Help - Short and extremely dense plants

• Thread starter SpeedBump
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Literally my first grow indoors, I guess I'm just panicking because it's not what I expected.
I'm about 10 days behind you and know exactly what you mean. You were hoping for a bit more space to be able to top more "clearly". It is hard for us newbies at this stage but I think we just have to wing-it so to speak. You definitely have enough growth and nodes imo so get in there with pointy and sharp scissors and snip her

S

SpeedBump

Alright, I'm gonna give it a go when the light comes on at 7 tonight.

S

SpeedBump

We believe in you!!! How often are you watering though your plants look gorgeous
Once a day until I see about 10 seconds of run off. Pump is on for about 60 seconds. I've done a ton of reading and build a nice little setup. I did a few tomato/pepper plants first just to test it all out. I'm really just getting lucky I think, things could go south at any moment. lol

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I've got the light 4 feet above the canopy, I can't go any higher (although I could dim it). Do you think it's getting too much light? I was hoping to top it a few times, i just can't get in their to do it because it's so dense.
What is your DLI? That's going to tell you whats up.

2Bad

2Bad

Once a day until I see about 10 seconds of run off. Pump is on for about 60 seconds. I've done a ton of reading and build a nice little setup. I did a few tomato/pepper plants first just to test it all out. I'm really just getting lucky I think, things could go south at any moment. lol
Looking great though if you ask me hope you the best of luck

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Interesting - I've almost posted the same thing. I have four 3.5 gallon Air Pots with Coco Coir and I'm at the 5-week mark. I'm supposedly growing Sour Diesel, but these plants look nothing like sativas and everything like indicas. Fat thick leaves, short and bushy. They would be taller, but I topped them at the 5th node, then the 7th, then more-or-less the 9th. FIM'd one and it's REALLY bushy now, but I lopped a couple of branches sticking up after that as well.

I've never grown in coco before, and this kind of freaks me out. Never seen plants like them before. I'm wanting them to spread wide at this point as they've hit the first trellis net. But if they simply double in height at this point I'm going to be short on space to the light.

As for light - you simply need a PAR meter. Nothing else will really do, but least of all reading power/distance charts and measuring with a ruler, especially with a dimmer. I have a 4x4x7 tent, and I have about 18 inches above the light, which is recommended for heat control with my light. (HLG-600r). I could kick myself for not having bought an 8 foot high tent instead.

Last crop (soil) I let veg for a long time (over 3 months, but slow growth at start of that), and once the stretch happened I ran out of space quickly. But with a PAR meter and a dimmer switch I was able to keep the light from burning the buds. Just didn't get the even side-to-side coverage I would have had with more spacing.

I think some of this odd-looking density is due to the leaves being huge for size of plant.

I wonder if you also see wet spots on the top of leaves that were underneath upper leaves and touching?

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Interesting - I've almost posted the same thing. I have four 3.5 gallon Air Pots with Coco Coir and I'm at the 5-week mark. I'm supposedly growing Sour Diesel, but these plants look nothing like sativas and everything like indicas. Fat thick leaves, short and bushy. They would be taller, but I topped them at the 5th node, then the 7th, then more-or-less the 9th. FIM'd one and it's REALLY bushy now, but I lopped a couple of branches sticking up after that as well.

I've never grown in coco before, and this kind of freaks me out. Never seen plants like them before. I'm wanting them to spread wide at this point as they've hit the first trellis net. But if they simply double in height at this point I'm going to be short on space to the light.

As for light - you simply need a PAR meter. Nothing else will really do, but least of all reading power/distance charts and measuring with a ruler, especially with a dimmer. I have a 4x4x7 tent, and I have about 18 inches above the light, which is recommended for heat control with my light. (HLG-600r). I could kick myself for not having bought an 8 foot high tent instead.

Last crop (soil) I let veg for a long time (over 3 months, but slow growth at start of that), and once the stretch happened I ran out of space quickly. But with a PAR meter and a dimmer switch I was able to keep the light from burning the buds. Just didn't get the even side-to-side coverage I would have had with more spacing.

I think some of this odd-looking density is due to the leaves being huge for size of plant.

I wonder if you also see wet spots on the top of leaves that were underneath upper leaves and touching?
I’m not a gadgeteer. Don’t use a pH tester but use drops instead. But I agree 100% on the PAR meter. Bought a $150 Amazon special. Neighbors bought a top end Apogee. We tested them side by side. The differences were so minimal I’ll recommend the cheap one. I use it regularly.

GanjaFarmer24

GanjaFarmer24

I'm debating just taking the whole cluster at the top off (might be a few nodes) but at least then it'll grow a pair and I can work from their...

Yup, that's the right bit, just twist it off. Also feel free to clip off the biggest leaves, they just hold un-needed water in case of a dry spell. They block light from lower growth sites and kill airflow.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

I’m not a gadgeteer. Don’t use a pH tester but use drops instead. But I agree 100% on the PAR meter. Bought a $150 Amazon special. Neighbors bought a top end Apogee. We tested them side by side. The differences were so minimal I’ll recommend the cheap one. I use it regularly.
I tried drops and strips - drove me crazy trying to read them. Bought a $15 pH meter on Amazon, and turns out it read pretty far off on the high side. Didn't know that until last month when I started a DTW fertigation system. Bought a nice Bluelab controller for the reservoir, and it was at least a full point off the cheap meter. Went out and bought a $79 Bluelab pen and calibrated it. Matches the controller nicely. I set the controller to keep the pH at 6.0 in my reservoir. Sure is nice to have that chore taken care of automatically. I was seeing the pH change without it (rising). I started adding a bit of H2O2 to the water (2.5ml / gal of 33%), and that seemed to calm and clean my reservoir nicely.

I'm on my 3rd grow, and I'm attacking it with science and measurement and recipes, for the most part. Those with experience can diagnose a plant's needs and adjust things without much measurement, but I don't have that knowledge. I just have to follow a set of procedures and hope I'm keeping things between the rails. Growing in coco is quite different. I've never seen leaves as big before, or growth as quick.

I'm also having some issues managing the water supply. The plants are growing so fast that last week's twice-a-day feeding (20 seconds each), which produced heavy runoff, is now up to 4x a day at 30 seconds each and less runoff. There is a LOT of water going through those leaves.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

I tried drops and strips - drove me crazy trying to read them. Bought a $15 pH meter on Amazon, and turns out it read pretty far off on the high side. Didn't know that until last month when I started a DTW fertigation system. Bought a nice Bluelab controller for the reservoir, and it was at least a full point off the cheap meter. Went out and bought a $79 Bluelab pen and calibrated it. Matches the controller nicely. I set the controller to keep the pH at 6.0 in my reservoir. Sure is nice to have that chore taken care of automatically. I was seeing the pH change without it (rising). I started adding a bit of H2O2 to the water (2.5ml / gal of 33%), and that seemed to calm and clean my reservoir nicely.

I'm on my 3rd grow, and I'm attacking it with science and measurement and recipes, for the most part. Those with experience can diagnose a plant's needs and adjust things without much measurement, but I don't have that knowledge. I just have to follow a set of procedures and hope I'm keeping things between the rails. Growing in coco is quite different. I've never seen leaves as big before, or growth as quick.

I'm also having some issues managing the water supply. The plants are growing so fast that last week's twice-a-day feeding (20 seconds each), which produced heavy runoff, is now up to 4x a day at 30 seconds each and less runoff. There is a LOT of water going through those leaves.
If I was in hydro again I’d be equipped. But I use Pro Mix and recently started running Sunshine 4 Advanced. Run a copy of Jack’s 321 and feed every time. 8 strains going and only 1 has objected. But it was a sign to roll the calcium nitrate back a bit. I use municipal tap water I haul. Don’t even adjust pH and don’t care. More importantly neither do the plants.

S

SpeedBump

I haven't seen any water droplets yet, I do have a fan circulating the air though and the humidifier set to 45% (exhaust fan comes on at 55%)

S

SpeedBump

I have a live ec/ph meter (always in the nutrient solution) and I check it daily and calibrate before each grow. Seems to be pretty accurate for a $50 aliexpress purchase.

Bullmark69

Bullmark69

I guess I need a light meter or something to check that...I haven't a clue.
I think DLI is daily light intake….basically measures the totality of the light intake factoring in the amount of photons the plant is getting from your particular light.
Honestly 48” above the canopy is higher than I’ve ever seen for established plants.
Your plants aren’t leggy, just the opposite so it may not be a limiting factor.
What’s the wattage of your light? And you’re just growing the one plant?
i wouldn’t worry about it being short and stocky. The stems are thick and healthy, so once you flip that thing could jump to over twice it’s current height.
I’d top it for sure, at least once and fill your space.

Top Bottom