Help!! New indoor grower and confused.

• Thread starter The General
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

The General

Hi all, Iā€™m a new indoor grower, new to this site and I think I'm stuck. Nah I know I'm stuck. I have four baby plants that I have been growing in my closet for about a month. I'm starting to smell something and I'm a little worried. I know my set up is wrong, so I was thinking about buying an indoor grow tent that will fit into my SMALL closet.

Its a Grow Tent - Mother Keeper 51.5 x 22.5 x 48.5 - Silver Lined
ā€¢ Heavy Duty Reflective Silver Lined Ballistic Nylon Construction
ā€¢ Sturdy Steel Frame
ā€¢ Two 4" Vent Ports
ā€¢ Four 6" Vent Ports
ā€¢ Three Bottom Vent Flaps
ā€¢ Removable Waterproof Floor
ā€¢ Easy Setup Instructions

I'm not really sure what supplies I need for the tent to be fully operational. I'm also concerned about the neighbors smelling anything, I read about carbon scrubbers, ONA and even baking soda (sigh). I read about ventilation and how important it is, again Iā€™m not too sure what I need for that and how that works with the tent. I donā€™t have any plant or soil nutrients except for tomato plant miracle grow and treated tap water. Surprisingly enough the plants look really healthy. Iā€™m tying to keep expenses down, and would rather purchase supplies at stores than over the web but there are just so many products and methods that my head is spinning.

So as you can see Iā€™m a SUPER NOOBE in need of some expert HELP. Can U help a lady out?

The General [/FONT]:character0103:

Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

Not the cheapest solution, but if you are kicking a small four plant grow in a closet, you would be amazed at what a $200 ionizer will do. One 'o them air purifier things for your house.

You could probably get away with it not even being in the closet, merely in the same room as the closet. Don't know much about grow tents, but in a closet, it could be tough. Keep in mind that you will have to seal the tent and have an exhaust fan and carbon scrubber, etc.

Fans make a lot of noise. Can be as big a security risk as smell. Do some searching on this and other sites for odor control and see if you can squirrel away enough cash to get a air purifier.

Do some searching and check other people's closet grows - it will give you plenty of ideas.

sedate

sedate

This is what you are looking at?

I like it, but if your looking at a carbon filter I'd use a hood and fan instead of a t5 fixture.

The General said:
. Iā€™m tying to keep expenses down, and would rather purchase supplies at stores than over the web but there are just so many products and methods that my head is spinning

Growing is not an inexpensive hobby.

Those grow tents, with the flanges like that, are designed to accomodate cannon fans and duct work like this:

Chemical smell controls are band-aids at best - you need removal - and that means a big effin carbon filter:

The General said:
I donā€™t have any plant or soil nutrients except for tomato plant miracle grow and treated tap water.

Miracle Gro is a decent chemical fert - tap water on the East Coast tends to be fairly soft, so this is probably fine.
Get through a grow or three this way before blowing all your loot on expensive bloom food - especially if your looking at a smallish personal grow.

That grow tent is pretty small - so I'd recommend a 250 - 600w HPS/MH in an air cooled reflector:

I would design my airflow like this, where each arrow is 6" ducting:

Carbon Filter -> Tent Intake -> Hood -> Tent Exhaust -> Cannon Fan -> Outside a window or into a empty room/storage room

Methinks, at least in this particular setup, having the carbon filter sittning just outside the grow tent should still provide more than enough filtration for outside smell concerns -but if you have the space to hang it up or put it in a corner, that would be a little more ideal.

The General said:
Iā€™m tying to keep expenses down, and would rather purchase supplies at stores than over the web but there are just so many products and methods that my head is spinning.

You can do everything except the specialty equipment with a trip to Home Depot.

Don't stress it - grow simple potted plants in Potting Soil with a conservative nute schedule - don't worry about pruning or training or screens or this or that. Get through a grow and you'll have better ideas about the direction you want to take you grow and the methods that your comfortable with.

Papa

Papa

Supporter
nice post sedate.

good luck The General. Like sedate said, try to keep the bells and whistles off as much as possible while you're starting. It's sometimes a bit difficult to do, geez, it might be the most difficult thing to do, good luck.

Papa

T

The General

Hi Sedate,

Thank you so much for your help, I REALLY APPERICATE all your advice. I havenā€™t quite figured out how to use quotes in the response, so please excuse me if this message turns out a little weird. *smiles*

This is what you are looking at?

Yes that is exactly what I brought, because of the limited space that have in my closet.

Growing is not an inexpensive hobby.

Youā€™re telling me. I just went to the store and spent about 100 bucks, looks like I'm gonna have to go donate more plasma this month to pay for what I got. *smiles*

Anywho, I got the following:

Two 6" In-Line Duct fanes
6" duct work
aluminum screen
duct tape
extension cords

Chemical smell controls are band-aids at best - you need removal - and that means a big effin carbon filter:

I have done some research and I have seen homemade carbon filters, and I think thatā€™s what I'm gonna do. *fingers crossed*. Iā€™m hoping four babies donā€™t stink too much.

Get through a grow or three this way before blowing all your loot on expensive bloom food - especially if your looking at a smallish personal grow.

I totally agree but shopping is my weakness.....hmmm shopping for farming toys....even better.

That grow tent is pretty small - so I'd recommend a 250 - 600w HPS/MH in an air cooled reflector:

I got a 400W HPS but not the air cooled reflector. The light is like the kind you put in ceiling not too special, I think the light and bulbs cost around 25 bucks.

Do you think I can use the one I have in the tent, or if not do you have a recommendation for a cheaper one?

I would design my airflow like this, where each arrow is 6" ducting:

Carbon Filter -> Tent Intake -> Hood -> Tent Exhaust -> Cannon Fan -> Outside a window or into a empty room/storage room

I'm not quite sure I understand how to set up the ventilation system. Can you break it down for me a little better please? I have Noobe Knowledge

Here is a pic of my humble growth.

Thanks again Sedate :flower

From the Earth 1
T

The General

Hi Cat Jockey,

Thanks for the advice; the $200 price tag is a little too high for me right now. I did however get some fans and stuff, (See post to Sedate). I'm just waiting for my tent to arrive so that I can construct everything.

I searching on the net for small grow closet construction and I saw some things that could help me out, but I hoping that getting the tent will give me a better yield.

I'm thinking about making my own carbon filter, I saw a couple of videos online. What are your thoughts on homemade carbon filters for four plants? Do you think I will even need one?

Appreciate your feed back

D

Dr.Worm

Carbon Filter -> Tent Intake -> Hood -> Tent Exhaust -> Cannon Fan -> Outside a window or into a empty room/storage room.

This setup will filter all the intake air and blow unfiltered dank air everywhere. If you left the air filter inside the tent, then it will suck the air inside and exhaust it out.

But if you have the can 'just outside the tent' then you are 'just filtering your intake'.

You can modify that easily by putting your carbon scrubber on your hood.

Scrubber => Hood => Exhaust fan.

You don't have to worry about any intake because your exhaust will create negative pressure inside the tent (your exhaust will try to make a vacuum inside) and any air leaks will turn into intakes!

sedate

sedate

Dr Worm said:
This setup will filter all the intake air and blow unfiltered dank air everywhere. If you left the air filter inside the tent, then it will suck the air inside and exhaust it out.

No it won't.

It will filter all the air that is being exhausted out of the house - which meets the install constraints supplied by the OP, "I'm worried about the smell for my neighbors" - it isn't really perfect, but inside a grow tent space is precious and I'm not sure I'd use up space that could be a nice flowering plant - with a boring carbon filter.

Anyway, you've described exactly what I described, only after I did it and after you told me I was wrong:

Dr Worm said:
You can modify that easily by putting your carbon scrubber on your hood.

Scrubber => Hood => Exhaust fan

Which is what I said.

But eitherway, OP isn't using one, so it doesn't matter okay.

The General said:
Two 6" In-Line Duct fanes
6" duct work
aluminum screen
duct tape
extension cords

These in-line fans - the little round ones shaped like duct work?

If you only plan on running a single lamp, and something equal to or less than a 400, those should be sufficient. And I mean barely sufficient.

They move air - but not much more. And not past kinks or blockage or over any particular distance.

I tried to build a heat exchanger with them and the results were abysmal.

The General said:
I got a 400W HPS but not the air cooled reflector. The light is like the kind you put in ceiling not too special, I think the light and bulbs cost around 25 bucks.

I'm not sure what sort of light you have, but if it is a 400w HPS, it cost you alot more than $25 - like maybe about $200. The bulb, and only the bulb, might have cost you $25 - the rest of the lamp - the ballast and cordset - should be about two hundred more.

You might want to snap a pic of the light and we can identify it for you. I really doubt its a 400w HPS.

You cannot - and I mean CANNOT - grow without either ample flourscent lighting - in that tent a T5 fixture or a home-made CFL array would be sufficient - or a HID - again - either a 250 - 400w HPS or MH (a 600 is out with those little duct fans) - eitherway, to do this just at all you need to invest alot more than $25 into lighting.

I'm $2000 deep into lights so don't get discouraged.

The General said:
I have done some research and I have seen homemade carbon filters, and I think thatā€™s what I'm gonna do. *fingers crossed*. Iā€™m hoping four babies donā€™t stink too much.

Smell control is always a bit of a crap shoot.

The commerical carbon filters are as expensive as the homemade ones these days - with the price of bulk activated carbon and what-not - but they are very, very effective.

You're quite a way from flowering, but a few weeks in four plants can be awfully stinky . . .

The General said:
I'm not quite sure I understand how to set up the ventilation system. Can you break it down for me a little better please? I have Noobe Knowledge

Here is a pic of my humble growth.

Um.

You're not using a big carbon filter or a cannon fan, so it's kinda moot anyway.

I'd probably use both duct fans on the 6" ports of the grow tent - and have both exhausting air.

Use a single 8" port for an intake . .

I sort of need to know what you are going to do with your lighting situation before I can get more specific.

T

The General

Hi Sedate,

First of all thanks for your patience, I know I have a lot of questions.

I'm not sure what sort of light you have, but if it is a 400w HPS, it cost you a lot more than $25 - like maybe about $200. The bulb, and only the bulb, might have cost you $25 - the rest of the lamp - the ballast and cordset - should be about two hundred more.

You might want to snap a pic of the light and we can identify it for you. I really doubt its a 400w HPS.

Your absolutely right about my lights Sedate, I'm kinda embarrassed to tell you what lights Iā€™m using. But never the less, I have a two 40 Watt flourscent bulbs in the bright sunshine tones. *head hung low*ā€¦.disapproval noted.....on to corrective action.

SO.... I know I gotta ditch the old light and get a new oneā€¦got it. Remember the tent I got? Well I was looking at this lighting package from the link you sent me ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.

ULTIMATE 400 WATT GROW LIGHT SYSTEM BOTH HPS & MH

Did you pick this one because it will fit in my ā€¢51.5" Wide x 22.5" Deep x 48.5" Tall tent or do you think this is a good lighting source for me to use for the small amount I'm growing? I like what it has to offer for the price.

The General

:character0103:

T

The General

Hi Sedate,

I actually decided to go with a Sun Blaze T5 High Output Fluorescent System
lights2.shtml

And I got (4) 3000K bulbs for flowering time.

I think that light system will be the best fit got the tent I got. The price wasn't too bad either. I hoping that heat from the lamp will be minimal. Iā€™m curious to know what you think about the light system.

So now I'm thinking about ventilation and duct work and carbon filters and lions and tigers and bears....on my!

With the size of my tent (51.5 x 22.5 x 48.5) I could probably get away with two 4ā€ inline duct fans and a home made carbon filter? Do you think heat will be a big problem with the small fans?

One of the main things for me is keeping the smell out. SO I might just spring for a store made carbon filter. Do you have any good links to find some at a reasonable price?

Thanks for your advice Sedate.

A

Aerio

I use the same tent. Works great. For odors go on ebay search for ONA Gel. Works the best and we be good for your needs. I promise.

R

robeartobrenton

i just posted this on another thread - this is by far - the BEST stealth setup i have seen to date... DEFINETLY not the NICEST BUT - this fucking guy pulled it off in this little box bro....

150W HPS...
DWC 1 plant
In a mini Fridge
SCROG - 2 inches from the base.

fucker got about 4 ounces inside a mini fridge, just has air pulling from the top where he had his light.

http://www.invalid.com/grow-journals/131013-master-kush-scrog-150w-hps.html

do something similar to this inside your tent, and you will ROCK bro

R

robeartobrenton

no matter what light you use inside that tent, - if your doing anything under 600W, you NEED to do scrog, for good quality stuff bro... look up SCROG or read that thread i gave you... that will help A LOT

T

The General

Hi Robeartobrenton,

Thanks for the link and the advice of the SCROG.....the pics and description is really good. I do however have a little bit more space so if I decided to go with the Scrog, I would have to make some adjustments. I'm not sure though.

T

The General

Aero,

What about using a Carbon Filter, would that work instead of the ONA Gel, I have heard a lot of good things about both. Does it come down to user preference or is one better than the other?

Thanks

R

robeartobrenton

Hi Robeartobrenton,

Thanks for the link and the advice of the SCROG.....the pics and description is really good. I do however have a little bit more space so if I decided to go with the Scrog, I would have to make some adjustments. I'm not sure though.

No matter how big your growbox is, the key for quanity and quality is scrog in a stealth setup... if you are running a few thousand wats both vertical and horizontal MH + HPS you can do big trees and get good production sure... but otherwise... you need to get crafty with the way your plant is laid out... scrog is your ticket for success, no matter how many your doing or how big, it will be the best success when only using 1 light.

lots of luck - ps - get a carbon filter.. just suck air through the filter then past the light in a cool tube and out of your tent and out of the room, you want the exhaust to go into a different room, or outside, depending on how your airconditioning is

T

The General

Thanks for the tips. I appericate your help. You said u have the same tent a me? If so I'm trying to hook up my carbon filter and duck work but I'm a little stuck. How would you suggest my ventilation set up go? There are no windows. I have two inline 4inch fans and duct work with a 4' carbon filter. I have the 2 x 4 ft T5 lights,. I need help with how I should set it up. I haven't found many instructions or videos to really help with my small set up. Any help u can give will be greatly appreicated.

Thanks

Latest posts

Top Bottom