or so.....left a schedule, but maybe it was lost in translation. being fed earth juice bloom and catalyst with calmag every other time. water and hygrozyme to alternate. haven't seen this before....
Help  leaf margin downward curl

Help  leaf margin downward curl 2

Help  leaf margin downward curl 3

Melvan

Melvan

Looks to me like she may have skipped a watering and they are recovering from the wilting.

It's also possible it's the first sign of Mg deficiency, if they start turning yellow/brown along the edge too you'll know for sure.

Green mojo for their recovery. What strains are you growing?

E

E.T.

2 og18, super lemon haze, and alien og. never seen this 'edge curling' before. plants were never wilted....

Melvan

Melvan

I currently run Skunk OG18 all the time, and she does that to me, just the way she grows, and just a leaf here and there. When I started running her a couple of years back I thought she was having issues, she wasn't. She stays nice and green, always gives me a fat harvest. Is this the first run of her because it may be the same trait in my pheno rearing its head in yours. She's in the grow diary in my sig.

E

E.T.

Yeah, 1st time seed run of the og18 and alien og. Will flush and keep a close eye on em...almost time to start their final flush, anyway. Thanks for the 411

S

Smokejumper

I too am having a problem with downward leaf curl. It is most
pronounced in the top sets of leaves. These are Joey Weed Blueberry
grown in soil from clones. These were vegged under a T-5 fleuro
and were placed under a 600 HPS in a 4x4 Homebox two weeks ago. The curling is really severe. I'm using Cal-Mag, Liquid Karma, Sensizyme,
and Pure Blend soil Bloom. pH is 6.8 and PPM at 650. Temps 78-82 with
lights on, 65-75 at night. Leaves are dark green and glossy, they look great
except for the curl. Any ideas or suggestions on this? Thanks in advance.

SJ

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Looks to me like she may have skipped a watering and they are recovering from the wilting.

It's also possible it's the first sign of Mg deficiency, if they start turning yellow/brown along the edge too you'll know for sure.

Green mojo for their recovery. What strains are you growing?
Mg tends to turn upward, not downward (praying for magnesium?). I'd be looking at VPD numbers on this. Also, necrotic leaf edges on older leaves are an indicator for Ca uptake problems, IME. Interveinal chlorosis of older leaves, sometimes along with upturned leaf margins, is the tell for Mg deficiency.

To me they appear to be either too hot and/or overfed. I'd also be curious to see how the media would test out (EC + pH numbers). I perform such a diagnostic test in the following manner:
You'll need clean, filtered (or distilled) water of known parameters, you'll absolutely want to know EC and pH before you begin the test.
Then take a small portion of the growing media (you may want to pull the plant out of the pot and get a sample from all layers of media, not just the top) and add enough water to allow it to be swished around, in other words you want it very, very wet.
Let set for 5-10mins.
Strain off and test.

What's your growing media? What's the pH of the feed going in, along with EC (if you use ppm please give conversion factor used)? I never use run-off pH as an indicator, I personally have yet to alleviate an issue doing things that way, only the method I outlined above.
Now, depending on where those numbers land you may or may not have found the problem. If your wife was overfeeding then you know that your girls are going to need a bit of a flush, or at the very least get water only until they straighten out. If the numbers are where you like and want them, then you will need to take another approach.

S

Smokejumper

Sorry to jack your thread. I'll start my own on the subject.

SJ

hiboy

hiboy

To get back to basics i would flush with a neutral solution and water with a wand, adding a little bloom fertilizer half strength . Excellent fresh air intake and 75 temps would be suggested.

E

E.T.

smoke don't worry about a thread jack....we're all here to learn what's up.
thanks guys for all the input. my ph meter is broken, so i'll pick one up today. i think it may be lockout from ph that's off. never seen this kind of curl before. my temp are 60 @ night and up to 80 during the day. plenty of air flow, but not too much...
i'm using 'tall boy's' for my water filtration and when i get home tonight i'll get a baseline reading and move forward from there....not sure of ppm or ec....
bloom
1 tblsp earth juice bloom
1 tsp catalyst
1 tsp camag+
flush
1 tsp hygrozyme

E

E.T.

ok, here's what i know.....my super lemon has been yellowing big time, with a leaf curl that i didn't recognize. got a new ph/tds meter today and my readings are this:
my hydrologic water + hygrozyme comes in @ a ph of close to 8. fuck. so, i'm using humbolt's humic to bring it down to 6.4 with a ppm of around 100. fed my super lemon with this 'water' and the runoff came out @ 6.8 ph and a ppm of around 1500. what do you guys think....i'm 47 days into the flip, so my final flush is right around the corner...

E

E.T.

Mg tends to turn upward, not downward (praying for magnesium?). I'd be looking at VPD numbers on this. Also, necrotic leaf edges on older leaves are an indicator for Ca uptake problems, IME. Interveinal chlorosis of older leaves, sometimes along with upturned leaf margins, is the tell for Mg deficiency.

To me they appear to be either too hot and/or overfed. I'd also be curious to see how the media would test out (EC + pH numbers). I perform such a diagnostic test in the following manner:
You'll need clean, filtered (or distilled) water of known parameters, you'll absolutely want to know EC and pH before you begin the test.
Then take a small portion of the growing media (you may want to pull the plant out of the pot and get a sample from all layers of media, not just the top) and add enough water to allow it to be swished around, in other words you want it very, very wet.
Let set for 5-10mins.
Strain off and test.

What's your growing media? What's the pH of the feed going in, along with EC (if you use ppm please give conversion factor used)? I never use run-off pH as an indicator, I personally have yet to alleviate an issue doing things that way, only the method I outlined above.
Now, depending on where those numbers land you may or may not have found the problem. If your wife was overfeeding then you know that your girls are going to need a bit of a flush, or at the very least get water only until they straighten out. If the numbers are where you like and want them, then you will need to take another approach.

thanks for the info. i use ffof soil cut with perlite. tomorrow i will try your method for testing soil ph/ec.....

TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

I have a similar problem on a few strains i'm running. I have 6 strains going n 2 of them have this symptom.

I thought it was over feeding as they are all in the same beds and have the exact same conditions. So I figure they are light feeders n i was over feeding. Although it could b a combination of that and over watering as its winter here now and i like to water a lil heavier than norm in the mid flower weeks.

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

Your numbers ain makin sense to me in my experience the higger the tds the lower the ph. For example when I flood my coco 850-900 ppm ph6.0 goes in and if 1500 came out it would probably be more like a ph of 5.2 My runoff never even comes close to getting that high. If u put 100ppm in and 1500 ppm came out u are picking uo a ton ot shit on the way through. Must be way higer to kick it all the way up to 1500.

E

E.T.

Your numbers ain makin sense to me in my experience the higger the tds the lower the ph. For example when I flood my coco 850-900 ppm ph6.0 goes in and if 1500 came out it would probably be more like a ph of 5.2 My runoff never even comes close to getting that high. If u put 100ppm in and 1500 ppm came out u are picking uo a ton ot shit on the way through. Must be way higer to kick it all the way up to 1500.

yeah, it's the only one that stayed in the smaller pot. my first inclination was that the yellowing was due to lack of nitrogen, but the leaf curl threw me for a loop. she must have been hit with some super high fert levels.....i'm going to keep flushing her til i see some improvement....

hiboy

hiboy

Ya def. got some hi ph.That will make them put their brakes on. I've got my best crop going right now. Just too lazy to make a thread and pics. TLC is what i've improved on..step that up and you'll be seeing them shine. I've learned it's the small things that can really add up . Forget about that book dont sweat the small stuff.....:cash

RIVAL79

RIVAL79

Funk Master!
Supporter
I'm workin out the same shit. Some girls r on a diet. Lol. I feed heavy as fuk. I'm dropping down 2 900 ppm next feed. I'm giving the big girls a dose of clearex also. Hope that helps. We'll gte thru the small stuff bro. Don't trip.

Latest posts

Top Bottom