HELP! Nutrient Deficiency? Beginner growing in COCO

• Thread starter MisterJones
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MisterJones

MisterJones

Of you download light meter by my mobile tools dev and test the lux i would say about 15-20k should be plenty at this point. Probably closer to 15.

As @Beachwalker pointed out you need to water a LOT more often.
So i shouldn't be worried about overwatering?

Terpz719

Terpz719

I am using Gen Hydro nutrients FloraSeries, Cal-mag, and rapid start. I ph to around 6.2 and water usually every 3 days or whenever first inch is dry. I always do a minimum of 30% runoff and sometimes more. The chart says 550-700 ppm for early growth and 600-900 for late growth. Im thinking 700 ppm would be a good number.
Ditch the charts, and watch the plants. The charts are an average, and typically assume 100% healthy plants in optimum light and environmental conditions. From my experience, with plants that size, 700 ppm would fry my plants. I'd say 300 ppm, using RO water, would be plenty. Sounds like you're treating coco like soil, but it's much closer to hydro. You should be fertigating once a day too, not every three. FWIW, at that stage of growth I run a pH of 5.9.

MisterJones

MisterJones

@Aqua Man

Do I want to trim the bigger dark fan leaves off now? If not, when should I do it?

MisterJones

MisterJones

So the new growth looks much healthier. The onl
IMG 6670
InkedIMG 6671 LI
y thing i am worried about now is that while i was training i noticed that one of the stems was sort of trying to break at the manifold. I stopped training and want to let it grow on its own so maybe it will heal. I have 4 tops so far and the top with the damaged stem isn't growing as fast. Anything i need to do or just leave it?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So the new growth looks much healthier. The onlView attachment 1049765View attachment 1049766y thing i am worried about now is that while i was training i noticed that one of the stems was sort of trying to break at the manifold. I stopped training and want to let it grow on its own so maybe it will heal. I have 4 tops so far and the top with the damaged stem isn't growing as fast. Anything i need to do or just leave it?
If it cracked its looks very minor and will heal on its own. If its pulling away then support it. Its a trick spot to tape but you can tape it if you need.

MisterJones

MisterJones

So ive been watering 2x a day and the plant has been growing good but i noticed a little clawing of the leaves. Does this mean i need to cut back on my ppm or change the ratio of the nutrients. my ppm is currently 685.

WIN 20201103 14 36 21 Pro
WIN 20201103 14 36 45 Pro
JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
I wouldn't worry about that little bit there, it's hardly clawing, mine do a bit of shape shifting just after watering but they're fine a little later

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So ive been watering 2x a day and the plant has been growing good but i noticed a little clawing of the leaves. Does this mean i need to cut back on my ppm or change the ratio of the nutrients. my ppm is currently 685.
Whats your ppm? In and out?

MisterJones

MisterJones

Would probably drop to 550-600ppm in. Thats great numbers.
Yeah this is what I figured. Also, why do they recommend higher ppm for DWC than in coco? I ask this because i am growing a plant that is growing extremely slow. I have the PH set at 5.8, Running 2 air stones, ppm @ 550 which is slightly lower than general hydro feedchart recommendations, rapid start, hydroguard, and the basic 3 part GH nutes.
WIN 20201103 16 21 34 Pro
WIN 20201103 16 21 52 Pro

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah this is what I figured. Also, why do they recommend higher ppm for DWC than in coco? I ask this because i am growing a plant that is growing extremely slow. I have the PH set at 5.8, Running 2 air stones, ppm @ 550 which is slightly lower than general hydro feedchart recommendations, rapid start, hydroguard, and the basic 3 part GH nutes. View attachment 1051688View attachment 1051689
Because recirc systems don't keep ratios as well as DTW systems. But there are a lot of factors that can offset it. Generally speaking i find that its pretty close.

MisterJones

MisterJones

Because recirc systems don't keep ratios as well as DTW systems. But there are a lot of factors that can offset it. Generally speaking i find that its pretty close.
Im starting to think I just got bad seeds. I had 2 and the other has been 2-3 inches tall and hasn't grown a node in a month. That one is just sitting in a little greenhouse with some vegetables in some topsoil.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Im starting to think I just got bad seeds. I had 2 and the other has been 2-3 inches tall and hasn't grown a node in a month. That one is just sitting in a little greenhouse with some vegetables in some topsoil.
I think you will see that DWC plant boom soon. Lower the light intensity a little.

MisterJones

MisterJones

So the growth of the DWC plant is starting to pick up. PPM hasn't changed in about 5 days but I have to adjust PH back to 5.8 as it climbs to 7. Is this normal? I considered transferring to coco just for simplicity since my other is in coco. Also, has anyone heard of gold leaf nutrients? They claim its a true one part fertilizer that doesn't require any PH buffers but I don't see how that would work.......

Top Bottom