Help - second grow, hermies again

• Thread starter eFeNGee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
eFeNGee

eFeNGee

Hello, growers.
I'm here for your opinions and advices again, humbled by my recent failure.

So about 1.5 year back I decided to build myself a sealed grow room. Long story short, I did it with no help because growers in my country have never heard about such thing, so some things are a bit off / useless (tent for example, or CO2 with one 450W led light covering 1.2mx1.2m of canopy). I've spent a little over $10k on equipment, including 3.5kw mini-split ac with Wi-Fi, enviro-controller, CO2 setup, 4x MarsHydro TS 3000, Secret Jardin Intense 240 grow box, two dehumidifiers etc etc. I've become obsessed with cannabis cultivation, spent every free minute reading forums, watching Dr. Bugbee's videos. Some of you can relate I guess. 😄

Anyway, my first grow went fine, I've grown Gorilla Zkittlez from Barney's, harvested 2.5kg, achieved approx. 1.4g/W. Shit was lit, covered in trichomes. BUT I've found around 1 hundred seeds during trimming. Hermies, I've figured. It has been brought to my mind earlier that Barney's tends to herm.

Well, here I am, 4 month later, growing Wedding cake from Barney's, at the end of week 3 flower and guess what.
4 out of 16 plants are hermies! It's my second grow and it's happening again.

It's extremely frustrating for me because I'm trying really hard to grow some nice buds, I spend 2-4 hours every day taking care of my girls and I don't know if it's me or Barney's genetics to blame for that catastrophe. When I saw the nanners today, first thing on my mind was to set the grow room on fire. My frustration has reached peak levels.

Here's some info and please tell me if you see something wrong with my environment, watering/feeding or lights that could possibly make my plant herm.

Temps:
Seedling:
· Day 25°C
· Night 20°C
Veg
· Day 30°C
· Night 25°C
Flower
· Day 27°C
· Night 22°C

Humidity
· I match my humidity to my temps according to the VPD chart. During flower it's 60 day and night, it's as low as i can go with two dehumidifiers running on full power

Watering
Veg: Once in 3 days, 3.5L, plants are in 25L fabric pots (soil)
Flower: Once in 2 days, 5.5L

Feeding:
Veg: Canna Terra Vega 3ml/L, Canna CalMag 0.5ml/L, Cannazym 2.5ml/L, pH 6.0-6.2, water temp 24°C
Flower: Canna Flores 5ml/L, CalMag 0.5L/L, Cannazym 2.5ml/L, Cannaboost 2ml/L, Canna PK 0.3ml/L for entire flowering

Lights
From 10% to 70% in veg, in week1fl 80%, week2 90%, week3 100% @46cm from the canopy. Approx 1250 ppfd in the middle.

CO2
1200ppm during flower

Techniques:
I top 2 times, first time above 3rd node, second time above 3rd node too. Than scrogging. Defol before switch, than defol and lollipoping at the end of week 2 flower.

There is no light leaks, no temp or humidity fluctuations. Offgasing has come to my mind, but I have an air purifier with formaldehyde filter in it. I'm a little intense with the defol tho. And in the second week my plants stretched as hell and I had no time to rise the lights, they were @20cm 90%.

Also, there are no nanners at the canopy level. All of them are below canopy and not in the buds themselves, only in the spot where branch is dividing from main stem. Decided to pluck them off and see whats gonna happen.

Do you think those hermies are my fault, or is it Barneys unstable genetics? Ask any details, will upload photos if needed.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Yes, totally relatable. I like to dive in first and ask questions later too!

Pics would be awesome. Your description is very good, but lets see what's going on with those girls.

A closeup of the boy parts and an overall of the whole setup would be a great start.

CookiesLikeWhoa

CookiesLikeWhoa

Only thing I could see is maybe the big humidity swings from day to night?

Can't comment on Barney's since I haven't grown them.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
I grew Barney’s gorilla zkittlez twice. Hermd both times, that’s the gorilla in her🍌
Genetics play the primary role in the cause.it’s not you as a grower in this case.
Get some good genetics, preferably regular non fem seeds and you will have better luck.👌

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hello, growers.

So about 1.5 year back I decided to build myself a sealed grow room. Long story short, I did it with no help because growers in my country have never heard about such thing, so some things are a bit off / useless (tent for example, or CO2 with one 450W led light covering 1.2mx1.2m of canopy). I've spent a little over $10k on equipment, including 3.5kw mini-split ac with Wi-Fi, enviro-controller, CO2 setup, 4x MarsHydro TS 3000, Secret Jardin Intense 240 grow box, two dehumidifiers etc etc. I've become obsessed with cannabis cultivation, spent every free minute reading forums, watching Dr. Bugbee's videos. Some of you can relate I guess. 😄

Anyway, my first grow went fine, I've grown Gorilla Zkittlez from Barney's, harvested 2.5kg, achieved approx. 1.4g/W. Shit was lit, covered in trichomes. BUT I've found around 1 hundred seeds during trimming. Hermies, I've figured. It has been brought to my mind earlier that Barney's tends to herm.

Well, here I am, 4 month later, growing Wedding cake from Barney's, at the end of week 3 flower and guess what.

It's extremely frustrating for me because I'm trying really hard to grow some nice buds, I spend 2-4 hours every day taking care of my girls and I don't know if it's me or Barney's genetics to blame for that catastrophe. When I saw the nanners today, first thing on my mind was to set the grow room on fire. My frustration has reached peak levels.

Here's some info and please tell me if you see something wrong with my environment, watering/feeding or lights that could possibly make my plant herm.

Temps:
Seedling:
· Day 25°C
· Night 20°C
Veg
· Day 30°C
· Night 25°C
Flower
· Day 27°C
· Night 22°C

Humidity
· I match my humidity to my temps according to the VPD chart. During flower it's 60 day and night, it's as low as i can go with two dehumidifiers running on full power

Watering

Feeding:
Veg: Canna Terra Vega 3ml/L, Canna CalMag 0.5ml/L, Cannazym 2.5ml/L, pH 6.0-6.2, water temp 24°C
Flower: Canna Flores 5ml/L, CalMag 0.5L/L, Cannazym 2.5ml/L, Cannaboost 2ml/L, Canna PK 0.3ml/L for entire flowering

Lights
From 10% to 70% in veg, in week1fl 80%, week2 90%, week3 100% @46cm from the canopy. Approx 1250 ppfd in the middle.

CO2
1200ppm during flower

Techniques:
I top 2 times, first time above 3rd node, second time above 3rd node too. Than scrogging. Defol before switch, than defol and lollipoping at the end of week 2 flower.

There is no light leaks, no temp or humidity fluctuations. Offgasing has come to my mind, but I have an air purifier with formaldehyde filter in it. I'm a little intense with the defol tho. And in the second week my plants stretched as hell and I had no time to rise the lights, they were @20cm 90%.

Also, there are no nanners at the canopy level. All of them are below canopy and not in the buds themselves, only in the spot where branch is dividing from main stem. Decided to pluck them off and see whats gonna happen.

Do you think those hermies are my fault, or is it Barneys unstable genetics? Ask any details, will upload photos if needed.
all lower buds? what are you using for heat...any glowing elements.....dehue or equipment with indicator lights? orange glow lights on power bars?

eFeNGee

eFeNGee

@Moe.Red
I will upload pics tomorrow, it's 1 AM in my time zone rn and i don't feel like getting out of bed. 😄 Hope i will find some nanners to take pics of, I spent 4 hours plucking them all off today. 😄 Other than that, there's nothing wrong with my ladies, it's end of week 3 flower and they look fabulous. Even the edges of fan leaves are getting a little frosty. 😄

@CookiesLikeWhoa
Actually its 60% RH during both day and night. Poor choice of words, my bad. 😄 What i was trying to say is that 60% rh is as low as i can get (during night).

@Mr.GreenthumbOG
Will do sir. It's not easy to find some good seeds in europe imho. I mean if you're looking for something more special. One of the reasons why I've built my grow room was to bring some new fire to the canna-community around me. I don't want to grow White Widow, Critical Kush, Northren lights etc. 😄 That's why i preferred Barney's Cali collection over anything else. But i recently got in touch with 🔌 who imports seeds from Compound genetics, lit farms etc. Gonna try these for my third grow. 💚

@PipeCarver
I see where you going mate. Every single diode or indicator light is covered with tape, the panel on AC is turned off. No heating needed, lights and dehumifiers warm up the room. It's so well insulated that only cooling is needed. I have 16 plants. 4 plants in 4 rows. Oddly enough, 3 out of 4 hermies are located furthest from the ac, dehum and any residue light that might glow through the tape. Also there are no nanners in the buds, only in the spot where the branch is growing out of the main stem. Will post pics tomorrow. 😊

Thanks for the replies, guys. Appreciate it 💚

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
@Moe.Red
I will upload pics tomorrow, it's 1 AM in my time zone rn and i don't feel like getting out of bed. 😄 Hope i will find some nanners to take pics of, I spent 4 hours plucking them all off today. 😄 Other than that, there's nothing wrong with my ladies, it's end of week 3 flower and they look fabulous. Even the edges of fan leaves are getting a little frosty. 😄

@CookiesLikeWhoa
Actually its 60% RH during both day and night. Poor choice of words, my bad. 😄 What i was trying to say is that 60% rh is as low as i can get (during night).

@Mr.GreenthumbOG
Will do sir. It's not easy to find some good seeds in europe imho. I mean if you're looking for something more special. One of the reasons why I've built my grow room was to bring some new fire to the canna-community around me. I don't want to grow White Widow, Critical Kush, Northren lights etc. 😄 That's why i preferred Barney's Cali collection over anything else. But i recently got in touch with 🔌 who imports seeds from Compound genetics, lit farms etc. Gonna try these for my third grow. 💚

@PipeCarver
I see where you going mate. Every single diode or indicator light is covered with tape, the panel on AC is turned off. No heating needed, lights and dehumifiers warm up the room. It's so well insulated that only cooling is needed. I have 16 plants. 4 plants in 4 rows. Oddly enough, 3 out of 4 hermies are located furthest from the ac, dehum and any residue light that might glow through the tape. Also there are no nanners in the buds, only in the spot where the branch is growing out of the main stem. Will post pics tomorrow. 😊

Thanks for the replies, guys. Appreciate it 💚
" It's not easy to find some good seeds in europe imh " try Bomb Seeds out of Netherlands. I want their Gorilla Bomb & Banana Bomb.++++....Bubble Bomb is one of the best I've grown...I have it growing now & some babies. I also grew their Cherry Bomb and I loved it, I'd grow her again...lost the strain do to bugs...

https://www.bombseeds.nl/

eFeNGee

eFeNGee

There are some pics I took before I left for work today. I was late , so they are not perfect, but good enough to make an idea of my tent. Any visible signs of stress exept the discoloration of one of the plants. That happened during week 2 when she stretched and the light got too close. This is the last day of week 3.
Will look for nanners when I come home and will post some better pictures. 😊 Tell me if you want any specific photo, I'm gonna try my best.

@PipeCarver thanks for the tip! Banana bomb looks absolutely stunning! Might give them a try. ✌

20220226 054720
20220226 054738
20220226 054759
20220226 054930
20220226 054948
20220226 055012
20220226 055014
20220226 055252
20220226 055258
20220226 055320
20220226 055340
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I think the herms are more due to genetics than anything. I've grown shiskaberry and runtz muffin from Barney's Farm and have not had issues. I currently have some blueberry cheese in young seedling stage. It's Barney's Farm too. With that said, this is not the first time I've heard of growers having issues with them. I'm inclined to believe some of their strains are more stable than others.

It may very well be the gorilla in the zkittlez.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
That’s what it did for me as well, gets harder to spot the clusters🍌, when there’s lots of buds to check. 👌

Gl. The plants look great and the smell and taste of the GZ is hard to beat.

eFeNGee

eFeNGee

Thanks for the replies. This is actually Wedding cake, but it's from the same 2021 Cali collection as Gorilla Zkittlez.
As bad as this situation gets, I'm still glad that it's probably genetics to blame, not me. 😄
I'll try plucking those nanners off and see what's gonna happen. In five weeks, I'm gonna post the results. ✌
Thanks again guys for your opinions! Appreciate it ❤

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Hello, growers.

Temps:
Seedling:
· Day 25°C
· Night 20°C
Veg
· Day 30°C
· Night 25°C
Flower
· Day 27°C
· Night 22°C

Humidity

Watering

Feeding:

Lights

CO2
1200ppm during flower

Techniques:

Perhaps try another known stable variety and see if you get hermies

Fairytalez

Fairytalez

Hey bud. My suggestion to you is to say.. screw Barney's, and give Herbies Seeds a try. Amazinggg company! And they are right out of Spain. So.. on your continental area. Plus they do some great stealth. To keep them more stealthy, I won't mention how exactly I have received them on here. But what I can say is that.. they have very very high ratings, prices are awesome, good genetics, someone to chat with on the site for help 24 hours a day, and.. they offer free seeds with your purchase. Can't go wrong with Herbies. I've bought a CRAP ton of seeds from them.. never any problems.

Top Bottom