Help needed. Bugs. Fert burn. Light burn.

• Thread starter CF89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CF89

CF89

I got a few different issues here and am not sure how to proceed.

I have bugs. I tried soap water and all that did was turn my leaves brown and kill half of them.

also, some leaves seem odd. Super curled up and mangled. Is this light burn or is this because they are too dense?

why are they seeming burnt and brown still?

why are they so bushy and packed? I did a little defoliation tonight and got carried away and ended up taking a ton off. It just always looks so crowded with half dead and half developed leaves and looks like shit.

This is my second grow and it’s sure not going smoothly at all. The one plant is so small and bushy and such a headache I feel like just tossing it or flipping to flower and getting it done ASAP and onto the next batch.

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Thrips! Black dots if they dont move are feces. If you got that much feces on there now. Holy cow!!!

Mine wasnt even that bad. My guess is youve got alot of instars in the soil. There 4 instar levels before adulthood. If i remember correctly...wow! Isecticidal soap, botanigard ES, you can make your own soapy water solution and spray them with that. I'd go for the insecticidal soap and botanigard ES. Look up home remedies. I tried them it took 2 to 3 weeks to kill them off. Get a bunch of yellow sticky cards they might prefer blue(i used yellow) i caught hundreds of nymphs from falling off the plant onto the soil try covering the pot with yellow stickies. I also used a vinegar peroxide mixture gotta spray the floor everything dont forget the walls...dont miss any part of your room....looks like you might have gotten a mosaic or mottle virus from them. Im not experienced enough to say for sure they are vectors of like 4 or 5 viruses
Edit:
whats interesting is you dont have alot of leaf damage. Leads me to suspect you are going to to have a full on outbreak if you dont start kickin their ass

another thing i dont see topside damage just underside leafof the leaves. That again tells be they just might be exploding in the soil...yellow/blue stickies right away

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Your leaf issues would be for Someone else to comment on.

CF89

CF89

I’ve got yellow stickies down now. They catch the odd fruit fly it seems.

Only one plant seems to be infected so far and I didn’t notice until today when I looked close during a defoliation

I did cut a lot of big leaves off which was their home. So I bet I already killed the population by about 50%. But also trimmed 50% of the fan leaves off my plants...

I’ve already tried the home made soap water solution. Apparently dawn (which is used on baby birds) is a detergent and will work fine on baby bird skin but absolutely are and burnt and poisoned my leaves.

I’m scared to buy generic stuff and spray all over my plants and cause evenmore damage.... the bugs don’t seem to be hurting anything (yet). The soap water almost killed em all.

This is pretty discouraging and frustrating.

CF89

CF89

Here’s how they look now. As well as a few days ago before defoliation.
I looked under 20-30 leaves this morning and only found like 4 small white bugs. No more of that black poop spec leaf. That was one leaf on the bottom. A big old ugly leaf.

I feel like I got 3 problems.

1 bugs
2. Soap burn
3 possible light stress/burn
4 possible nute burn?

CF89

CF89

Ps the two plants in the white pails are re vegged plants that were chopped down on July 25.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I’ve got yellow stickies down now. They catch the odd fruit fly it seems.

Only one plant seems to be infected so far and I didn’t notice until today when I looked close during a defoliation

I did cut a lot of big leaves off which was their home. So I bet I already killed the population by about 50%. But also trimmed 50% of the fan leaves off my plants...

I’ve already tried the home made soap water solution. Apparently dawn (which is used on baby birds) is a detergent and will work fine on baby bird skin but absolutely are and burnt and poisoned my leaves.

Allow to dry before returning to the lights. it will burn your leaves. I used a fan and incandescent lights

I’m scared to buy generic stuff and spray all over my plants and cause evenmore damage.... the bugs don’t seem to be hurting anything (yet). The soap water almost killed em all.

This is pretty discouraging and frustrating.
If those are Spider mites you've got a major infestation. I didn't have it as bad as that but I had webs as well all over the tops. Neem oil killed them on contact and a second blast of it 3 days later killed the hatching eggs as well. I'd tried many many things and was told by many neem oil doesn't work. It did for me.

I used 8ml per liter and 2 liters did 3 plants.( my plants were 5 ft tall) I used a hand pumping pressure washer and blasted them thoroughly. I'd used my hose on them and with a heavy hard mist I sprayed them off first with just water, I shook them off and let dry. The next day I hit them with the neem oil., then 3 days later.

These are indoor plants 3 weeks into flower now and no bugs, The room still stinks of neem oil although its fading as the flower smells take over. I'd never ever use it on flowering plants, it would ruin your smoke, in veg though have atter. It worked for me.

CF89

CF89

I don’t think those are spider mites and I don’t have any webs.

It doesn’t seem to be that bad. I could hardly find any today. The 5 yellow sticky things have caught 8 flies in like 5 days.

That one leaf was the only one like that really. In 4 plants I found a few tiny white bugs this morning so am going to look into the neem oil before it gets bad.

Is this it?

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Lok at mine if you think yours are bad....lol

It doesn’t seem to be that bad. I could hardly find any today. The 5 yellow sticky things have caught 8 flies in like 5 days.

That one leaf was the only one like that really. In 4 plants I found a few tiny white bugs this morning so am going to look into the neem oil before it gets bad.

Is this it?
110% thrips....you posted about them already i believe.

Is any of you 2 having problems uploading? Its slow af...wondering if i posted too many pics the other day and i got in trouble. If that were the case i would have been told about it right?

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

If you use liquid castile soap and water. 2tbsp to a quart of water should be good....did you use that or ivory is ok too. Dont use dawn dish sosp itll fuck up your leaves do it right b4 lights out

CF89

CF89

I used a super potent mix of dawn. I sprayed during lights on like 4 times in a row twice a day for a few days. I wanted them dead bad. Killed the wrong thing.

Thrips eh. So I need to deal with this asafp then.

Not sure about uploads. I use postimg.com

CF89

CF89

I googled “thrips marijuana” and you are 100% right. That’s what they are. Also looks like the odd fruit fly on the sticky yellow things

I once lifted the plant out of the pot to see the roots and there were a few fruit flies on the outside of my dirt clump that came out. That was two weeks ago and they seem to be gone

I definitely have a thrip problem. How did that start? Where do they come from?

CF89

CF89

I see a local place has ladybugs.... or is that a whole other can of worms. Maybe 10-15 in the tent wouldn’t hurt? Last thing I need is a lady bug infestation in the house and for them to get out and everywhere

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

Is this it?
yes that's about the same as I bought for about that price too. You do need to emulsify it with soap. I use Dr.Bronners baby soap with the neem and any of the other oils I've used. 8-10 ml pe liter then shake to mix before spraying and let your plants dry 100% before returning to your lights.

Last edited:
Flexnerb

Flexnerb

I googled “thrips marijuana” and you are 100% right. That’s what they are. Also looks like the odd fruit fly on the sticky yellow things

I once lifted the plant out of the pot to see the roots and there were a few fruit flies on the outside of my dirt clump that came out. That was two weeks ago and they seem to be gone

I definitely have a thrip problem. How did that start? Where do they come from?
Botanigard es or 22 WP
Insecticidal soap first

ARE YOU GUYS HAVING TROUBLE UPLOADING PHOTO'S

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

20190422 235520 1

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

I grew this out last year.

Basic soil and GO bio line nutes

Sage&Sour thseeds....extremely tasty!!

Buscbk92

Buscbk92

If it’s that bad and you don’t want them anyway why don’t you just save yourself the trouble, toss them and learn from your mistakes and try again. That’s what I would do personally.

CF89

CF89

Because they’re not bad at all. Yet. I just defoliated alllllll the ugly stuff off and they seem to be doing better. Ill give them another week. They spruced up since I’ve stopped spraying, LST and got rid of the ugly looking leaves.

Top Bottom