Help me setup my room

• Thread starter TurboGSR96
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TurboGSR96

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I have an area that is about 8x6x8 and I have a few questions on what I need to get to make it all work. I was thinking 2 600w HPS's would be enough or do could I benefit from 2x 1000w growing in soil?
I was also contemplating on building a smaller enclosure for Vegging, but I think for my first run I dont need it.

I have an extremely large 4 vane fan that I am going to be using as an intank fan, it probably flows 4x what I actually need in this space and I will probably use a 4" or 6" roof mounted exhaust fan.

Basically my goal is to get 2lb's every harvest, and I figured 3 harvest a year is a realistic goal or no? How many plants would any of you recommend me putting in a 8x6x8 area?

For this type of space should I be using 5 gallon buckets for flowering or can I go with something smaller, I wouldnt mind the ladies a little tall as I have plenty of vertical room, any help or suggestions is appreciated :)

T

TurboGSR96

I also plan on wrapping the entire inside with Mylar, the area is well heated I will probably have to cool the area long before I heat it in the winter, but I can draw air in from outside for that task.

F

Finalopagus

Welcome, sounds like you have it thought out well. 2lbs three times a year is some work, not alot but it will take time from your "real" life. Don't know about soil but 48 plants in that space seems right. I always go with 1000s for penetration but 600s run cooler and can be put closer to the plants tops. I think 5gal a little to big try 3gal, again not sure about soil. Do the whole room with B&W poly first before you add mylar. Put it together and run a grow log... good luck

S

satty

Welcome to the Farm , im new here also.
It looks like your going to be well on your way.
You should do very well.
:hi

T

TurboGSR96

does anybody have concerns with 2 1k HPS's in that little area? I thought there was a point in which too much wattage was overkill.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
If you are going to use the entire room then you have 48 square feet if I read your room dimensions corretly (8x6). The goal for lighting is to get between 50 and 100 watts per square foot of floor space, 75 watts psf is optimal. Running 2 x 1k gives 41.7 watts psf, short of optimal but it could work given plant arrangement.

jj

P

ProGroWannabe

I have a similar sized space that I'm ust getting ramped up right now and as soon as possible, I'll be running 3 1000's in there.

JJ has you on the right track....follow that advice!

F

Finalopagus

Yea 4 1000w in AC reflectors would do you fine, or 1000w on a 4' mover, but it depends more on your budget, 24 400w hung ver style with a 2 ton ac and and and....

how you hangin your lights pro?

T

TurboGSR96

Ok so I am shooting for 3k watts, can I get away with just a normal plain curved reflector on the lights or should I do away with a hood or reflector completely since I am using that large wattage?

I think I have a pretty good idea of what strain I want to run, I just want this to be as simple as possible for my first run, as indoor is way more complicated than outdoor.

P

ProGroWannabe

No reflectors are needed for the vertical lighting that most of us do. Just make sure that your bulbs say "Universal" or "Base-Up"---referring to their burning positon, and you can run without a reflector on them. Just simply hang the bulbs from the lamp cord.

F

Finalopagus

Just make sure that your bulbs say "Universal" or "Base-Up"---referring to their burning positon, and you can run without a reflector on them. Just simply hang the bulbs from the lamp cord.

This is VERY important some bulbs cannot be hung vert.

There are chemicals/elements (dosing) inside of the bulb that give you a certain spectrum when heated and this dosing needs to stay in a spot in the bulb for it to work. (layman word)

Most horizontal bulbs allow ~15 degrees to the vertical but no more.

read up on ur bulbs b4 u buy

T

TurboGSR96

Does anyone recommend using CFL's? Is their rated wattage proportinate to lets say a HPS? Ex. 1000watts of CFL is equal to 1000watts of HPS or no?

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
No, different spectrums and penetration abilities tgsr. The CFL's are only effective when very close to the plant.

G

grizz

stadium with 3 1000w vertical, 4 or 5 stadium shelves on each side, 60 to 80 plants in 1 gl bags, short 1 to 2 week veg so theres hardly any space needed for a veg room. if you run it perpetual. that whould be 7 to 8 plants put into flower every week and harvest the same. you can yield from a half lb to 1 lb depending on strain and yields. thats the exact measurements of my flower room, Im running 5 shelves on each side but its a crowded mo fo for sure. have about 16 inch walk way down middle. with plats on bottom shelf its like trying to fight your way through a jungle.

J

Jalisco Kid

I would look into a sys you have time and money for. If you are involved and enjoy learning, and have the money I would look into a modified bucket sys. Less then 5 plants, more then 3 lbs(fairly easy)possible for 6 by your 3rd cycle. Problem is money, it costs about 1000/plant. I have patients pulling 1g/w there second or third cycle. You need to figure out your time and money before you start.
Also I would build your room right the 1st time. It seems like people just use what they got and make it work rather then build it right the 1st time.
I am sure the are strains out there that would work but I have never seen advantages going over 75w sq'. Krust pulled 33lb with 10k that was less then 40w/sq' I believe. If you are in socal look into GM1000 buckets by GM enterprises. High quality buckets,last for generations.
I would rethink using mylar. After a month it is about as reflective as my ass. Suerte JK

Z

zombywolf

Putting 3 1000's in that space will get hot and use up a lot of electricty for the yield you are looking for. 48 female clones in 3 gal buckets (1 per square ft) will yield what you want with 3 600's every 60-90 days. From seed, put 3 seedlings per bucket and you should be able to get a female per bucket after veg and 12/12 in 90-100 days.

T

tenacious

Supporter
my main concern w/ running[3x 1000w lights] would be heat. if your room is insulated[fiberglass] heat builds very quickly, even in the winter. ventilation can help or even solve this problem.

Top Bottom