Help Me Decide How To Heat My Greenhouse

• Thread starter JSmokes420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JSmokes420

JSmokes420

According to that it will take about 150gal a month of propane. Which is around $300 delivered

scoop

scoop

May take a second look, how hard is it to set to achieve a reasonable burn time 18hrs+

All you need is the wood to make it happen. (which, I know, is the drawback for most people) The stove has a "thermostat" that controls the damper/burn....and thus...the length of burn. Unlike most stoves...in full bore/burn with the catalytic burner engaged....there is no real flame to be seen.

FYI...this stove is 85 % efficient. Many of the stoves you've been around over the years are less than 50% efficient,....if that. Emissions are also crazy low.....

In my old (Buck) stove....no catalytic burner...just a smoke dragon/fire breather....I considered cottonwood "trash" wood. It would burn >hot< but fast. 3-4 hours on a load.

The same load of wood in this BK will burn for 12-15 hours...and it's a nice STEADY heat. No roller coaster shit! (reaching for the coat one minute...running naked the next)

For cost/payback..... stove is about 1800-2000.... piping another 500 depending on length of run/etc.

@ $200-300 a month for electric/propane costs...it will take me a couple of years to recoup but after that it will be my labor/time spent vs. continually writing that utility co check. (I need heat for 4-5 months a year here to keep the GH from freezing) Your payback will be different....but again....thought I'd toss it out there in case

Might not be what you want for the GH.....but I'm so fuggin impressed with these stoves I felt the need to comment in case it might be a viable option for you to consider.

be well......and warm......

JSmokes420

JSmokes420

All you need is the wood to make it happen. (which, I know, is the drawback for most people) The stove has a "thermostat" that controls the damper/burn....and thus...the length of burn. Unlike most stoves...in full bore/burn with the catalytic burner engaged....there is no real flame to be seen.

FYI...this stove is 85 % efficient. Many of the stoves you've been around over the years are less than 50% efficient,....if that. Emissions are also crazy low.....

In my old (Buck) stove....no catalytic burner...just a smoke dragon/fire breather....I considered cottonwood "trash" wood. It would burn >hot< but fast. 3-4 hours on a load.

The same load of wood in this BK will burn for 12-15 hours...and it's a nice STEADY heat. No roller coaster shit! (reaching for the coat one minute...running naked the next)

For cost/payback..... stove is about 1800-2000.... piping another 500 depending on length of run/etc.

@ $200-300 a month for electric/propane costs...it will take me a couple of years to recoup but after that it will be my labor/time spent vs. continually writing that utility co check. (I need heat for 4-5 months a year here to keep the GH from freezing) Your payback will be different....but again....thought I'd toss it out there in case

Might not be what you want for the GH.....but I'm so fuggin impressed with these stoves I felt the need to comment in case it might be a viable option for you to consider.

be well......and warm......

Definitely something to think about when funds allow

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

Mine runs off natural gas. Cost 50$ to run last month.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

radiant, i keep a 2500 sq ft shop at 60 degrees and uses about 300 gal of lp gas for the winter. heating source is a wall mount baxi boiler about the size of a uper kitchen cabinet.
Screenshot 20161030 121649

NightsWatch

NightsWatch

Steam :), radiant heat , black cover , thermal mass heating rent a track how and start digging and laying in pipe you need to go 30 feet below surface this will give you in closed loop 25 F temps

NightsWatch

NightsWatch

I agree mu buddy has that setup but upfront costs are to high for that
and you need gas lines if that is the case then just by a furnace radiant heat is hot and no where as efficient as thermal heating which only cost is piping, or a boiler

Last edited:
JSmokes420

JSmokes420

Steam :), radiant heat , black cover , thermal mass heating rent a track how and start digging and laying in pipe you need to go 30 feet below surface this will give you in closed loop 25 F temps

Yea I'm in the mountains, you aren't digging 3ft without blasting or some serious equipment

NightsWatch

NightsWatch

Then make a boiler insulated lines and your set or wood burning stove make on hit a metal scrap yard

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
They make solar panels that heat water for your pool that arent outrageously expensive.

JSmokes420

JSmokes420

They make solar panels that heat water for your pool that arent outrageously expensive.

This is something I will be doing in the future. It's awesome here with 300 days of sunshine. Just I need heat on demand. A few cloudy days and everything is frozen. Next winter though I will be setup like this with solar and a boiler backup

DetGrnThumb

DetGrnThumb

How large of a Greenhouse? If it's large enough to warrant the purchase of a boiler, radiant piped right off the boiler is your best/most efficient bet. Steel pipe along side of pots can either allow us to pump temp controlled water from the boiler or be used as a fluid dynamic geothermal cooling setup in the summer if the need arises

IMG 2024

Latest posts

Top Bottom