Help on first no-till grow

• Thread starter RenaissanceBrah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RenaissanceBrah

RenaissanceBrah

Hello everyone,

Noob post here, was hoping to get any advice before diving in.

Going to be my 2nd grow, first outdoor grow, first no-till grow.

Planning on:
  • Planting 1-4 seedlings of the sativa "PuTang" I picked up from Mass Medical Strains in the 30 gallon pot.
  • 30 gallon tan fabric pot to place outdoors (I'm in Southern California, temps here get down to around 55-60F at night and typically around 80F during the day. Sun is damn strong during the day).
  • Using Coots style Mix (1/1/1 of coco coir / supersoil / perlite). Everything organic.
  • Will use cover crops (white clover and alfalfa).
  • Will also plant some companion plants in the pot (mint, dill, to keep away spider mites).
  • Possibly KNF inputs... I still know very little about them.
  • Will be adding worm castings from my worm bin with red wigglers, I only feed them organic veggie scraps.
  • No neem, will only spray with essential oil extracts, to prevent spider mites and such. Will also probably use enzymes (though I don't know anything about them, but someone told me I should for an organic grow).
Questions:
  1. For the coots-style mix, can I use something like M3 Michigan Made Mix supersoil instead of compost? My reasoning is that it has all the beneficials inside of it already. Or would there be a better way to approach it?
  2. Any good alternatives to M3 Michigan Made Mix soil? I've heard it's amazing, but might be too costly to acquire out here in southern california, after the shipping costs. Looks like M3 is out of stock anyways of this soil.
  3. Any other advice? Hoping to learn, open to any suggestions, fascinated with living soils.
Thanks in advance for any help

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

okay heres my input; Coots mix is thirds, lava rock CSPM and worm castings, amended with neem seed meal kelp meal and crab meal plus plenty of minerals. If your in socal i would check out Bus Blend, thats what you want to play with but regardless there should be some really quality compost from a local producer, not a bagged over priced under made product from a grow store....Best way to get the most bennies is to use many different quality imputs, vermi post and quality thermophelic as well as aged manure. Crimsion clover is good, as well as Harry Vetch

RenaissanceBrah

RenaissanceBrah

Harry Vetch
Thank you, I will check those out.

Btw, does the cover crop matter that much? I've been hearing some say white clover and alfalfa, and others say crimson clover and harry vetch.

Just wondering if it's pretty much the same or makes a big difference

Mascannabis

Mascannabis

Btw, does the cover crop matter that much? I've been hearing some say white clover and alfalfa, and others say crimson clover and harry vetch.

I’d suggest finding a cover crop mix online. The one I use has like 12 different plants all serving a different purpose. I believe build a soil has a mix like that. Are you adding worms to the 30 gallon pots?

shaganja

shaganja

Can't find picture, but I buy cannaseur cover crop. They have a bunch of plants. Half are just clover. Three of four types. And all the rest of companions.

shaganja

shaganja

Hello everyone,

Noob post here, was hoping to get any advice before diving in.

Going to be my 2nd grow, first outdoor grow, first no-till grow.

Planning on:
  • Planting 1-4 seedlings of the sativa "PuTang" I picked up from Mass Medical Strains in the 30 gallon pot.
  • 30 gallon tan fabric pot to place outdoors (I'm in Southern California, temps here get down to around 55-60F at night and typically around 80F during the day. Sun is damn strong during the day).
  • Using Coots style Mix (1/1/1 of coco coir / supersoil / perlite). Everything organic.
  • Will use cover crops (white clover and alfalfa).
  • Will also plant some companion plants in the pot (mint, dill, to keep away spider mites).
  • Possibly KNF inputs... I still know very little about them.
  • Will be adding worm castings from my worm bin with red wigglers, I only feed them organic veggie scraps.
  • No neem, will only spray with essential oil extracts, to prevent spider mites and such. Will also probably use enzymes (though I don't know anything about them, but someone told me I should for an organic grow).
Questions:
  1. For the coots-style mix, can I use something like M3 Michigan Made Mix supersoil instead of compost? My reasoning is that it has all the beneficials inside of it already. Or would there be a better way to approach it?
  2. Any good alternatives to M3 Michigan Made Mix soil? I've heard it's amazing, but might be too costly to acquire out here in southern california, after the shipping costs. Looks like M3 is out of stock anyways of this soil.
  3. Any other advice? Hoping to learn, open to any suggestions, fascinated with living soils.
Thanks in advance for any help
When I started, I chose living bagged soils, over making my own. Cheaper, and dont have to make a soil! If your in cali, why not the cali brands?

Slickrick82

Slickrick82

Can't find picture, but I buy cannaseur cover crop. They have a bunch of plants. Half are just clover. Three of four types. And all the rest of companions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom