Help meee!!

• Thread starter Ganga_Alice
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Well! It seemed dry this morning so of course I watered! I'll sit back! Trying not to be a helicopter parent!!!!
In a cup that size and a plant that young, it doesn't take much to over-water. Think in tablespoons or a up to a shot glass. If you're trying to see run-off, that doesn't apply yet. Don't under-water either. Learn to read your plants and let them tell you what they need. As you gain experience these things will become second nature.

Last edited:
Ganga_Alice

Ganga_Alice

In a cup that size and a plant that young, it doesn't take much to over-water. Think in tablespoons or a up to a shot glass. If you're trying to see run-off, that doesn't apply yet. Don't under-water either. Learn to read your plants and let them tell you what they need. As you gain experience these things will become second nature.
Good to know! I definitely overwatered then!! Thanks!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Overwatering is more about how much water sits around the roots than how often it is watered. Your growing medium usually determines how much water it retains. Your plant is pretty young to be suffering from much of anything, but unless the roots can get Oxygen, they will suffocate and kill or damage the plant. I plant directly into my final growing container, so the roots, no matter how wet the bottom of the container, will have a ways to go before they hit the soggy layer. This doesn't help later, but avoids the problem of too much water when a seedling. Of course, if you have a soggy layer, you either need to add more drain holes or get a medium that doesn't hold so much water. Mud, while great to play in, is terrible for plants.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Overwatering is more about how much water sits around the roots than how often it is watered. Your growing medium usually determines how much water it retains. Your plant is pretty young to be suffering from much of anything, but unless the roots can get Oxygen, they will suffocate and kill or damage the plant. I plant directly into my final growing container, so the roots, no matter how wet the bottom of the container, will have a ways to go before they hit the soggy layer. This doesn't help later, but avoids the problem of too much water when a seedling. Of course, if you have a soggy layer, you either need to add more drain holes or get a medium that doesn't hold so much water. Mud, while great to play in, is terrible for plants.
At least later on with a well grown root structure, they are stronger and in much better position to pull through a wet feet situation.

@Jimster Your posts are always well written, and easily understood! I'm a novice in my eyes. I still have so much learning to do. I learn so much from your posts. Rock on friend!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
@Jimster Your posts are always well written, and easily understood! I'm a novice in my eyes. I still have so much learning to do. I learn so much from your posts. Rock on friend!
Thank you for the great compliment! I try to explain what I am trying to get across, as well as the reason I do things. Growing is easy... look outside and you see huge plants growing everywhere without nutes/potions/powders. A little help is great! I just get discouraged as it is so simple to grow easily, but the hardest part is over thinking or over mothering the plants. I try to teach restraint and patience, but some things in life only come from age or experience. I know I made every mistake in the book at one time or another, so I try to help other to avoid them. Often on deaf ears, but I try!
I really appreciate your compliment, though. It makes sitting here banging on the keyboard worthwhile. 😊

Ganga_Alice

Ganga_Alice

Thank you for the great compliment! I try to explain what I am trying to get across, as well as the reason I do things. Growing is easy... look outside and you see huge plants growing everywhere without nutes/potions/powders. A little help is great! I just get discouraged as it is so simple to grow easily, but the hardest part is over thinking or over mothering the plants. I try to teach restraint and patience, but some things in life only come from age or experience. I know I made every mistake in the book at one time or another, so I try to help other to avoid them. Often on deaf ears, but I try!
I really appreciate your compliment, though. It makes sitting here banging on the keyboard worthwhile. 😊
I needed that! I am an over thinker for sure! Growing is easy. I usually have a green thumb, but I tend to over parent until I catch on!!! I happened to find a few seeds and decided to try. Now I'm sooo pumped, but terrified of killing it!
I will back off and remember GROWING IS EASYYYY 💚💚

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I needed that! I am an over thinker for sure! Growing is easy. I usually have a green thumb, but I tend to over parent until I catch on!!! I happened to find a few seeds and decided to try. Now I'm sooo pumped, but terrified of killing it!
I will back off and remember GROWING IS EASYYYY 💚💚
@Ganga_Alice I think you'll be a good student. Provide the environment that allows your "child" to thrive and she will grow up at her genetically predetermined rate. Try to force her and she may die because you can't force mother nature.

I don't think of it as feeding the plant. I think of it as replenishing the soil. I start with a properly pH'd soil that already has plenty of nutes in it. When I feed, I go lightly and not very often at all. I also look for slight tip burn. If I see that, I know my soil is topped off and not to add nutes to the mix for a while.

the rrock

the rrock

At least later on with a well grown root structure, they are stronger and in much better position to pull through a wet feet situation.

+1

Latest posts

Top Bottom