Help - Stunted Plant

• Thread starter Joe_420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Joe_420

Joe_420

Hi,

I'm a new grower but pretty well researched and can't figure out why my plant isn't taking off. Any help would be appreciated

Situation
- Bought a clone 2.5 weeks ago, which was quite small and tip of one leaf was yellow
- I transplanted from dixie cup to 1 quart container with drainage holes to give a little more room for the roots although I noticed the roots were small while transplanting
- Using a mixture of 50% organic soil (compost, manure, peat moss, topsoil) and 50% coco coir
- original yellow leaf became about 75% dead so I pulled it off 6 days ago in hopes it would divert energy to healthy leaves
- was adding a small amount of water every 2 days but it seemed slightly damp so I've changed to three days to let dry out a little more
- Started adding very small amount of nuts (organic marine based) about 1 week ago
- I'm growing in a condo that faces SW with lots of natural light. It's in a south window inside half the day and on our west facing balcony the other half (kept inside at night)
- Temp is between 73-83

Symptoms
- Plant has barely grown; it's 6-7"
- Very small leaves
- Slightly yellow / browning tips
- I don't think the root system is developing very well

In the end, I think it is just a shitty clone but any insight would be appreciated. Climate conditions should be right so not sure what the issue is.

Thanks!

Help   stunted plant
Help   stunted plant 2
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Looks like it could be too many nutrients in the soil, and/or too cold in the rootzone, either way the roots arent happy. Rarely is it the plants fault for looking how it do.. lol.

Joe_420

Joe_420

Looks like it could be too many nutrients in the soil, and/or too cold in the rootzone, either way the roots arent happy. Rarely is it the plants fault for looking how it do.. lol.
I don't think its the temp because these guys haven't dropped below 70F. I wish they were better rooted in the rockwool before being moved to the solo cup by the guy who cloned them. Anyway to kick start the root growth?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I don't think its the temp because these guys haven't dropped below 70F. I wish they were better rooted in the rockwool before being moved to the solo cup by the guy who cloned them. Anyway to kick start the root growth?

Cant really recommend anything since I dont know the particulars of your soil. If it's hot already I'd be wrong to recommend feeding anything. If it was in pure coco i would recommend a low dose of bloom fertilizer and maybe some B1 and let them dry up quite a bit to go looking for water.

Since it's in rockwool, next few times you water, just put the water around the outside of the pot and try to avoid getting the cube wet. It could be holding too much moisture which will lead to a cold rootzone and lack of oxygen as well. Plus the roots wont grow out if they have plenty of water in the wool.

Joe_420

Joe_420

Cant really recommend anything since I dont know the particulars of your soil. If it's hot already I'd be wrong to recommend feeding anything. If it was in pure coco i would recommend a low dose of bloom fertilizer and maybe some B1 and let them dry up quite a bit to go looking for water.

Since it's in rockwool, next few times you water, just put the water around the outside of the pot and try to avoid getting the cube wet. It could be holding too much moisture which will lead to a cold rootzone and lack of oxygen as well. Plus the roots wont grow out if they have plenty of water in the wool.
Makes sense, thanks! FYI soil is a mixture of 50% organic 4 in 1 potting soil (compost, manure, peat moss, topsoil) and 50% coco coir. I was thinking the coco coir would help dilute some of the nutes

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
It might, but honestly I prefer using one or the other, I do not like to hybridize growing methods, especially if it's on a whim and you dont really have any documented reasoning for doing so.
I'd say for next time either grow in coco, or soil, but not both.

What brand of coco did you use? Canna is fine out of the bag but most other brands require heavy rinsing and a calcium charge soak before use.

Joe_420

Joe_420

It might, but honestly I prefer using one or the other, I do not like to hybridize growing methods, especially if it's on a whim and you dont really have any documented reasoning for doing so.
I'd say for next time either grow in coco, or soil, but not both.

What brand of coco did you use? Canna is fine out of the bag but most other brands require heavy rinsing and a calcium charge soak before use.
Coco coir brand is "Milleniumsoils Coir". Purchased from a hydroponics store.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Coco coir brand is "Milleniumsoils Coir". Purchased from a hydroponics store.
Probably salty AF. If you didnt rinse it well, you probably should have.

If you still have some, and also have a ppm meter I'd do a slurry test. 2 parts water and 1 part coco should read below 100ppm ideally. If over that you need to rinse, and recharge with calmag, then flush with nutrient solution before you can use it. That's why I use Canna. It's good to go straight from the bag.

Dr.B

Dr.B

Your soil is too hot. No additional nutes required. Try to resist the urge to pluck the yellow leaves. Your plant is not diverting energy to them, its drawing energy from them.

I would flush it good and let it dry out.

Dr.B

Dr.B

You can aerate the rockwool carefully with a clean pin to help it dry out faster!

FourthCity

FourthCity

Hi,

I'm a new grower but pretty well researched and can't figure out why my plant isn't taking off. Any help would be appreciated

Situation
- Bought a clone 2.5 weeks ago, which was quite small and tip of one leaf was yellow
- I transplanted from dixie cup to 1 quart container with drainage holes to give a little more room for the roots although I noticed the roots were small while transplanting
- Using a mixture of 50% organic soil (compost, manure, peat moss, topsoil) and 50% coco coir
- original yellow leaf became about 75% dead so I pulled it off 6 days ago in hopes it would divert energy to healthy leaves
- was adding a small amount of water every 2 days but it seemed slightly damp so I've changed to three days to let dry out a little more
- Started adding very small amount of nuts (organic marine based) about 1 week ago
- I'm growing in a condo that faces SW with lots of natural light. It's in a south window inside half the day and on our west facing balcony the other half (kept inside at night)
- Temp is between 73-83

Symptoms
- Plant has barely grown; it's 6-7"
- Very small leaves
- Slightly yellow / browning tips
- I don't think the root system is developing very well

In the end, I think it is just a shitty clone but any insight would be appreciated. Climate conditions should be right so not sure what the issue is.

Thanks!
I'm not disagreeing with anything that dirtbag is saying and I don't wan't to discourage you but I feel its important to point out that trying to grow indoors using natural light in a space that isn't designed for it will not produce useful results. Don't expect more than a few grams of fluffy weak bud without a grow light or a proper outdoor greenhouse. If you are ok with a small plant that wont produce much (not trying to be sarcastic, maybe this is more like a houseplant for you) than keep doing what you are doing and taking dirtbags advice, it doesnt look too bad all things considered.

Joe_420

Joe_420

I'm not disagreeing with anything that dirtbag is saying and I don't wan't to discourage you but I feel its important to point out that trying to grow indoors using natural light in a space that isn't designed for it will not produce useful results. Don't expect more than a few grams of fluffy weak bud without a grow light or a proper outdoor greenhouse. If you are ok with a small plant that wont produce much (not trying to be sarcastic, maybe this is more like a houseplant for you) than keep doing what you are doing and taking dirtbags advice, it doesnt look too bad all things considered.
Appreciate the advice. Really just trying to get a mid-sized plant growing here, not going for crazy yields or size. I'd add that my balcony gets plenty of direct SW sun so that doesn't seem to be a big issue.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
You should be fine on your balcony if the plant can get unobstructed, direct sunlight for 8-10 hrs a day.

FourthCity

FourthCity

Appreciate the advice. Really just trying to get a mid-sized plant growing here, not going for crazy yields or size. I'd add that my balcony gets plenty of direct SW sun so that doesn't seem to be a big issue.
It may not seem like a big issue but even adding a small supplemental 50-100 watt led board would increase your yield several hundred percent, it would be the single easiest thing you can change to improve your grow. Try not to see your windows for all the light they let in, see your condo for all the light it obstructs.

Joe_420

Joe_420

It may not seem like a big issue but even adding a small supplemental 50-100 watt led board would increase your yield several hundred percent, it would be the single easiest thing you can change to improve your grow. Try not to see your windows for all the light they let in, see your condo for all the light it obstructs.
I was thinking that as well. Will definitely be my next move!

Dr.B

Dr.B

"Anyway to kick start the root growth?"

When cloning I tip the leaves. Cutting them halfway back lessens the water they can pull from the air and stimulating a survival/root growth reaction so they can instead drink from the ground.... Through roots lol

In the past I have re-trimmed struggling clones, usually with success... Never after planting though.

Roots grow in mostly dry soil, they spread out to seek water. I believe this mostly happens at night. De-chlorinate your water at the very least, pH monitoring and manipulation would help much more. Water in the morning, around the perimeter of the pot and let them get a little dry between waterings/before bed.

Should all go to happier roots.

Your call on the trim job. 😉

Greatlakes

Greatlakes

Why not invest in some mykos WP? The whole point of it is to help the roots explode with growth.

And btw... I grow In 100% composted manure and have to amend the crap out of it.

Anyways good luck

sambapati

sambapati

Your soil is too hot. No additional nutes required. Try to resist the urge to pluck the yellow leaves. Your plant is not diverting energy to them, its drawing energy from them.

I would flush it good and let it dry out.
Try flushing with CLUB SODA...the roots dig it.

Top Bottom