Help me correct newbie hash mistake and save 300g bubble

• Thread starter Saladays
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Saladays

Saladays

So back in the early days I was as we all are, inexperienced and blundering around the internet…

Times have change but I have a long-standing mistake sat in my fridge I need help with.

In short.

Back in the day washed a lot of material using;
250 work bag
70 collection bag
25 collection bag.

As a result the material was a bitch to press due to all the contaminants between 250 and 70.

Now have a jar with over 300g of dried material in its sandy format that I want to reseperate now I have updated my bag sets…..

Do I?;
Mix it with water and re run through the bags?

Run it through bags dry?

Freeze and then add to water?

Mix with alcohol and then run through the bags?

Am a bit lost and nervous to lose so much material if it goes wrong! Looking for some practical experience….

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

There are a few ways you can go with this.

First, if you mix it with alcohol (either ethanol or iso) then don't run it through the bags. Pour the (freezing cold) alcohol over the material and mix it using an immersion blender and just enough alcohol to dissolve the trichomes, then filter it through a coffee filter into an already frozen mason jar, let it winterize for a day, run it through another coffee filter and evap the alcohol off in a glass baking pan at around 115F with a fan drawing air over the top. It'll take a few days to get the alcohol out at those temps (which is important, especially if using iso), but it'll preserve the terps. The yield will go slightly down because you're losing the weight of the trichome membranes, but it will be incredibly pure. This will make more of a live resin than hash.

If you're set on making hash hash with it, add the trichomes to freezing cold water and then pour that through the bags. You'll definitely want something with a micron size between 120-175 to catch the contaminants that are in there. From there it's just making bubble hash as usual.

Last edited:
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
There are a few ways you can go with this.

First, if you mix it with alcohol (either ethanol or iso) then don't run it through the bags. Pour the (freezing cold) alcohol over the material and mix it using an immersion blender and just enough alcohol to dissolve the trichomes, then filter it through a coffee filter into an already frozen mason jar, let it winterize for a day, run it through another coffee filter and evap the alcohol off in a glass baking pan at around 115F with a fan drawing air over the top. It'll take a few days to get the alcohol out at those temps (which is important, especially if using iso), but it'll preserve the terps. The yield will go slightly down because you're losing the weight of the trichome membranes, but it will be incredibly pure. This will make more of a live resin than hash.

If you're set on making hash hash with it, add the trichomes to freezing cold water and then pour that through the bags. You'll definitely want something with a micron size between 120-175 to catch the contaminants that are in there. From there it's just making bubble hash as usual.
pretty much agree with @Kanzeon..
you have a set of bags to use? what sizes you got?

Saladays

Saladays

Thanks guys.
Went the hash route and used my bags.
Ended up agitating 100g in ice water and letting the trichs settle at the bottom.
Then skimmed off the plant matter which rises. Then ran through bags.
Only prob was when running t but ouch the bags was too much to put through at once. - imagine a sieve full of flour that then gets wet…
Meant that contaminants got stuck in the mass of trichs but reduced the overall dry weight by 15% so pleased to get rid o FB that shit at that stage!

Did the same method again once dried and got rid of another 10%

Presses much better now and happy with the outcome.

That said - would reduce quantities down to around 25g max and do more initial runs as bags able to cope better with the spray push through at that level.

Just my opinion obvs and thanks for reading.

Happy smoking

Latest posts

Top Bottom