Help needed with electrical values

• Thread starter FastForward
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FastForward

Here's the deal: I need to setup my grow space in the garden, in a soon-to-be-built insulated shed, and I need to run power to it. I won't be doing this - but I spoke to an electrician who seemed to think I need to build a power station for what I need. Here's what I said I needed:

3 x Computers @ 500w PSUs = 1500w
1 x Aircon (12k BTU) = 3500w or 1 x Oil Radiator = 2000w (one or the other, never both)
2 x Photography Studio Lights (aka Growlights) @ 400w and 600w = 1000w

The whole lot = about 5000w, and that's not including all the other little bits and pieces.

My guy seemed to freak a bit at the prospect of running a copper cable from the consumer unit (ring main) in the flat out into the garden (to another consumer unit), saying that 5kw is a lot of power and the cable needs to be thick to be to code - and gets expensive.

Is 5kw a lot of power? I didn't think it was that much, but he seemed to think I'm using commercial amounts of power...which is nuts for a few PCs and a couple of high power lights?

Also, it's fucking tricky having these guys in the flat....any advice gratefully received...also, I'm only growing for personal, so I really don't need 000s of watts in lights.

hubcap

hubcap

the main concern is CURRENT.

how much current are you going to draw?

without getting too in depth...

VOLTAGE is the pressure used to MOVE the CURRENT.
hence.... you will be pushing X amount of current(AMPERAGE/AMPS) with 5000watts of VOLTAGE.
Larger wires are required, by code, when larger currents are being drawn.
(more copper, hence more money)

generally when we talk in the 5kw range and up a good amt of current is used.
and only a wee little milliamp of current is enough to kill so use a SKILLED and REPUTABLE and INSURED electrician to come and set power up "for a hot tub"

just tell an electrician your going to eventually setup a hot tub and, preferably, make it all 220-240v circuit. if not, 120v 60Hz, 3 phase power (normal household juice) will suffice.

have em place outlets where youll think theyll be handy.

its pricey, but TOTALLY worth it all when undertaking large power applications, imo.
talk to friends. find a "friendly" electrician. most of em are. theyre thinking how much money they making, not, what u gonna use the juice for.

tell em to set u up for a hot tub, some lights, and a PC.
PLENTY of juice will come with that, and itll all be up to code.(and insured)

i know copper wire is EVERYWHERE.....
maybe having alot of nice thick gage wire on hand might keep costs down....

whatta ya think?

F

FastForward

Thanks mate - much appreciated. Do you have any idea how much wattage a hot tub needs? Is it in the region of 5kW?

And for an outside 'home office' does 5kW sound like a lot?

e2a: Just got first quote back: £1500 for 7kW!!!! I could buy an Atomix for that!! Shit. This is bad.

D

doubleds

sat

Find an electrician that smokes grass, make a trade. My electrician is in love with hdtv. I have a satellite system from the us that has 60 hd channels, i offered a hd tivo and a year free on subscription (600$ my cost) he agreed and i got 3000$ worth of work and an electrician "on call"....... lol !!

hubcap

hubcap

Thanks mate - much appreciated. Do you have any idea how much wattage a hot tub needs? Is it in the region of 5kW?

And for an outside 'home office' does 5kW sound like a lot?

e2a: Just got first quote back: £1500 for 7kW!!!! I could buy an Atomix for that!! Shit. This is bad.

not sure, off hand, what what the kw will be but most operate on about 12 amps of current, i think.
(car batteries generate 2-300 amps to cold start a car, for comparison)

just call an electrician and ask him what he would do to set u up with a hot tub.
tell him its a large 8 man tub or a small 10 man tub you'll be putting in.
and let him know your logistics....
size of proposed "changing room" for the ladies to change into "swimsuits"
how many outlets youd like....
etc etc etc
he'll prolly make you your own circuit breaker and run everything for ya.
(costly but worth the coin to get it done RIGHT. safety is NO JOKE)

maybe, to save costs....you can do a lil of the work yourself before he starts....

digging ditches for cable....
having shed built and cleaned out ready to go...

etc etc etc....

best bet is to call a few with the hot tub scenario.
i know, first hand, that works.

Top Bottom