Help Me Pick My Lighting Please.

• Thread starter Smokey503ski
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
fishwhistle

fishwhistle

A few things on nanos site that are not available,seems they are adding product fast and having to make changes on the fly.I have not been able to get answers to emails about their 315 ballasts or their bulbs both cmh and DE,strange because they are normally on it with info.
new nano 315
cmh315ncslf_1_1.jpg

Changed new nano 315
315CMH-w.jpg

Hearing they have some bulb issues too,not sure whats up.

MGRox

MGRox

@Smokey503ski
I hesitated to post earlier as maybe you had decided; but you asked about spacing. I run the 600/750 DE (ON 600w) at a spacing of 16-18". (1250umols center peak @ 16") (forget 2 foot offset umol value @ 16" but was 25% higher than 600w hortilux). (50 umols 6 foot offset @ 16")

Good luck with your decision, I'm sure you'll be happy either way you go.

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

A few things on nanos site that are not available,seems they are adding product fast and having to make changes on the fly.I have not been able to get answers to emails about their 315 ballasts or their bulbs both cmh and DE,strange because they are normally on it with info.
new nano 315
cmh315ncslf_1_1.jpg

Changed new nano 315
315CMH-w.jpg

Hearing they have some bulb issues too,not sure whats up.
I've been asking for info on these too with no solid answers. Has anyone seen one in real life? Is that picture of the actual reflector or just an early mock-up? The price on their ballast alone is only $150. Not sure I'd trust their house brand lamps until there's data available.

@Smokey503ski
I hesitated to post earlier as maybe you had decided; but you asked about spacing. I run the 600/750 DE (ON 600w) at a spacing of 16-18". (1250umols center peak @ 16") (forget 2 foot offset umol value @ 16" but was 25% higher than 600w hortilux). (50 umols 6 foot offset @ 16")

Good luck with your decision, I'm sure you'll be happy either way you go.
Thanks for that. Did you take any readings at 750+ ? I'm long overdue for buying a light meter.

Last edited:
Genesis

Genesis

From @jumpincactus email from Gavita the 600/750 flex need a minimum of 2 foot 4 inches from top of canopy. If this isn't a concern and you can get some dope HVAC going on in those tents you'll surely have a shitload of light for your girls and kill it. As it stands your options are:

Gavita 600/750 Flex - $394.28 from Growershouse.com
Pacific Light Company CX300 - $699 from PacificLightConcepts.com
The CMH Options: Boulder lamp 315 Agro, Hydrofarm Phantom, Sunsystem, Nanolux 315, cycloptics Greenbeams - All $400-$500 (I believe, most leaning more toward $500)

I'm just wary about tents and cooling so I'd opt for the LED or CMH (but as you already know I'm bias as heck towards tags CX300) Basically you either pay upfront for newer tech and cooler running lights or pay long run for electricity to cool the DE's. Either way we gotta open our wallets.

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

I had not, but went ahead and took a couple quick for ya.

(appx. center peak) 750W setting tested appx 1700umol @ 16". Distance for 1250umol = 20.5" appx. (high 900's @ 24")
I missed this somehow, thanks! Now could you check every setting at 100umol increments? :cool:
From @jumpincactus email from Gavita the 600/750 flex need a minimum of 2 foot 4 inches from top of canopy. If this isn't a concern and you can get some dope HVAC going on in those tents you'll surely have a shitload of light for your girls and kill it. As it stands your options are:

Gavita 600/750 Flex - $394.28 from Growershouse.com
Pacific Light Company CX300 - $699 from PacificLightConcepts.com
The CMH Options: Boulder lamp 315 Agro, Hydrofarm Phantom, Sunsystem, Nanolux 315, cycloptics Greenbeams - All $400-$500 (I believe, most leaning more toward $500)

I'm just wary about tents and cooling so I'd opt for the LED or CMH (but as you already know I'm bias as heck towards tags CX300) Basically you either pay upfront for newer tech and cooler running lights or pay long run for electricity to cool the DE's. Either way we gotta open our wallets.
The SS, HF, and Nanolux 315W units are around $350 before volume discounts. The 630 from Nanolux is $410.

IronLeaf

IronLeaf

How many amps does the led run at?
For under $700 I can buy 2 of the Phantom CMH and wouldn't 2 CMH have more light output then the led?
In case you are still undecided, I have the final results for the first two plants I harvested - the biggest LED vs the biggest CMH. I will be making a post pretty soon with all results, not just the biggest two plants, but I wanted to give you a teaser and let @tags420 know, I think he will be very pleased to know his state of the art COB LEDs dominated the CMH in dry bud weight. I should have the post up by next week.

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

hqdefault.jpg

Where at boss? $350 sounds like a nice deal, thanks for sharing!
I'm just going off msrp, I rarely pay over 30% off on gear anywhere unless it's a slim margin item. The discounts get deeper when you buy in bulk, and anyone worth ordering from online will price match.

A favorite local shop quoted me $324 on the SS commercial fixtures for 35 units. $410 for the 630 was from Growershouse.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

So some may disagree on my choice.
Couldn't pass up the deal.
4 Gavita pro 1k de lights and one brand new Gavita bulb for $750

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

So some may disagree on my choice.
Couldn't pass up the deal.
4 Gavita pro 1k de lights and one brand new Gavita bulb for $750
Screaming deal! Have you seen the EL controller? It has a high temp dimming feature that's seperate from the shutoff, makes choosing the wattage setting easier if your cooling capacity is limited, probably handy for your tents.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Screaming deal! Have you seen the EL controller? It has a high temp dimming feature that's seperate from the shutoff, makes choosing the wattage setting easier if your cooling capacity is limited, probably handy for your tents.
Unfortunately these are not the E series. That function is not available on the pro version. Unless I'm mistaken.

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

Unfortunately these are not the E series. That function is not available on the pro version. Unless I'm mistaken.
Oh yeah, bummer, still a great deal though. I think they're all called proline and what you have are now the classic series.

FireBeard77

FireBeard77

Lol this thread seemed to jump around a bit cmh,leds,de, etc.So many diffrent new options.Im also on the hunt for what's best.Things for me are abit diffrent.Im having to run out of tents atm where befote i had a 12x24ft building to run out of.So i can't setup like I could then.So as it seems the big issue here is heat and height.Ive been searching for about a month now,looking to see if I should stick with hps or something better than?I'll be in a gorilla 5x5x8 tent and I can get an 8k to maybe a 10k btu ac for the tent if needed.
My old setup would net me 2.5lbs dry per 1k setup with cfls as side lighting.I run rdwc/nft super cropped then fimmed 6weeks veg from seed.I would vent the hood and cooled the room with ac as needed.3 plants per 1k.So im dialed in and happy with my setup/methods.Just looking for info as to if anything else would be better than 1k hps atm.Im not opposed to anything as long as there's some solid proof and numbers to back it up.Be it led,lec,de etc that would work in the tent size I have.Im really wanting something more efficient and all around better.There has to be something better by now.Any and all feed back is accepted.
In my searches Ive found the htg supply has a 1k de aircooled hood for 350$ or so.
Black dog leds 2400$
Spyder1200 3k
Nanolux630 for 430$
Various 315s for mid 3s$
Can someone post up some pics of product produced with these light setups?
Im starting to feel like Alice Going down this lighting rabbit hole lol.

Winged Sun

Winged Sun

Currently running gavita de e series @ 8x 600w in a 10 x 20 x 7' gorilla tent.

Lucky dog soil beds. Geoplanters in hydrofarm tables, on plywood and concrete blocks.

5 days into babies put in the dirt. Next time I will put the wee clones in small pots for their first week.

Temps during the "day" are 81 - 82°f, "night", 71 - 73 °f.

1700 cfm intake typically running at 1/3rd speed. 1700 cfm exhaust running 2/3rds typically.

2x 16" rotating pedestal fans..

Winged Sun

Winged Sun

Stress test with 8x 1000w...max temp was 85°f

Oh...infrared leaf tests with current settings are all between 75 - 77 °f

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Stress test with 8x 1000w...max temp was 85°f

Oh...infrared leaf tests with current settings are all between 75 - 77 °f
Sweet. Are you running DE or SE bulbs?
I'm really surprised I'm able to control the heat from the 4 Gavitas.
No A/C and right now it's at 79.2° which the highest it has been is around 85°
I will have to get a mini split when I get 4 more Gavitas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom