HELP! Plants are looking awful

• Thread starter Jburger
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jburger

Hey Farmers. This is my first time using coco. Im currently doing a little side by side right now, half my room coco and the other half 6" Rockwool cubes (the medium I had been using before). I transplanted about 2 and a half weeks ago and the coco plants were doing incredible, some of the healthiest plants Ive ever had, way faster growth than with the rockwool. But NOW for whatever reason they look like absolute shit, pretty much just stopped growing, I dont know what im doing wrong, PLEASE HELP!

Im currently running Royal Kush (Purp Kush x Diesel) using Royal Gold Tupur (Two per* ha ha) a high porosity coco mix, in two gallon bags, and im top watering drain to waste every other day. For my veg nutes im using SVA, SVB as my base, along with AN Sensizyme, Beneficial Biologics Sea Green, and plant success orca. Im watering with nutes for two straight waterings then I flush with ph'd water for the third. Im not noticing any major shifts in PH or PPMs, however for whatever reason my plants just stopped growing and are now showing some serious stress. I was not supplementing calMg at first but this last week ive been adding it to the mix but my plants are still looking bad. Im hitting my plants with about 700 PPM... is this too much for coco, my ph is 5.8. Im currently using the same nute mix for my rockwool plants and my cocoplants and the rockwool plants are doing fine still. Any ideas?

I am waiting till the coco is pretty dry before rewatering... should I be watering when the medium is still a little wet?

DSC053501.jpg
DSC05352.jpg
DSC05346.jpg
DSC05348.jpg

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I learned the same lesson your are. Coco should not be treated like soil. I feed every other day once things get rocking.

Check out this Coco guide, I found it very useful:

outwest

U

UGK 4 Life

You can't really overwater coco. I water everyday with 50/50 coco-perlite. I have never used straight coco before but every other day sounds like to long in between feeds or water. Coco plants tend to grow faster so there is a learning curve with keeping up with the water demands. Be careful with the straight ph'd water flushes, some would argue me on this but I would recommend using 1/4 strength nutes to flush. Straight water can really confuse a plant. Good luck man.

Cort

Cort

You want to keep coco moist. I cant do automated drainage yet, so I do several small feedings a cycle and every few days do a good drain to waste as clean out.

Chrondondalae

Chrondondalae

Drop your ppm's and water more frequently. Personally I would drop the calmag too.

Have you been hitting them with 700 right from transplant? Takes a bit for things to build up but it happens more easily in coco, especially when roots aren't taking up the entire medium. Been there. Drop it down to 400 for a bit until they look better then slowly build back up. Sea Green makes things a lot more efficient.

You'll see a big difference.

C

Canvas

I don't see any fans in that pic, get some air on them!
What matters is to push air *through* the canopy, past every part of the bud, that will keep it from molding.

Other than fans, my coco plants looked just like yours, I am starting to figure out what has been going on in my garden.

the rrock

the rrock

agree with the fans as you got a real nice jungle there

D

Don007206

I run my coco at 1000 ppm min in flower and water 2 times a day and flush 1 time a week you have 2 water more it's not dirt

catdaddy

catdaddy

i thought you're suppose to let the medium dry out in between waterings/feedings? somebody please correct if im wrong. i got 3 plants in coco and i let the coco go almost dry before i feed or water and it takes 3-4 days before mines dry out.

D

Don007206

Mag is needed and your over watering bad dry for 2 or 3 days then add Epsom salt to your feed feed at 700 ppm a gallon for every 6 plants

Z

zombywolf

I use Pro-mix which has similar values to coco. My experience with coco has been that it can be denser unless you add a lot of perlite to the mix. If using straight coco, watering every 2 days with fert may be too much. I never water more than every 4-5 days and only fert 1x per week. Try this- give ferts in one good watering on weekends, water only in mid week to get them to next weekend fert watering. I'm in about 3 gal pots- a little bigger than your bags and it works out similar to your water volume, but has some dryer times between waterings. If you fert too much it can get locked up and the plants dont get what they need- hence the situation that they look underwatered. Ferts are overrated here with the various formulas- simple has value. Try also to add Drip Clean fron H&G- it helps to reduce salt build up in the medium. Before you make this change, wash the medium out to remove as much old fert as possible. Cant see your medium from the pics-lift the bags, if heavy you may have trapped moisture at the root zone. Only water/fert if they are light. Too much moisture is not letting oxygen to the roots, if heavy.

H

hogan400

There needs to be a dislike button...
Leaf ridges are curling up showing dehydration also causing a touch of mag def since they arent transpiring the needed moisture... How bout some questions here....wtf?

Whats ur r.h?
whats the day/night temps?
Using purified water or tap?
Are you letting 20% or more solution runoff after watering? MUST DO!

You want 60% r.h
Also dont do any straight watering with coco since its nothing like soil, and lacks all the buffers and goodies soil and has! Keep ur day night to less than 10* difference until final 2 weeks. Try to water when they are getting a touch light but def not dry. I feed every time, twice daily, only fresh water the final week or so. Ur genetics can handle 700 with that size plant. Do not follow Pro mix or soil-less guidelines. The above post is very helpful for pro-mix and has excellent principals, but not all of them work for coco. Coco drain to waste like you are doing is a super effective method! My only method! Over water 20%, feed every time, brew a quality tea once a week, never ever let dry out, water twice if you need, keep ph stable 5.2-6.3, use a basic feed formula with epsoms salts for mag and dont worry about calcium too much. Most foods have plenty for marijuana...

Another thing I see is P.m, Read up on it if you havent, whenever a plant is initially infected, sometimes it will lose its luster and droop a bit because its trying to fight off an infection as well. Take the time to read what jalisco kid, dankworth, and deep buddy say about food programs and watering....

los0420

los0420

feed with every watering you do, make sure you add atleast 5ml of cal mag per gallon of nutrient solution every feeding .coco eats cal mag lololol .700 ppm is too low for your strain it is very under nuted you should be at around a 1000 ppm in veg i reach 1200 ppm and in flowering by week 6 i am already at 1500 ppm .each strain is different so try to up the nutes till you get a slight burn at the leaf tips then back it off 100 ppm or so this will let you know u have reached max level of nutes that the specific strain likes follow this and u will be amazed

vonwolfen

vonwolfen

I dont see any nute burns on the tips so I doubt its has to do with ec/ppms beng to high. In one of the photos the top stems have drooped over so its typically going to be to much or to little water. You can over water in coco, but it takes a lot of work to do it..lol...So you are down to a heat issue or under watering. to low ppm/ec shouldn't cause that kind of drooping. Neither should a nute def...Heat or under watering..btw you should be able to bring your ppm/ec levels up. 700ppm is low.
UGK4life is right(imho)..never flush with straight water. It can mess up the balance in the coco/plants exchange process, and it can also flush out your "good" bacteria. in truth an argument can be made that you shouldn't need to flush until the very end, or at all(with water run-off from each watering). Though its probably a good idea to do a final flush.
oh..this is an old thread....lol

CharmCity915

CharmCity915

Mag is needed and your over watering bad dry for 2 or 3 days then add Epsom salt to your feed feed at 700 ppm a gallon for every 6 plants
I know this thread is old but I have a few questions for the coco nuts. I’m in Roots Organic 707 & Royal Gold Tupar while cutting it with perlite. What would you recommend my ph be?? I’ve gotten a few different answers and I’m just triple checking!! Thanks in advance!!

newh

newh

I never let my coco dry,I never give straight water till the last week.I let the plant tell me if it wants calmag.I learned better by messing up plants in the past lol

Top Bottom