Help. Seeding with dead first leaves.

• Thread starter Redgravemine
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Redgravemine

Redgravemine

Hi forum, long time no see.

Anyway I have a few seedlings I'm starting. Nothing intresting. Landrace ruderalis from a known source.

But, I came across a problem already. Out of 5 plants, one sprouted with black leaves. I watched it and the growth is way off. It's not growing properly and about 99% sure most if not all of the first 2 leaves are dead.
Is this plant worth it? Probably not, but depending on why it did this, I think I want to grow this one out, if possible.

So how can I help it along and/or keep it from dying.

Oh, I was trying out different things from the internet and I found how to make seed starting pots from newspaper. It sounded interesting so I decided to give it a try. I'm not impressed.

Help seeding with dead first leaves
Help seeding with dead first leaves 2
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The plants look to be way over watered, IMO. What type of medium are you growing in? I'm not familiar with Ruderalis plants, but they appear to be in need of a dryer living space. An idea of what type of equipment you are using and light info would help a lot. Truthfully, using old newspapers to make a growing pot doesn't sound half bad, but it shouldn't be soaked thru like that unless you just watered it before the photo. I would try to get a premium potting mix, like Miracle Grow or something, and try to transplant the dying plant, depending on how it's roots look. If they are rotting, there isn't much you can do. Keeping them damp, not wet or dry, is the best route. The roots need air and too much water can drown them.

Redgravemine

Redgravemine

The plants look to be way over watered, IMO. What type of medium are you growing in? I'm not familiar with Ruderalis plants, but they appear to be in need of a dryer living space. An idea of what type of equipment you are using and light info would help a lot. Truthfully, using old newspapers to make a growing pot doesn't sound half bad, but it shouldn't be soaked thru like that unless you just watered it before the photo. I would try to get a premium potting mix, like Miracle Grow or something, and try to transplant the dying plant, depending on how it's roots look. If they are rotting, there isn't much you can do. Keeping them damp, not wet or dry, is the best route. The roots need air and too much water can drown them.
Yes. I just watered it before the photo. At this time of year in the desert pots normally dry out in 24 hours.
When I first noticed this plant the second leaves hadn't started and the dirt was bone dry. It might have started as the opposite, too little water.

Ruderalis is the third type of weed. It's a wild weed that grows in russia, europe, and the northern part of the middle east. This particular strain is from poland and it's pretty much a weed there.

It's a low thc strain (which is fine for what I'm growing it for)
It's also super fast. From seed to harvest is between 45 and 60 days. If you are trying to get seeds it takes 3 weeks for the seeds to mature.

Weird things about this strain. It cannot tolorate chemical fertilizers. It does keep locusts away but it attracts aphids, and aphid bites make it hermie. And the two cool weird things, it dosen't require a lot of light (alot less then most weed plants) and the day night schedule is different (this subspecies prefers 19 to 20 hours sunlight and 4 to 5 hours light, but 24 hours of light won't hurt it)

My setup is long gone. I'm in the process of setting up something new, most likely an LED setup with some additions. Most of my seed collection left with my setup.)

And those plants are only 2 or 3 days from pop to now. 4 days. I've watered them 3 times in 4 days. The high today is 92 and tomorrow is 92 or 94 degrees, (outdoor weed in 110 degree weather and the soil dries out in less then 12 hours. ) I'm not planning on watering again till the soil is dry, but who knows when that'll be.

Well, if it is a watering problem I'll know when I start the next set of seeds later today

detroitjoe

detroitjoe

looks like the tips got damaged from breaking out of the seed shell....or the shell membrane got stuck to them.

dark purple stems show much resistance..is the soil loose or tite?

what on earth are you using ..paper bags and leaves? soggy leaves

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Hi forum, long time no see.

Anyway I have a few seedlings I'm starting. Nothing intresting. Landrace ruderalis from a known source.

But, I came across a problem already. Out of 5 plants, one sprouted with black leaves. I watched it and the growth is way off. It's not growing properly and about 99% sure most if not all of the first 2 leaves are dead.
Is this plant worth it? Probably not, but depending on why it did this, I think I want to grow this one out, if possible.

So how can I help it along and/or keep it from dying.

Oh, I was trying out different things from the internet and I found how to make seed starting pots from newspaper. It sounded interesting so I decided to give it a try. I'm not impressed.
dont water the whole pot first off ,babies you have,there roots are about 1in long ,go back away from the stem about 2in and water a circle around the plant to they get bigger,this prevents damping off,im with all others with the over watering,but i also think what ever it is your using is to hot for the babies and might be great for a maturing plant,or you had lights on and got leaves wet under the light,they are burnt tip for sure,interesting plant will be curious how it comes out,also add with them that small 1/4 water is all it would take even in the desert envorment,when they get bigger up the water if you dig

Ina

Ina

"This particular strain is from Poland and it's pretty much a weed there. "O,I don't want to disappoint you but in these countries there is no good ruderalis or whatever landrace....Mostly industrial hemp like,i was trying a lot,Serbian,ours, from some other countries around….I think Poland is no exception but I hope I am wrong!If it is from known source than hopefully it is something nice.....I have smoked really nice Albanian claimed as landrase,but it could be just mix of some sort,you never know..….

Redgravemine

Redgravemine

If it is from known source than hopefully it is something nice.....I have smoked really nice Albanian claimed as landrase,but it could be just mix of some sort,

Well, this species isn't all that special. The guy who collected it picked it up when he was in eastern europe and he may have done some breeding to bring the thc down but I've also heard it's a natural low thc strain. (Honestly too low. Although I'm also planning on growing infinity peppers this year. (Pest control on certain plants (crabapples)). Growing peppers is very different from growing weed. If you want hot peppers, you have to stress the plant alot. (First pepper grow a long time ago I grew jalapeno's and kept them non-stressed. I got a big plant, lots of jalapeno's, and between them all about as hot as black pepper. ))
On a totally different track, there is someone who if I keep plants that look too good around she steals them (my girls best friend. Ugh. She steals my plants. I think she'll leave the weed alone but not 100% sure)

I just know what to expect from these. Lots of stretching (ugh) in stronger light.

But, like I said before, I am doing something specific with these plants. No, all I will say is I have a species similer to "ruby red grapefruit"(not the weed strain, the grapefruit). If you get it and have experience there, I would like to ask a few questions.

I'll also start taking pics before watering instead of after.

Btw, that was most likely a mix. Most landrace strains aren't that good a smoke.

Man, too early. I rambled too much there
Use a spray bottle the next time you water. Less is more.
Every time I water seedings with a spray bottle instead of soil watering they die. It's way too hot and dry here.

Ina

Ina

Unfortunately I have no experience with grapefruits because they are harder to grow here.People are growing kiwi the south parts of BG,close to Greece....I was trying some lemons but they were in pot so I can take them in in the autumn....They grow such plants in Greece and Turkey,where is much more warmer all year.We are good at grape and wine:)
I grow lots of tomatoes ,onions,cucumbers and such......
On a totally different track, there is someone who if I keep plants that look too good around she steals them (my girls best friend. Ugh. She steals my plants. I think she'll leave the weed alone but not 100% sure)
Hahah,thats funny!I would took the weed:D
The guy who collected it picked it up when he was in eastern europe and he may have done some breeding to bring the thc down
He better bring it up instead of down:D But I dont know,may be some of these plants can produce good amount of CBD,may be they can be useful for medical purposes…...I'm talking about the "high",that there isn't any at all:)But yours could be different because I have never tried Poland's wilds and I am just guessing by some others so like i said hopefully I am wrong:)But some are really good looking,fat,different colors,some are flowering really fast,who knows.....May be for cooking...….

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

You have the Jonestown flood going on, when you say rundellis I assume those are autoflowers, first off what is your medium? What is your oh? I grow autoflowers all the time I use ffof, some claim this is a hot mix but my autos luv it, you want your ph at 6.0 to 6.5 if your ph is way off it will affect the plants, check your ph and let them dry out, if you want an autoflower with jet black leaves try cream cookie by fast buds see pic or dark devel by sweet seeds jet black leaves with blood red flower.

20181108 122518
Redgravemine

Redgravemine

I found a few kewl seeds at one of the seed shops.

Oh, here's the backstory on the grapefruit comment.

Ruby Red grapefruit was "artificially" created at the beginning of the 20th century in texas. The method they used is the same method used in irridating seeds and creating new strains from that.

I have a similer method I can employ which causes certain specific mutations. Most are good, some are creepy. They are all discussed in a post a long time ago. Look up oddball under my old posts. Very briefly, it self topped and repaired itself, ended up with 4 main stalks and 8 minor stalks, it was in a constant state of full node growth, different scents on each stalk, auto, movement beyond normal (creepy actually. I saw it kill a fly by hitting it), and extremely hard to germ seeds. I'm fairly sure, because of the method involved, that all the seeds are male.

Now, I really want to know what this one smokes like, so I'm growing out three of the seeds to see first off, if they are all male, and two, if so to get some seeds from breeding with various other plants so I can grow them out and eventually get something like the orginal plant but female.

To that end, I have two other strains, both neat, that I can breed it to. The ruderalis and some fire hemp smuggled out of china (it glows when you talk to it).

(Yes, I wouldn't mind a moving glowing plant "monster".)

Anyway, enough babbling about that, I let the plants dry out for 24 hours. Bone dry and one plant may have died. One did. I rewatered a little more, had a busy day, and the plants again are dry. The desert is harsh.

Screenshot 2019 06 01 201610
Screenshot 2019 06 01 044435
Screenshot 2019 06 01 043733
20190601 101658
20190601 101709
20190601 101649
20190601 101624
20190601 1016191
Reactions: Ina

Latest posts

Top Bottom