Help Me Design My grow Room!

• Thread starter Bizee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bizee

Hello Farmers!

I hope to be able to call myself a farmer some day! In reality I'm a complete newb that has no experience whatsoever, and is looking to design my first grow room.

Ok so heres what I have to start up with.. I Have about 1k start up budget. I will be growing indoors, in a garage.

I have about a 15x15 space I can comfortably use.

My question is what is the best possible equipment I should buy for this environment.

I found some affordable light a htgsupply that i'm looking to purchase. 1 600w hps, and one 400w hps.

please give me your insight on these lights, or if I should go with maybe the 1000w? for flowering?

I want to grow in pots. wondering if I should get a grow tent? Im not sure like i said im a complete noob with no experience whatsoever right now Im just doing the research in what exactly ill need to have a successful grow...hopefully I will with all your help!

Also I want to grow with LST technique.

Please give me your advice, and constructive critisism!

Thanks in advance!

-Bizee

P

phobar

Hey Bizee-
I think if you're just starting out you may want to start small even in the space you have. Here's what I meant by starting small based on what I have learned. I think a good rule of thumb is to start with area coverage of 50watts/square and move up from there once you begin to understand the grow cycles. Therefore, with your budget of $1k you might be able to achieve a complete 2x4x7ft tent setup covering 50watts/square using 400hps light. (total watts/total square area = watts/sq just in case you're wondering how I got the numbers). If you opt for the 400watts route then the likely hood of you needing to call in an electrician is slim due to the low energy usage.

The general idea here is that you will need an enclosed space with calculated lights setup, fans, odor filter, and timers to start/stop devices on scheduled intervals. (Several important reasons come into play with enclosed space 1. prevent light exiting and entering 2. Odor scrubbing control 3. light optimization by close boundaries reflections).

Once you get this little space setup, fire up and tested then you can just go buy 2-6 rooted single strain clones from dispensary to start growing. Or best yet grow from seeds to understand the real natural cycles of these plants and have real emperical observation in your growing path. The logic behind my decision on this setup is that you can easily use it later as a veg space or mother space as you move forward to a bigger blooming space endeavor. Also, the cost of electricity is minimal during your learning period and you will have some pretty good smokes after. "The important thing here to remember is like having your room and bed ready clean before the girls are coming over."

These are the components I would recommend for a basic passive intake and active exhaust setup. You can choose any brand or combo you wish but I don't think you can go wrong with these picks. I order my stuff from plantlightinghydroponics.com and horticulturesource.com. The cost below do not include shipping.

1. ($166.48) Sun Hut™ Enclosed Greenhouse
SUN HUT SILVER LG 2X4
You can get any size tent you want but remember the formula of (total watts / total square area = total watts/per square). You want to aim for at least 50watts/sq. So if you want 75watts/sq then you will need 600watts light setup in 2x4 tent.

2. ($135.00) Lumatek 400W 120.240V HPS/MH Electronic Ballast

3. ($109.90) Super Sun2 6 Inch Air Cool Horizontal Reflector w.Glass Lens

4. ($92.95) EYE Hortilux Lamps - Iwasaki EYE HORTILUX™ SUPER HPS™ ENHANCED SPECTRUM LU400S/HTL/EN 400 WATT E-18
[or]
($56.23) USHIO HILUX GRO AHS 400/OPTI-RED

5. ($114.90) Vortex 4 inch 172 CFM High Power Inline Fan
($149.90) Vortex 6 inch 449 CFM High Power Inline Fan
($19.90) Air King 6 Inch non-Oscillating Clip-On Fan {if you can find one that small and it oscillate that would be great)

You will need three fans 1 for exhausting filtered odor and rising hot air and 1 for evacuating heat from your lamp out of the hood. You could just use two 4 inchers but I would recommend 4 and 6 for future plans. You will need another fan (oscillating would be best) inside the tent to circulate air. Actually use the third fan to blow straight underneath hood glass to cool the "radiant temp" of light shining onto plants since it does not oscillate.

6. Two digital timers (make sure these digital timers DO NOT have batteries that you need to replace!!) I recently had a digital timer that the fucn batteries needed replacement and I didn't know it so instead of going 1.5weeks into flowering it was actually 1.5 weeks extra vegging because I found out one night while being stone in the garage that the fucn timer came on when it did not supposed to.

7. Two variable fan speeds control ($40 for two Speedster I think)

8. ($85.48) Phresh Filter PHRESH FILTER 4" x 8" 150 CFM

Good luck bro on your grow. I've been just growing for 8 months and I have now owned three fucn tents. I am now on my way to getting a contractor to completely renovate my garage for a more permanent growing platform and ditch these tents.

BTW- if I missed something on the list is probably because I'm too stone right now to remember it.

20north

start with like a 400w lamp for veg and use a 600w maybe a 750w if you can afford it and the most basic and easiest to use is a the 1000w lamp ... some would say they are harder to use than a 600w because of how big the 1000w lamps are and they do give off alot of heat the 600w lamps are nice because if you take 2 of them you put them pretty close to eachother and the middle space between the 2 lamps is really powerful and will produce

the really bad part about using such a tiny carbon filter is you need to get a fan controler because anything pulling like a 6inch fan or even most 4inch fans are going to be too fast to really use the carbonfilter correctly .. its compressed pellets of carbon its proccessed most of the time so it takes alot of time to get rid of all that smell

good luck

G

Greenhorngrower

Looking for an expert farmer with serious experience. Will cover expenses and make it worth your while. Committed to Mbp system - see mrdizzle or doubled on THCFARMER.COM.

If you have serious and real interest please reply to this posting. Greenhorngrower

Top Bottom