HELP SOIL PH OUT OF RANGE 4.5 TO 5 5 ???

• Thread starter Massgrower98
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Massgrower98

Massgrower98

I just used my gro line soil ph meter for the first time and I checked my super soil's ph outside in my smart pots and its ranging from 4.5 to 5.5... should I raise it? and what should I use/ add to raise the ph of the soil to 6.5, 7 ?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Did you calibrate your Ph meter? The figures you quoted are pretty acidic and probably won't support much of anything. There are a lot of things to raise your Ph, but if the Ph is constantly swinging or you are fighting to keep it in range, then you will probably have problems with lockouts and similar issues, as nutrient availability changes greatly with Ph values. Calcium carbonate is a good addition, but it cantake a little while to do it's magic. Other forms of calcium include lime, which will make a very fast change in Ph, but it can overshoot the goal and make the soil too alkaline. I usually stick to Promix, which is buffered to keep the Ph in the 6-7 range.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
You can use the acid soil to grow blueberries.
Blueberries, Azeleas, Hydrangeas all like acidic soils... but that is pretty acidic even for them. The acid rain in Northern Canada damn near killed off large parts of the forest up there in the 70s... including a lot of blueberries. It was a big deal as the berries are a ig part of the diet up there for critters. This is what I was thinking when I made my post, although I don't know what the Ph of the acid rain was.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I just used my gro line soil ph meter for the first time and I checked my super soil's ph outside in my smart pots and its ranging from 4.5 to 5.5... should I raise it? and what should I use/ add to raise the ph of the soil to 6.5, 7 ?
That's one of those probe meters, they are notoriously inaccurate, I wouldn't trust it

Ina

Ina

Stones,lime and such raise the PH,also ashes.....But what is the containing of that super soil?Usually(to me) to raise it is the easiest but to lower it is harder........:)But yes,first check it that meter is acurate before take action on the soil and feeding,also check your plants!!!!!!

mancorn

mancorn

That's one of those probe meters, they are notoriously inaccurate, I wouldn't trust it
Mines seems right on.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Stones,lime and such raise the PH,also ashes.....But what is the containing of that super soil?Usually(to me) to raise it is the easiest but to lower it is harder........:)But yes,first check it that meter is acurate before take action on the soil and feeding,also check your plants!!!!!!
Yes Lime will increase ph , iron will lower it .

Reactions: Ina
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The probe might be accurate when measuring a solution's Ph, but when measuring in a growing medium, ther is a lot of organic matter that can influence the reading. A more accurate way would be to collect the runoff and test it, since it will be in solution that is opretty much the same as the root zone. You might even see a difference between the first part of the runoff and after it ran for a little.

mancorn

mancorn

The probe might be accurate when measuring a solution's Ph, but when measuring in a growing medium, ther is a lot of organic matter that can influence the reading. A more accurate way would be to collect the runoff and test it, since it will be in solution that is opretty much the same as the root zone. You might even see a difference between the first part of the runoff and after it ran for a little.
I was just being a smart ass as these meters are completely useless and sit at 7 no matter what. (Even in a box of baking soda, with a pH of 9. It was a joke.)

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I was just being a smart ass as these meters are completely useless and sit at 7 no matter what. (Even in a box of baking soda, with a pH of 9. It was a joke.)
I have work in the Horticultural industry for many many years never once have seen or will I see one on those static ph7 meters in use we use the dye n powder test it never fails .

weedtech

weedtech

Supporter
Are you measuring run-off? AFAIK, the only accepted methods are collecting and measuring runoff from a flush/watering/feeding.

For many reasons - attempting to measure anything but a liquid is not going to be repeatable or very useful. I know that is inconvenient but there you are.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
If you try to raise your Ph with something, it is sort of tricky to do depending on what you are using to raise the Ph. Regular gardening lime works great for raising Ph, but it takes a while to do it and it keeps raising for quite a while if just a little too much is used. It's great to work into a soil mix but I have seen a lot of dead plants that were fried by using it. Calcium carbonate is a little more forgiving and sort of self regulates to keep Ph near the 6-7 mark in acidic environs, but it too can also cause swings that go too far.
It isn't so much as wat you use rather thanhow it is used. Unless you can mix it into the root zone, you will have to put in increasingly high Ph stuff and hope it trickles down into the root zone, but that seldom happens without having too high of a Ph on the top. Wood ashes mixed into water might work, but they have a lot of potassium and minerals init and can mess with feeding and nutrient balances. It's just complicated as hell, in my opinion. It can certainly be done but I would be very hesitant about it myself. Consider this a lesson learned and the next time, try to make sure that your medium is in good condition before planting. I'm not criticizing you as this is part of growing and I and most older growers have made more mistakes than birthdays. Keep up the good work but use restraint and have patience... plants do things on their own schedule and don't change much.

Top Bottom